Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I test drove a Bolt today and when I pressed the salesman about the seat material, he admitted that the "leather" seats in the Premier version were actually "leatherette" (read: vinyl). why does everyone keep calling it "leather" if it's not really leather??

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV LT
271 Posts
I had a similar discovery recently while researching my seat upholstery options. Vinyl IS pretty convincing these days but the whole "leather" upgrade option is BS unless the whole seat is pure leather, the vinyl costs the same as cloth....

·
Registered
499 Posts
It's leather.
Another salesman that
doesn't know his you-know-what
from a hole in the ground.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I'm not too sure if it's real leather either.. from the one that I've sat in, it sure didn't feel anything like leather. No suppleness or anything.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The seating surface is leather, everything else is color matched vinyl. As stated there are various grades of leather. This is not a Lexus or Volvo. Most cars do the leather vinyl combo unless you pay a significant upcharge for all leather. Check out Porsche, Volvo, Mercedes, Audi.....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Leather Seats

Certain people do not use animal products like leather. How can we find out the "leather seats" are synthetic/vynal and not real leather?

·
Registered
499 Posts
Certain people do not use animal products like leather. How can we find out the "leather seats" are synthetic/vynal and not real leather?
What sort of strange urban legend is this. The part you sit on is leather.
If you don't want leather, don't get the 'leather', which is leather.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Mercedes Benz has cloth seats, leather sets, and "MB-Tex" seats that look and feel very much like leather, but are actually vinyl. If someone asked me which seat is more likely to be real leather and I didn't already know this I'd probably pick my E300 instead of my Bolt. It's a very convincing faux leather to the untrained eye. I suspect paragvs01 is thinking of situations like this. My MB salesman had referred to the "leather" seats a couple times during my visit but only 'fessed up it was MB-Tex when I asked the specific question.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
If it was "synthetic leather" GM would not label it as "leather" just like Toyota labels their "synthetic leather" "Softex".

·
Registered
735 Posts
On the bright side, it'll be easier to maintain than the average leather seat. No need to use leather cleaner or moisturize it.
Tell me about it, there's nothing worse than seeing cracks, rips and tears in the leather. It's one reason why I liked having cloth seat cars as long term vehicles, still there are many upsides to leather.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bolt Premier model comes with Leather option only. As a Vegan person, I don't use leather product. So Bolt LT model will be the only choice for me. Pls advise. (Premier has good traffic sensors & therefore I was considering it)

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
^ purchase a loaded Premier, then swap seats with an LT owner here...
I'm sure some LT owner would be happy to do you a solid and take them off your hands.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Bolt Premier model comes with Leather option only. As a Vegan person, I don't use leather product. So Bolt LT model will be the only choice for me. Pls advise. (Premier has good traffic sensors & therefore I was considering it)
You can add the Driver Confidence package to an LT Bolt. That adds Rear Parking Assist, Rear Cross-Traffic Alert, and Lane Change Alert w/Side Blind Zone Alert

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV / 2014 Spark EV / 2020 Tesla Model Y
135 Posts
Modern car leather in all but the most premium of vehicles (aka Rolls, Bentley) is leather with a thin coating of vinyl on it. The thin coating is easier to maintain and lets them use cuts of leather with minor surface imperfections that get masked by the coating. It simplifies color matching vs. trying to match naturally tanned hides,

So the "squish" of leather is there when you press firmly on it, but the very surface doesn't quite have that buttery soft to the touch feel.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Not that I'd ever get something as expensive as a Bentley or Rolls, but it sounds like even the luxury brands are taking shortcuts with their products. May as well go with longer lasting fabric at that point, and easier to clean with a wet vac.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts