Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am a patient man (sometimes) and if it would be 8-10 miles per hour charged, no biggie, but yes, slow.....
I also like to use the "tools at hand" and would likely use this vehicle on long RV trips where I would need to charge it at campgrounds in this fashion.....
Is there any "downside" to using lower charging rates more frequently, i.e., is there any impact on the battery function/life doing it this way?

·
Registered
username LT
819 Posts
If you're just doodling around at the RV site and out to town for groceries or whatever then you should be fine with even just the plain old 110V EVSE.
I seem to think some campgrounds might also have TT-30. That's still only 110V but 30 amps. The car would still only use 110V.
I think I would trust the car to take care of the charging needs. However it gets fed electrons I don't think really matters.
But remember...the range is something like 240 miles. You don't need to always charge it up.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
Is there any "downside" to using lower charging rates more frequently, i.e., is there any impact on the battery function/life doing it this way?
120V is a little less efficient than using 240V. I made my own adapter (5-20R to 14-50P using 10 gage wire) to use my Bolt's provided EVSE on 240V. Have been using it that way for over two years. For my use, it allows me to charge overnight. I usually charge from 7 bars to 18 bars. Takes about 12 hours. I get about 150 miles range between charges as I stay off the highway.

You can buy this two part adapter instead of making one.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I seem to think some campgrounds might also have TT-30. That's still only 110V but 30 amps. The car would still only use 110V.
There's another TT-30 thread floating around here somewhere. If the voltage is 120V, the Bolt will not charge above 12 amps no matter how much energy the EVSE offers.

ga2500ev

·
Registered
username LT
819 Posts
There's another TT-30 thread floating around here somewhere. If the voltage is 120V, the Bolt will not charge above 12 amps no matter how much energy the EVSE offers.

ga2500ev
Yes thank you I understand. I was going more towards the fact that the charge time won't be in half. I was kinda trying to simplify as well.
And maybe a slight fix if I may...you might have wanted to say "the power supply offers"

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Yes thank you I understand. I was going more towards the fact that the charge time won't be in half. I was kinda trying to simplify as well.
And maybe a slight fix if I may...you might have wanted to say "the power supply offers"
No fix on this. The EVSE puts out a control signal to indicate the maximum current the EV can draw. The OEM EVSE for the Bolt is set to 12 amps. If there were an EVSE that put out a 30 amp control signal, it theory an EV could draw 30 amps through it. The Bolt specifically will not draw more than 12 amps of current on a 120V circuit even if the EVSE indicates that more current is available.

ga2500ev

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you mean the EVSE supplied with the car connected to 240volt circuit, it doesn't double the amperage. The electronics in the EVSE maxes out at 12 amps, whether you supply it with 120 or 240 volts. You get a faster charge because you've doubled the watts put out by the EVSE (Volts * Amps).
Wait 12 amps? I have the NEMA 50R outlet hooked up to a 50 amp breaker just like my wife's Tesla Model Y. Basically a 50amp dryer outlet is what it is...the dealer said yes that is perfect. Supposed to get my Bolt this Wednesday 15 Sep 2021, so will this work or not? You guys have me confused? 12 amp can run fine on 14 guage wire...I ran #6 copper for 50 amps...

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Wait 12 amps? I have the NEMA 50R outlet hooked up to a 50 amp breaker just like my wife's Tesla Model Y. Basically a 50amp dryer outlet is what it is...the dealer said yes that is perfect. Supposed to get my Bolt this Wednesday 15 Sep 2021, so will this work or not? You guys have me confused? 12 amp can run fine on 14 guage wire...I ran #6 copper for 50 amps...
You're fine. The EVSE (colloquially 'L2 charger') that comes with the car is limited to 12A (unless you got the EUV). But there are lots of third-party chargers (e.g. Grizzl-E, Juicebox, ...) that will let you charge at up to 32A. You can also get an adapter to let the same charger you use for the Tesla also charge the Bolt.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts