Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, my 2017 lease is up in a few months. The tires will need to be replaced, so the question is, should I wait for them to charge me or should I just go and get tires? Does anyone know how much they would charge? Is there any reason why I shouldn't just go buy cheap tires? GM said that the brand doesn't matter as long as the dimensions and all tires match.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
If they are below minimum acceptable wear for lease return then get the cheapest tires you can in the correct size.

Keith

PS: If you are purchasing a used lease return Bolt, check the tires and demand $$$ off if they don't have the stock self sealing LRR tires :)

·
Registered
857 Posts
This has been a hot topic for those of us who leased. I have heard from others each of the following:
1) 2017 was the last year that Michelin warranted the OEM tires for tread wear, they are 65k mile rated and you can get a pro-rated discount off new tires if you can show receipts for rotation to a authored Michelin dealer

2)one person I know put the cheapest tires on he could and was dinged some $ for them not being the same as the OEM speed grade, I am pretty sure the lease turn in stipulates that, same as OEM size AND speed grade

3) another individual turned in a lease with bald tires and was never charged anything, excessive wear report came back as $0 owed.

4) last data point I have was an individual that turned a Bolt with worn tires and was charged $150 each, $600 excessive wear

My lease went back with marginal tires, with our current situation I don't expect my lease wear report for at least 6- 10 weeks, best guess

Good luck whatever you decide...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fantastic, thanks guys. I would suspect maybe that if I go with a Chevy again, they may not charge me. Guess I can find out with the dealer I go with.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Fantastic, thanks guys. I would suspect maybe that if I go with a Chevy again, they may not charge me. Guess I can find out with the dealer I go with.
careful with your assumption, assuming your lease is with gm financial the new vehicle lease is decoupled from the excess wear and tear assessment done at a later time, your lease termination fee will be waived when you lease or purchase a new GM vehicle the same day as the turn in,however the lease disposition report will be done by GM financial and mailed to you weeks later.

When you leased you were likely offered "excess wear and tear insurance" I am assuming you did not purchase this, I did not, but I understand that it typically does cover tires

·
Registered
161 Posts
It covered tires and there is no frickin way the OEM tires are good for 65,000 miles. I meticulously monitor tire pressure and rotations, I am a conservative driver, and they were JUST BARELY at the legal limit at 36,000 miles.

If many others report they do get 65,000 miles then I got a bad batch. Yes, tires of same make and model can vary significantly. It is carbon in the tires that give them strength and also their black color. Minute differences in the amount or quality of carbon makes a big difference.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
It covered tires and there is no frickin way the OEM tires are good for 65,000 miles. I meticulously monitor tire pressure and rotations, I am a conservative driver, and they were JUST BARELY at the legal limit at 36,000 miles.

If many others report they do get 65,000 miles then I got a bad batch. Yes, tires of same make and model can vary significantly. It is carbon in the tires that give them strength and also their black color. Minute differences in the amount or quality of carbon makes a big difference.
You must have gotten a bad batch. I am at 55,000 miles, and not down to minimum tread depth yet... I will probably replace around 60,000 miles.

Keith

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Road surface is also a factor. In the deep south where twisty country roads were either a tar-and-steel-slag mixture or an asphalt and oyster shell aggregate, those roads would eat tires like popcorn. In California, with long straight roads of concrete or smooth asphalt, the same tire on the same car would last half-again longer.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I've been on 100% California pavement. No salt or off roading. But yes I see your point. All four of mine wore evenly (fronts slightly faster) but alignment was good all around. In the past I've had tires with warranty wear out in half the time and the maker happily gave me 50% off the cost the new set. I think they may do that on purpose. Kind of locks you into staying with one brand. Probably the mark-up is huge. 50% is probably the right price. So you get penalized for changing brands.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My question is, do they have to be the self seal type that the OEMs are? Otherwise I'll go with the same size/speed rating from a lower level brand. Need to turn in my Bolt in the next 3 months. I've got 32K on them.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Wouldn't this be on the agreement for the lease?
I would think somewhere it would list it out specifically other wise how would they win in court if it is not clearly stated?
I did not lease, nor have I ever, I am just curious

·
Registered
15 Posts
Wouldn't this be on the agreement for the lease?
I would think somewhere it would list it out specifically other wise how would they win in court if it is not clearly stated?
I did not lease, nor have I ever, I am just curious
It may, need to find the agreement. Doesn't matter now as I found out through a GM Financial chat that they just have to be same size and speed rating. Took a screen shot as well as clips of the chat stating so, as back up.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm doing a lease return next week in California on my 2017 Bolt (cheap model). Here's everything I did to get an answer to the question about whether I should replace the bald tires myself, or just return it with them bald. First, I went to gmfinancial.com, clicked the chat, and asked them to send me a digital copy of my lease, which got lost during our home remodel. I then looked under section 11 for optional products and services to see if I had purchased the excessive wear insurance for an extra @$900. I had not. I then went to section 23, item (c), titled "Standards of Wear and Use", and read the following sentence "Repairs, including tires, must be made with original equipment manufacturer's parts or those of equal quality...". It also talks about tire wear measurement, but mine are clearly bald. I then called discount tire store to get a quote for the original Michelin Energy Saver A/S 215/50R17 91H, which were $861 total out the door. They had a Firestones for $477.80 total, and a Westlakes for $280 total. I don't think those meet the "equal quality" clause. That's a judgement call. I then called my mechanic (local shop) and asked the fee for used tire installation, and was quoted @$150. I then searched online for used Michelin A/S tires that meet OEM spec, and was only able to come close, but they didn't meet the weight rating (lots of googling to learn about tire ratings), and they were @$75/each, so I'd be looking at $450 to risk that being noticed by my mechanic and/or gmfinancial. Then, finally, I called the guy at the dealership who processes leases returns and asked what to do. He said that GM Financial will put OEM tires on it, but that they will charge me wholesale rather than retail. He said that it's actually, usually, cheaper to return the car with the tires below spec than to replace them on your own. I know. I know. I should have called him first!

So, in conclusion, I plan to return the car with almost completely bald tires because that seems like the cheapest option. By the way, I'm at 32K miles, and there's nearly no tread left at the center of any of the tires... Oh, and I can't find a tire shop that's willing to process OEM Michelin tires for the warranty claim that's discussed above. I asked. I was told it's not possible, but they also mentioned that warranties on tire wear are pro-rated based on millage, so even if they gave me half off of the new tires, sold at the retail price, I don't see it being worth my time when I'm told that gmfinancial will only charge me the wholesale price.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm doing a lease return next week in California on my 2017 Bolt (cheap model). Here's everything I did to get an answer to the question about whether I should replace the bald tires myself, or just return it with them bald. First, I went to gmfinancial.com, clicked the chat, and asked them to send me a digital copy of my lease, which got lost during our home remodel. I then looked under section 11 for optional products and services to see if I had purchased the excessive wear insurance for an extra @$900. I had not. I then went to section 23, item (c), titled "Standards of Wear and Use", and read the following sentence "Repairs, including tires, must be made with original equipment manufacturer's parts or those of equal quality...". It also talks about tire wear measurement, but mine are clearly bald. I then called discount tire store to get a quote for the original Michelin Energy Saver A/S 215/50R17 91H, which were $861 total out the door. They had a Firestones for $477.80 total, and a Westlakes for $280 total. I don't think those meet the "equal quality" clause. That's a judgement call. I then called my mechanic (local shop) and asked the fee for used tire installation, and was quoted @$150. I then searched online for used Michelin A/S tires that meet OEM spec, and was only able to come close, but they didn't meet the weight rating (lots of googling to learn about tire ratings), and they were @$75/each, so I'd be looking at $450 to risk that being noticed by my mechanic and/or gmfinancial. Then, finally, I called the guy at the dealership who processes leases returns and asked what to do. He said that GM Financial will put OEM tires on it, but that they will charge me wholesale rather than retail. He said that it's actually, usually, cheaper to return the car with the tires below spec than to replace them on your own. I know. I know. I should have called him first!

So, in conclusion, I plan to return the car with almost completely bald tires because that seems like the cheapest option. By the way, I'm at 32K miles, and there's nearly no tread left at the center of any of the tires... Oh, and I can't find a tire shop that's willing to process OEM Michelin tires for the warranty claim that's discussed above. I asked. I was told it's not possible, but they also mentioned that warranties on tire wear are pro-rated based on millage, so even if they gave me half off of the new tires, sold at the retail price, I don't see it being worth my time when I'm told that gmfinancial will only charge me the wholesale price.
Yeah I wouldn't trust the dealer. I saw on another forum where someone was charged a high amount from gm financial, they posted the bill they got (I'll try to find it) and I wanna say it was at least 150 per tire. I found a used set of firestones online for 200 with 7/32 tread shipped and am getting them installed by my bro in laws shop.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts

There is a set of 4 virtually new OEM tires for sale in the "for sale" section of the forum... perhaps that is an option?

Also, a lot of people think a tire is Bald when it still meets minimum thread depth. I was at 57,000 miles when I replaced my tires, and they were right at the start of the "yellow zone" at 5/32" of thread depth, no where near the red zone. with your 32,000 mile tires I would recommend spending $5.00 on a tread depth checker rather than spending hundreds of dollars on new tires for a lease return without actually checking your tires first.

Keith

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yeah I wouldn't trust the dealer. I saw on another forum where someone was charged a high amount from gm financial, they posted the bill they got (I'll try to find it) and I wanna say it was at least 150 per tire. I found a used set of firestones online for 200 with 7/32 tread shipped and am getting them installed by my bro in laws shop.
I'll post what they charge me when it happens. $150/tire is considerably cheaper than what I was quoted at the tire store.

·
Registered
58 Posts
There is a set of 4 virtually new OEM tires for sale in the "for sale" section of the forum... perhaps that is an option?

Also, a lot of people think a tire is Bald when it still meets minimum thread depth. I was at 57,000 miles when I replaced my tires, and they were right at the start of the "yellow zone" at 5/32" of thread depth, no where near the red zone. with your 32,000 mile tires I would recommend spending $5.00 on a tread depth checker rather than spending hundreds of dollars on new tires for a lease return without actually checking your tires first.

Keith
GM Financial actually mailed me a plastic tread depth checker, but they're at 0. The entire middle part of all tires has basically no tread.

I'll go look at the for sale section. Thanks.

·
Registered
195 Posts
It may, need to find the agreement. Doesn't matter now as I found out through a GM Financial chat that they just have to be same size and speed rating. Took a screen shot as well as clips of the chat stating so, as back up.
My experience to date is that GM Financial is one of the more clueless groups of people on the planet. Their web site is a complete clusterf**k.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys, my 2017 lease is up in a few months. The tires will need to be replaced, so the question is, should I wait for them to charge me or should I just go and get tires? Does anyone know how much they would charge? Is there any reason why I shouldn't just go buy cheap tires? GM said that the brand doesn't matter as long as the dimensions and all tires match.
Hey there, did you ever return your car with lessor tires that were not self sealing but same size, speed rating?

I have bald front tires and the rear are at the cusp of 4/32", looking to replace the front two with some Conti's but I saw your comment about GM Financial saying as long as it's the same size/speed rating and all four tires are the same, if i replaced the fronts with Conti's, I may get charged anyway so might hold off.

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts