Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm sitting in Mt. Shasta, on my way to Oregon, only to find out that pretty much every charger in Grants Pass is blown the **** up. So I spent the better part of half an hour on the phone with Electrify America, and found out a very important piece of information.

REPAIR TICKETS ARE NOT AUTOMATICALLY GENERATED WHEN CHARGERS GO DOWN OR THROW ERRORS!

Customers have to call in failed chargers. This blows my mind a bit, since some of the chargers haven't had sessions since MAY, which seems easy enough to build an algorithm around. But no. You gotta call in every failed charge. Plugshare isn't enough. Yeah, it's a pain in the neck, but while you're sitting on your ass ion a hot parking lot for 6 hours, take the time to call in the failed stations, because nobody else will do it. Hard to believe but true.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
We've been on the road for over 600 miles now, and have had trouble at every single DC station save for one in Mt. Shasta, which, thank god, there's only ONE station there. Of course there's a Tesla supercharger and it's about 15 stations deep.

Delano Walmart was down, Delano Dennys was half down, Elk Grove Walmart had 2 out of 3 stations down, red bluff thankfully had working stations, and it looks like Grants Pass is a complete disaster. Bad juju on this trip. I've said it before, it's not range anxiety, it's "Is this fucking charger going to work?" anxiety.

Leave lots of padding in your travel plans. The charge providers are not keeping the infrastructure tip-top and I know it's COVID, but I can't imagine a more physically distanced activity than repairing a charger.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Odd, I've gone out of my way to use four charging sites between Dunnigan and Redding in the last week, and each worked perfectly the first time. Okay, the one in Anderson took longer than expected to activate, so I logged a ticket. Hephzibah was also down in Orland, but there was a tech onsite working on it when I was there.

Either way, I had my suspicion about EA not actively seeking out downed chargers, so thanks for confirming. I've adopted the "see something, report something" approach, which means I submit a ticket through the EA app every time I see an issue with a charger, no matter how minor. Apparently, that's not common.

·
Registered
869 Posts
@Pigwich glad that you now understand this, yeah beyond me that each station status is not on a big screen in the control room at EA, but apparently station health is not monitored realtime at every location yet. This actually blows my mind as well as I worked in the 1980s on a project where copiers called in for service themselves and reported paper jams, toner low, error codes, etc. The system worked so well that if it could not be resolved remotely a service tech was dispatched automatically and it was not uncommon for them to report the customer delight when they said that they had arrived to fix the copier and the key point of contact was not yet even aware it was broken

Regarding frustration with and what we can do to help EA see this thread I wrote many months ago.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Sorry to hear of your troubles, sometimes I think the EA stations are haunted as they work fine for me and not for others and sometimes I can't get them to work right after a positive review on plugshare. Once I really needed an EA charger to make a trip and I called ahead and said can you confirm it is up and they assured me it was and it didn't work. In my opinion this inconsistency is a major barrier to EVs becoming established in the US. All we can do is call it in...and you will likely get a free charting session from EA as a reward.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
@Pigwich glad that you now understand this, yeah beyond me that each station status is not on a big screen in the control room at EA, but apparently station health is not monitored realtime at every location yet. This actually blows my mind as well as I worked in the 1980s on a project where copiers called in for service themselves and reported paper jams, toner low, error codes, etc. The system worked so well that if it could not be resolved remotely a service tech was dispatched automatically and it was not uncommon for them to report the customer delight when they said that they had arrived to fix the copier and the key point of contact was not yet even aware it was broken

Regarding frustration with and what we can do to help EA see this thread I wrote many months ago.
Just a quick note, though... most of the chargers up to this point that Pigwich referenced being down were not Electrify America chargers (they were EVgo and EV Connect). In this case, Pigwich is calling ahead because they saw that the Electrify America chargers at Grants Pass were down.

I will note, though, that based on my experiences driving that route, Pigwich might have targeted the rogue's gallery of least reliable chargers from three different charging providers, even when there are more reliable and plentiful chargers nearby (Elk Grove, for example). Still, the public charging infrastructure is only as good as its least reliable chargers and networks. I cut EV Connect just a little bit of slack because they are so new to wide-scale public DCFC; however, EVgo has no excuse for not maintaining and upgrading Delano (it's needed it for years), and Electrify America is fast running out of excuses for not actively maintaining their network (without the need for customer intervention).

·
Registered
869 Posts
Just a quick note, though... most of the chargers up to this point that Pigwich referenced being down were not Electrify America chargers (they were EVgo and EV Connect).
thanks much for clarifying that, when I read his post and saw Walmart and Denny's I assumed they were all EA charge locations

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well kittens, I'm in Grants Pass, and the situation is nearly dire. I'm at the Frank Mayer, Fred Meyer, whatever... Getting 18 kw out of a chargepoint baby DC. Every single EA has been down. Elk Grove 2/3 were down. So I can say out of the eight electrify America stations that I visited, one was working. And also dodgy success everywhere else. Except for charge point oddly enough. I spent probably 25 minutes on the phone with the girl from EA and we tried everything. all of those stations are shot. they have repair tickets on everything but they can't even remotely initiate charges. Supposedly the ChadeMo was up but then we reset that charger and killed the ChadeMo. So sorry to all the leaf owners in beautiful Grants Pass. I hope that God they get this **** working in the next few weeks so I don't have to do this again on my way back to LA. I do look at a gas station with a bit more envy now I'm ashamed to say. But at least my next session with EA is going to be free! Maybe they'll make the ice cream at the dairy Queen free too. That'd be nice.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Well kittens, I'm in Grants Pass, and the situation is nearly dire. I'm at the Frank Mayer, Fred Meyer, whatever... Getting 18 kw out of a chargepoint baby DC. Every single EA has been down. Elk Grove 2/3 were down. So I can say out of the eight electrify America stations that I visited, one was working. And also dodgy success everywhere else. Except for charge point oddly enough. I spent probably 25 minutes on the phone with the girl from EA and we tried everything. all of those stations are shot. they have repair tickets on everything but they can't even remotely initiate charges. Supposedly the ChadeMo was up but then we reset that charger and killed the ChadeMo. So sorry to all the leaf owners in beautiful Grants Pass. I hope that God they get this **** working in the next few weeks so I don't have to do this again on my way back to LA. I do look at a gas station with a bit more envy now I'm ashamed to say. But at least my next session with EA is going to be free! Maybe they'll make the ice cream at the dairy Queen free too. That'd be nice.
I don't usually call people out, but frankly, I think you're intentionally misrepresenting the situation for those who don't live in the area or travel that corridor. However, you're driving on routes and through regions I travel (and charge on) quite frequently. Two of the sites you listed in your original post aren't even Electrify America sites (one of them only went up a couple months ago by a company that's just cutting its teeth on public DCFC). The other site (Elk Grove) has had issues from the very beginning. In fact, I believe there were even articles written about its unreliability.

You're claiming you've stopped at eight Electrify America sites; however, assuming you checked in on PlugShare every time, you actually skipped over at least half a dozen Electrify America sites between Elk Grove and Grants Pass that are all up and running fine (I've personally used three of them in the last week). Now the Grants Pass site is down, but it has been listed as down for a few days on PlugShare (to your -- fair -- point, that person should have notified Electrify America but apparently didn't).

Still, it appears that you specifically targeted charging sites along your route that were notoriously unreliable (or even down) despite the fact that you had numerous, better rated alternatives nearby. That, combined with your references to Tesla Superchargers and gas stations makes me wonder about your motives. If I wanted to go into a trip with the intention of self sabotaging my charging experiences and making the public charging infrastructure look as bad as I possibly could, I don't know that I could pick a better (technically worse) set of chargers from a list of poorly rated PlugShare sites.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Unfortunately, bad luck does happen. When I plan trips, I try to select recharging sites where there are redundant locations nearby (within 25 miles) and that have L2 chargers for a worst-case scenario, and I carry my L2 EVSE so I can resort to a plug if I get really desperate. The charging network has a long way to go to become as comfortable and reliable as the gas refueling network. That will continue to be a headwind for EV adoption for many.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I don't usually call people out, but frankly, I think you're intentionally misrepresenting the situation for those who don't live in the area or travel that corridor. However, you're driving on routes and through regions I travel (and charge on) quite frequently. Two of the sites you listed in your original post aren't even Electrify America sites (one of them only went up a couple months ago by a company that's just cutting its teeth on public DCFC). The other site (Elk Grove) has had issues from the very beginning. In fact, I believe there were even articles written about its unreliability.

You're claiming you've stopped at eight Electrify America sites; however, assuming you checked in on PlugShare every etc etc etc
Jesus man, take it easy. Sorry I said 8 stations, maybe I should have said 8 chargers? 8 gas pumps? I have a car full of kids and camping gear and a hitch rack with coolers and kitchen gear. I structure my stops around how much **** I'll be taking from my family for sitting outside a Fred Mayer under a tree with dip spit and cigarette butts trying to color for an hour and a half with a 3 and 6 year old that have been on the road for ages. So before you start floating conspiracy theories, think about the possibility, however small you may believe it to be, that maybe I'm saying all this crap because THIS WAS MY EXPERIENCE.

I did not want this experience. I didn't ask for it. It was bad juju the second I hit Delano. And I'm really glad your luck was better than mine, because my luck was ****. I've never done this route. I studied, I gambled, won some, lost some, and eventually made it, thank God for the tiny DC in Grants Pass. I'm not getting divorced, and my kids still like me and they don't have COVID yet. I got a hot shower and a proper meal last night. But the charging situation was bad. And when it was bad, I reported it, and when every single plug at a particular address was not working, it was downright scary.

There's no need to pretend that the situation was better. It was poor. I moved my car between chargers a LOT. And had to go to completely different locations twice. On a sub 1000 mile trip. It's not my fault. Don't victim-blame, like I should have known better. Suck is suck.

And on your conspiracy, I'll say this.. if CCS operators wants to be anything, they should take cues from entities that have done it right. Gas stations. And superchargers. Location, reliability, amenities. Redundancy. Gas pumps are money pumps, when they go down, so does revenue. The players need to operate like this or..
Well, we get the kind of road trips I just had.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I see both the points between News and Pig, in that they are both right but in all fairness the state of DCFC charging and specifically Stupidify America (EA) are in poor shape. I believe that EA is trying to get it right but only putting in minimal effort and taking their sweet time to do it. I take everything with a grain of salt but there are no shortage of stories on both Bolt sites at how troublesome DCFC can be. If you are used to it, and understand you might have to hold the cord up while initiating a charge and call to get it activated and that is your 'norm' and your 'perfectly acceptable' than so be it. There are those here that think that's great. I shake my head at that because I'm the other side of that coin that is used to pulling up to a gas pump and BAM, it works. My expectations, hugely disappointed often, are that a newer technology should have matched if not surpassed what we have grown accustomed to.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Jesus man, take it easy. Sorry I said 8 stations, maybe I should have said 8 chargers? 8 gas pumps? I have a car full of kids and camping gear and a hitch rack with coolers and kitchen gear. I structure my stops around how much **** I'll be taking from my family for sitting outside a Fred Mayer under a tree with dip spit and cigarette butts trying to color for an hour and a half with a 3 and 6 year old that have been on the road for ages. So before you start floating conspiracy theories, think about the possibility, however small you may believe it to be, that maybe I'm saying all this crap because THIS WAS MY EXPERIENCE.
I totally understand that this was your experience; however, you're not accurately representing the route. You stopped at an Electrify America site with three DC fast chargers and an Electrify America site with four DC fast chargers. I'm still not seeing 8 chargers. And again, two of the charging sites you called out early on weren't even Electrify America, so fixating on them seems rather odd.

You, apparently, use PlugShare. You knew when you were still charging up in Mt. Shasta that the Electrify America site in Grants Pass was down. That's only a 100-mile gap. Now there was a day separating, so I can only assume you spent the night somewhere? Still, if you know that the only backup is a 24 kW charger, why not charge on a 50 kW charger until at least the 25 kW step down at 85%? Leaving you with most of the range you would need to reach Sutherlin. Or, better yet, stopping in Yreka to top up to 85%, which would enable you to drive all the way to Sutherlin. Again, you went in knowing Grants Pass was down and you'd likely need to use a 24 kW.

I did not want this experience. I didn't ask for it. It was bad juju the second I hit Delano. And I'm really glad your luck was better than mine, because my luck was ****. I've never done this route. I studied, I gambled, won some, lost some, and eventually made it, thank God for the tiny DC in Grants Pass. I'm not getting divorced, and my kids still like me and they don't have COVID yet. I got a hot shower and a proper meal last night. But the charging situation was bad. And when it was bad, I reported it, and when every single plug at a particular address was not working, it was downright scary.

There's no need to pretend that the situation was better. It was poor. I moved my car between chargers a LOT. And had to go to completely different locations twice. On a sub 1000 mile trip. It's not my fault. Don't victim-blame, like I should have known better. Suck is suck.

And on your conspiracy, I'll say this.. if CCS operators wants to be anything, they should take cues from entities that have done it right. Gas stations. And superchargers. Location, reliability, amenities. Redundancy. Gas pumps are money pumps, when they go down, so does revenue. The players need to operate like this or..
Well, we get the kind of road trips I just had.
Again, I can't speak to your motives. I'm sure your experiences are your experiences, and I'm sure you didn't intentionally pick the charging sites with the lowest PlugShare scores while purposefully passing up nearby, faster chargers with much better scores. My concern is how you're framing your story, which somewhat preys upon the ignorance of others.I think there's enough negativity being peddled about the public charging infrastructure at this point, and I don't feel that people benefit from more. Especially when there's zero acknowledgment of how one's own decisions played a part in the outcome.

If you want to say that it's unacceptable for a public charging site to go down without another nearby public fast charging site to support it, I'm onboard. I think we need to see more redundancy and resiliency in the public charging infrastructure. If you want to say that ChargePoint's CEC grant funded sites need to have more than just a single 50 kW charger for their Dunsmuir, Mt. Shasta, Weed, and Yreka sites, again, I'm totally onboard. Mt. Shasta is a compelling enough site on its own that it should have a minimum of six 125 kW ChargePoint Express units. Again, these are all valid criticisms, but I feel like you need to take a little bit of ownership of your route planning and site selection.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you want to say that it's unacceptable for a public charging site to go down without another nearby public fast charging site to support it, I'm onboard. I think we need to see more redundancy and resiliency in the public charging infrastructure. If you want to say that ChargePoint's CEC grant funded sites need to have more than just a single 50 kW charger for their Dunsmuir, Mt. Shasta, Weed, and Yreka sites, again
OK, you don't like how I framed things, that's fine. And it's entirely possible that I could have changed my route, that's fine too. Now let's talk about my motives. I expect that given your own personal situation, you'd make different choices.

Fact: Car gets poor range fully loaded, 70+ MPH, soft comfort-grandma tires, and a loaded rear rack out the trailer hitch, I'm getting as bad as 3.3 per kWh, and my battery is estimated to be at 57 kWh. 237 miles it is not. And the valley is hot as balls, and I refuse to sweat.

I'm not going to sit at a DC station until my battery is 95% charged. 80 at best, and I need padding in case I have to go to the next spot. So, I'm driving legs that are just over 100 miles to be safe.

Bad plugshare ratings from months ago don't mean a whole lot to me. What happened in the past few days? Dunno, nobody put in bad ratings, or any for that matter.

Two cranky kids, 3 and 6, and one wife who's not as cranky as the kids. Delano is a good stopping point, the battery isn't so full that it won't charge quickly, and there's some padding. Stop there, **** goes south, my family stays at Walmart and picnics under the solar arrays while I sit at evconnect at Denny's 3 miles away for 50 minutes. Where only one charger is working, and the other is saying "Door open. Please close door and try again."

Drive to Fresno, two Evgo chargers are all banged up, one is just busted, and the other has a screen that's so hot that it's almost completely black. And the Fresno PD is blocking it, but I can sneak in from behind.

Stop at Bravo Farms, get spit on by a cocky llama and have some ice cream. Climb a tree house. Kids are still OK.

Drive to Elk Grove, drop the fam at the only AirBnB that we can justify staying at, 9:00 PM or so, and everybody is a basket case. There's no 220, so I drive to WalMart and try every charger there and spend a half hour on the phone with EA. Get one working.

Drive to Red Bluff, because it's a good distance for redundancy and faster charging. AND there's a spot we can get a breakfast burrito and some trees we can hang out under while we wait. Chargepoint works flawlessly. Move to an L2 while we have dessert to get the last couple kWh before we head to Shasta.

Get to Shasta, plug in at Chargepoint, it takes off, things are awesome. I'm envious seeing all the Tesla chargers sitting there, getting used. But my ONE charger is working, so I'm OK with this. Get some ice, pork ribs, a couple jugs of water, and head for the Shasta City KOA to stay a couple nights, because we owe some R+R to the kids. This was the plan, because they need to have fun too. And it worked. Bribed a lady at a site with power to plug in to her 110, as all the 50A sites were full of RVs, being July 4th and all. Got a 100% charge, which was great. Had a nice time.

Broke camp Saturday morning, the 4th, off for Oregon at 11 AM. Drove to Medford just for the **** of it, just for some possible safety, have a look-see, and the situation there is great if you're the one car that needs to charge. But it was just a test. I pee, and we head out for Grants Pass, do or die.

Get to Grants Pass. I had checked with EA the night before, and they said there were sessions that previous day at Grants Pass, but only at charger 2. Awesome. Went to #2, plugged in, no dice, called, no dice, tried all the other chargers while on the line with support, then packed up and headed to Fred Mayer next door. Display was out on the 24 KW DC, but it activated no drama with a phone tap. Thank god. One kid painted an excellent pine tree, the other threw a tantrum because her gum went in the dirt, and I made her spit it back out after I realized she got to it and put it back in her mouth. And I mean a full on tantrum. Mom was inside getting milk for an hour. But we were getting better than 7.2 kw, so that was good, and we were still gonna make it to Grandma's house. EA promised me a free session next time.

Got to the Dairy Queen in Sutherlin, plugged in to #1, and called EA to start my free session. Worked fine, and the second I hung up with them, the session cut off. 0.3 kWh delivered. The machine flipped to "unavailable" after I unplugged. Terrific.

Moved to #2, spend 15 minutes on hold while they started the session, or tried...and failed. Moved to charger three, said "**** it" and tapped the phone. And prayed. God listened, which was a good thing, because I can't be on hold any more because the kids have eaten their ice cream. So we're at the dodgy DQ, hanging out under a cherry tree over by the dumpster. Excellent cherries, by the way. The 3 year old threw another tantrum because I wouldn't let her fill her crocs (those are shoes for all the stylish or non-parents reading this) with broken sparkly tempered glass fragments from the ground. But she did eat cherries off the tree, organic by neglect. Got up to 145 miles, and booked it to Springfield.

Got to grandma's house. Popped the trunk, unpacked, and got the NEMA 14-50 outdoor outlet I had in there, some LA metallic flexible waterproof conduit, stainless fittings, and slammed that outlet in to her 200A box in about a half hour, plugged in my OpenEVSE from home, and finally stopped having range reliability anxiety.

Went to the Raptor center in Eugene, saw a sweet looking Eagle Owl. Grandma fell face first in the gravel, and the baby once again threw a tantrum because I wouldn't let her stick her fingers in the vulture enclosure.

So it's been a **** of a trip, I'm glad I don't do it often. My wife hasn't killed her mother yet, and the kids haven't killed each other, and I had more failures than not when I plug in. And short of trying to get the **** out of NYC after hurricane Sandy, I can't remember when I had more drama trying to fuel up the car.

Now as for the operators? Good for them for installing all this ****, but they need to OPERATE it. No problems with Chargepoint, but if I'm not mistaken, they weren't created as the result of a lawsuit like evgo (enron) and EA (VW)

Reliability is a very very serious problem. Sugar coating it is counterproductive. My personal spin and experience has zero effect on whether this infrastructure is functioning properly.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
OK, you don't like how I framed things, that's fine. And it's entirely possible that I could have changed my route, that's fine too. Now let's talk about my motives. I expect that given your own personal situation, you'd make different choices.

Fact: Car gets poor range fully loaded, 70+ MPH, soft comfort-grandma tires, and a loaded rear rack out the trailer hitch, I'm getting as bad as 3.3 per kWh, and my battery is estimated to be at 57 kWh. 237 miles it is not. And the valley is hot as balls, and I refuse to sweat.

I'm not going to sit at a DC station until my battery is 95% charged. 80 at best, and I need padding in case I have to go to the next spot. So, I'm driving legs that are just over 100 miles to be safe.

Bad plugshare ratings from months ago don't mean a whole lot to me. What happened in the past few days? Dunno, nobody put in bad ratings, or any for that matter.

Two cranky kids, 3 and 6, and one wife who's not as cranky as the kids. Delano is a good stopping point, the battery isn't so full that it won't charge quickly, and there's some padding. Stop there, **** goes south, my family stays at Walmart and picnics under the solar arrays while I sit at evconnect at Denny's 3 miles away for 50 minutes. Where only one charger is working, and the other is saying "Door open. Please close door and try again."

Drive to Fresno, two Evgo chargers are all banged up, one is just busted, and the other has a screen that's so hot that it's almost completely black. And the Fresno PD is blocking it, but I can sneak in from behind.

Stop at Bravo Farms, get spit on by a cocky llama and have some ice cream. Climb a tree house. Kids are still OK.

Drive to Elk Grove, drop the fam at the only AirBnB that we can justify staying at, 9:00 PM or so, and everybody is a basket case. There's no 220, so I drive to WalMart and try every charger there and spend a half hour on the phone with EA. Get one working.

Drive to Red Bluff, because it's a good distance for redundancy and faster charging. AND there's a spot we can get a breakfast burrito and some trees we can hang out under while we wait. Chargepoint works flawlessly. Move to an L2 while we have dessert to get the last couple kWh before we head to Shasta.

Get to Shasta, plug in at Chargepoint, it takes off, things are awesome. I'm envious seeing all the Tesla chargers sitting there, getting used. But my ONE charger is working, so I'm OK with this. Get some ice, pork ribs, a couple jugs of water, and head for the Shasta City KOA to stay a couple nights, because we owe some R+R to the kids. This was the plan, because they need to have fun too. And it worked. Bribed a lady at a site with power to plug in to her 110, as all the 50A sites were full of RVs, being July 4th and all. Got a 100% charge, which was great. Had a nice time.

Broke camp Saturday morning, the 4th, off for Oregon at 11 AM. Drove to Medford just for the **** of it, just for some possible safety, have a look-see, and the situation there is great if you're the one car that needs to charge. But it was just a test. I pee, and we head out for Grants Pass, do or die.

Get to Grants Pass. I had checked with EA the night before, and they said there were sessions that previous day at Grants Pass, but only at charger 2. Awesome. Went to #2, plugged in, no dice, called, no dice, tried all the other chargers while on the line with support, then packed up and headed to Fred Mayer next door. Display was out on the 24 KW DC, but it activated no drama with a phone tap. Thank god. One kid painted an excellent pine tree, the other threw a tantrum because her gum went in the dirt, and I made her spit it back out after I realized she got to it and put it back in her mouth. And I mean a full on tantrum. Mom was inside getting milk for an hour. But we were getting better than 7.2 kw, so that was good, and we were still gonna make it to Grandma's house. EA promised me a free session next time.

Got to the Dairy Queen in Sutherlin, plugged in to #1, and called EA to start my free session. Worked fine, and the second I hung up with them, the session cut off. 0.3 kWh delivered. The machine flipped to "unavailable" after I unplugged. Terrific.

Moved to #2, spend 15 minutes on hold while they started the session, or tried...and failed. Moved to charger three, said "**** it" and tapped the phone. And prayed. God listened, which was a good thing, because I can't be on hold any more because the kids have eaten their ice cream. So we're at the dodgy DQ, hanging out under a cherry tree over by the dumpster. Excellent cherries, by the way. The 3 year old threw another tantrum because I wouldn't let her fill her crocs (those are shoes for all the stylish or non-parents reading this) with broken sparkly tempered glass fragments from the ground. But she did eat cherries off the tree, organic by neglect. Got up to 145 miles, and booked it to Springfield.

Got to grandma's house. Popped the trunk, unpacked, and got the NEMA 14-50 outdoor outlet I had in there, some LA metallic flexible waterproof conduit, stainless fittings, and slammed that outlet in to her 200A box in about a half hour, plugged in my OpenEVSE from home, and finally stopped having range reliability anxiety.

Went to the Raptor center in Eugene, saw a sweet looking Eagle Owl. Grandma fell face first in the gravel, and the baby once again threw a tantrum because I wouldn't let her stick her fingers in the vulture enclosure.

So it's been a ** of a trip, I'm glad I don't do it often. My wife hasn't killed her mother yet, and the kids haven't killed each other, and I had more failures than not when I plug in. And short of trying to get the ** out of NYC after hurricane Sandy, I can't remember when I had more drama trying to fuel up the car.

Now as for the operators? Good for them for installing all this ****, but they need to OPERATE it. No problems with Chargepoint, but if I'm not mistaken, they weren't created as the result of a lawsuit like evgo (enron) and EA (VW)

Reliability is a very very serious problem. Sugar coating it is counterproductive. My personal spin and experience has zero effect on whether this infrastructure is functioning properly.
Again. I understand your frustrations, but based on your first two posts, the impression the average reader would have is that Electrify America was the problem. The first three sites you had issues with were EVgo, EV Connect, and EVgo. It wasn't until you were in Elk Grove where you had an issue with Electrify America.

I also understand 100-mile legs; however, again, you knew Grants Pass was down. It's about 40 miles from Mt. Shasta to Yreka, which has multiple 50+ kW chargers. Even if you don't want to charge past 80%, that's 40 more freeway miles (saving over an hour of charging at Fred Meyer's 24 kW charger). Of course, hindsight is 20/20, but as I said, I don't want people to get the wrong impression about that route.

For what it's worth, it looks like EA is having issues all around Elk Grove. Normally, I would have recommended the Laguna Village site, which has historically been a 9 or 10 out of 10 on PlugShare's ratings. It recently went down (the whole site), had maintenance done, was announced back online again, and now the entire site is down once again. I'm not sure where EA's issues are coming from. Whether it's specifically the ABB units, their installers are doing something wrong, the techs they are sending out to fix them are doing their jobs, or there's some sort of vandalism whether hardware or software (at one point, guys in one of the Tesla Facebook groups were bragging about being able to hack into EA chargers and hijacking their open internet connection). :cautious:Regardless of the cause, EA needs to get things dialed in.

·
Registered
242 Posts

You're claiming you've stopped at eight Electrify America sites; however, assuming you checked in on PlugShare every time, you actually skipped over at least half a dozen Electrify America sites between Elk Grove and Grants Pass that are all up and running fine (I've personally used three of them in the last week). Now the Grants Pass site is down, but it has been listed as down for a few days on PlugShare (to your -- fair -- point, that person should have notified Electrify America but apparently didn't).

Still, it appears that you specifically targeted charging sites along your route that were notoriously unreliable (or even down) despite the fact that you had numerous, better rated alternatives nearby. That, combined with your references to Tesla Superchargers and gas stations makes me wonder about your motives. If I wanted to go into a trip with the intention of self sabotaging my charging experiences and making the public charging infrastructure look as bad as I possibly could, I don't know that I could pick a better (technically worse) set of chargers from a list of poorly rated PlugShare sites.
Hmmm....you seem to call people out an awful lot for someone who doesn't call people out. That said as long as it is marked as down on plugshare I'll go as far as
Again. I understand your frustrations, but based on your first two posts, the impression the average reader would have is that Electrify America was the problem. The first three sites you had issues with were EVgo, EV Connect, and EVgo. It wasn't until you were in Elk Grove where you had an issue with Electrify America.

I also understand 100-mile legs; however, again, you knew Grants Pass was down. It's about 40 miles from Mt. Shasta to Yreka, which has multiple 50+ kW chargers. Even if you don't want to charge past 80%, that's 40 more freeway miles (saving over an hour of charging at Fred Meyer's 24 kW charger). Of course, hindsight is 20/20, but as I said, I don't want people to get the wrong impression about that route.

For what it's worth, it looks like EA is having issues all around Elk Grove. Normally, I would have recommended the Laguna Village site, which has historically been a 9 or 10 out of 10 on PlugShare's ratings. It recently went down (the whole site), had maintenance done, was announced back online again, and now the entire site is down once again. I'm not sure where EA's issues are coming from. Whether it's specifically the ABB units, their installers are doing something wrong, the techs they are sending out to fix them are doing their jobs, or there's some sort of vandalism whether hardware or software (at one point, guys in one of the Tesla Facebook groups were bragging about being able to hack into EA chargers and hijacking their open internet connection). :cautious:Regardless of the cause, EA needs to get things dialed in.
[/QUOTE

EA may be getting better and no worse than other charging stations, but they should have some way to figure out if their stations are working or not and take appropriate action to mark them as available or not. I can live with stations going down...I just want to know what I can depend on or not.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Hmmm....you seem to call people out an awful lot for someone who doesn't call people out. That said as long as it is marked as down on plugshare I'll go as far as
Yes, I guess I should have been more clear. I typically accept people's experiences when using the public charging infrastructure at face value, but in this case, this is a route that I drive very frequently (and have charged on recently). Basically, it's one thing to say my experiences don't match the experiences of others because I'm not using the charging networks in their regions, with their geography, with their weather, etc.

However, this is the exact opposite case, where I know the route well. So when the OP had trouble at two Electrify America sites over 600 miles while skipping over a dozen or more other Electrify America sites along the route but framed the issues with their trip as all being connected to Electrify America, I felt the need to call it out. There's already enough negativity about Electrify America (don't get me wrong, they have a lot to work on), so simply glossing over the fact that most Electrify America sites on Highway 99 and I-5 throughout the length of California have a near perfect PlugShare score doesn't seem fair.

And before someone paints me as an Electrify America apologist or someone who's just candy coating the issues with the public charging infrastructure. Check the Electrify America sites along those routes that do have a significantly less than perfect score. You're likely to see my negative PlugShare check ins at a majority of them.

·
Registered
212 Posts
See my two posts on my absolute DISGUST with the state of roadside charging infrastructure in the desert southwest. DIS-GUSTED. I won’t be taking my Bout outside of get-home range in Tucson until it improves DRAMATICALLY. I’ve wasted too much time standing in the 105+ Arizona heat f**king around with them. I’m done with all of them. If I can’t charge at home and get where I need to go, I’ll take my truck or rent an ICE.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I’ve wasted too much time standing in the 105+ Arizona heat f**king around with them. I’m done with all of them. If I can’t charge at home and get where I need to go, I’ll take my truck or rent an ICE.
Unless you own a Tesla, that is the unfortunate sorry state of public EV charging in the USA currently. Tesla's number one asset is not their battery IP or even their vehicles.. it's their very reliable SC network which you can pretty much count on working all the time.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts