Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this on Reddit /r/chevybolt...
For a week before 11/26, I was scouring the internet departments of the local Chevy dealerships here in Southern California for a white Premier fully loaded. Of the 4 dealerships near me (that I was willing to drive to), there was only one. And it already had nearly 50 miles on it since it was a dealer trade. Two other dealerships had them "in transit".

I worked with these two dealership to get the lease where I wanted it to be. Both were close to the number I wanted. So, I went with the closer of the two. I was told during the negotiations that the car was "in transit" and they said it was due in on Dec 11th. Ok I thought. So drove down to the dealership to put my deposit down on it. Turns out, they would only "contract" it out, not a deposit. Essentially, I would be leasing a car sight unseen and not even on the lot. I called the other dealership, and they said they would have to do the same thing. Apparently (at least what they told me), white Premier is hard to come by so they wont put deposits, they just sell/lease it while it is in transit. Then I get it as soon as it lands in the dealership.

So, against my better judgement, I sign the lease and wait anxiously. But during the whole hubbub, the finance manager says that the date was actually Dec 9. Ok i thought, that's even better.

Dec 9 rolls by and I get a text. My car is in California now, but it at the distribution center. It is 1 of 200 or so cars that need to go through "quality assurance", it may not be ready until the 14th. Ugh!

Today, I get a text from the sales guy "In the past 24 hours we received a number of pre-contracted Bolt EVs, unfortunately, yours has not come yet. I will keep you posted" .... WHAT IS THAT? Rubbing salt on the wound? Come on.

So, now I wait and see what happens. Meanwhile, I am leasing a car which I have never seen, smelled, or touched. And my first payment is due in about a week and a half.

Anyone have similar experience and want to commiserate?

·
Registered
979 Posts
Oh boy. How can a dealer transfer legal title* to a lessor for a vehicle in transit… Unless the lessor is the dealer’s own leasing company ? It certainly won’t be GM Financial will it ?
*title passes from GM to dealer at time of factory shipment

Sounds like a scam. Is this common practice in California ?

Have them cancel the lease and re-write it as of the date of delivery to you !

·
Registered
10 Posts
I did the same thing, but it only took 14 days for my car to show up. Sorry to hear yours is taking so long. I think there's a good argument to be made for asking the dealer to make the first and second lease payments for you.

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
Oh boy. How can a dealer transfer legal title* to a lessor for a vehicle in transit… Unless the lessor is the dealer’s own leasing company ? It certainly won’t be GM Financial will it ?
*title passes from GM to dealer at time of factory shipment

Sounds like a scam. Is this common practice in California ?

Have them cancel the lease and re-write it as of the date of delivery to you !
Lease incentives in November were better, so OP probably doesn't want them to re-do the deal.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Lease incentives in November were better, so OP probably doesn't want them to re-do the deal.
Aha. So let's have our cake and eat it too !:p I no longer have a tear in my glass eye for the OP.

Still don't understand how these guys get away with title issues and delivery date reporting/warranty effective date to GM. What if the vehicle falls off the railcar or transport while you're "leasing" it. Will your insurance cover that ? Otherwise the GM/dealer/carrier insurance might be as much as $1 a pound.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I went in to the dealership thinking I was putting a deposit on an agreed terms. I didn't know I would be signing contract. Nor did I know that terms might have changed between Nov and Dec.

That being said, dealership called and said that the lease had not actually been sent in yet. So, depending on when the car arrives, we will start the lease on delivery. What I don't know is if in fact terms have changed, and if so what does that mean for the deal I made in Nov?

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
I had to buy my Summit White Premier sight unseen. And waited and waited for it to go through shipping. Was seven weeks from date of build till I got it. Most of the time was due to "shipping".

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had to buy my Summit White Premier sight unseen. And waited and waited for it to go through shipping. Was seven weeks from date of build till I got it. Most of the time was due to "shipping".
Lease or buy? And what was your contract date?

·
Registered
70 Posts
For a reference on current transit time - I put a deposit on a Bolt that was to be built on 11/27. The dealer told me two days ago it is expected at the dealership on 12/21. This is in Northern California.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm in a similar boat but I expected this due to prior research and reading on Chevy doing this (lease before arrival). I don't know when my car was built but the invoice/shipped date is 11/21 and it was supposed to arrive 12/11. I signed paperwork as of December 2nd. The guys have been great communicating with me on a regular basis, it's sitting in Mira Loma waiting to board the famous truck to the dealership in SoCal. Every day we cross our fingers though! :laugh:

·
Registered
979 Posts
What I don't know is if in fact terms have changed, and if so what does that mean for the deal I made in Nov?
Dealer needs to answer that question. If lessor's terms (rate or residual) changed between Nov and Dec will dealer suck up the difference. Or will he push it on to you ?

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
Lease or buy? And what was your contract date?
Unless they are doing some back dating to November (which is all kinds of shady), they will not be able to apply last month's incentives.

Though supposedly leasing in CA/OR/CARB states got BETTER this month, according to carsdirect.com. That's strange, since I've seen actual Chevy dealers in CA state lease incentives have decreased $1,100 this month compared to last.

Maybe since GM is offering employee pricing, dealers can offset whatever decrease in lease incentives as they are getting more money back from GM on each deal through the employee pricing program.

https://www.carsdirect.com/2017/chevrolet/bolt-ev

·
Registered
979 Posts
Yes bro it seems strange to me too. I don’t know about the impact of GM Employee discount on Bolt (USA only:mad:).

But in general, don’t lease residuals tend to slide downward over the model year.. unless the lease guide has suddenly found more residual value in Bolt EV ?

And with the present uncertainty surrounding the longevity of the $7,500 US tax credit, why would now be a good time for the marketer to put on additional residual pack or rate support to the Bolt EV ?

Is GM really that desperate for ZEV’s credits by December 31st.. ( does the vehicle have to land in the hands of the consumer/end user in order to clock a ZEV credit..?)

I’m glad of our “system” here in Canada. No discounts from MSRP. No support from the “standard” lease terms nor the raw ALG residuals. No employee/supplier discounts.
No skullduggery at the dealership trying to bookkeep timing of the sale into the period which gives him the best payout.

We live a more simple & satisfying life. The only problem is that it gets too friggin cold.
;)

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
Yes bro it seems strange to me too. I don’t know about the impact of GM Employee discount on Bolt (USA only:mad:).

But in general, don’t lease residuals tend to slide downward over the model year.. unless the lease guide has suddenly found more residual value in Bolt EV ?

And with the present uncertainty surrounding the longevity of the $7,500 US tax credit, why would now be a good time for the marketer to put on additional residual pack or rate support to the Bolt EV ?

Is GM really that desperate for ZEV’s credits by December 31st.. ( does the vehicle have to land in the hands of the consumer/end user in order to clock a ZEV credit..?)

I’m glad of our “system” here in Canada. No discounts from MSRP. No support from the “standard” lease terms nor the raw ALG residuals. No employee/supplier discounts.
No skullduggery at the dealership trying to bookkeep timing of the sale into the period which gives him the best payout.

We live a more simple & satisfying life. The only problem is that it gets too friggin cold.
;)
Based off what I've gathered from leasing forums, Bolt leases on average have increased $1,500-2,500 in total out of pocket terms for a 36 month lease compared to last month. Of course, there will be exceptions (dealer desperate to hit some end of year/quarter goal and are willing to lose their pants on a sale, Bolt or otherwise).

Residuals don't usually change much till January or when a new MY is released. Money factor/interest % can change from month to month though

1 - 15 of 15 Posts