• If you have submitted a request - The request has been denied

Votes: 3 5.0%
  • If you have submitted a request - I chose the buyback

Votes: 16 26.7%
  • If you have submitted a request - I chose the replacement

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • If you have not submitted a request - You are content with the situation

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • If you have not submitted a request - You are waiting to see what the April fix will deliver

Votes: 4 6.7%
  • I lease

Votes: 3 5.0%
  • I own

Votes: 48 80.0%
  • If owned - Purchased new

Votes: 38 63.3%
  • If owned - Purchased used

Votes: 11 18.3%
  • If you have submitted a request - response is pending

Votes: 14 23.3%
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After following along with multiple threads on buybacks, I thought it could be beneficial to get some condensed data on who's performed the recall and who's pursuing and having, or not, success with the buyback path.

The poll offered here has its configuration limits. Unfortunately we can't enter multiple questions with nested selections for answers. This would have allowed us to ask for States in which each person is located and how long the process has taken. But we'll try to get as much as we can within those boundaries.

Hopefully this can give everyone some insight into the big picture of what's going.

I'll invite everyone who wishes to also respond and provide the following data that we are unable to get out of the poll:

• State
  • Duration and stage of the buyback process (if applicable)
  • Why you chose the path that you chose

The goal here is to generate information for all of us. So let's please try to keep this data focused! :)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
  • State
    • California
  • Duration of the buyback process (if applicable)
    • 1 month since opened
    • Received letter approving buyback
    • Have just sent photos of the car, lease agreement and registration
    • 90% is not what I signed up for when leasing the car and my lease agreement is therefore not being met.
    • Concerned that the April "fix" will just lead to more time spent at the dealership and will not be effective

·
Registered
20 Bolt LT
92 Posts
  • State
    • California - CPO Purchase 9/20
    • 5.5 weeks since opened
    • Have sent photos of the car, purchase agreement and registration
    • Have sent numerous requests for information to my buyback coordinator
    • 90% is not what I signed up for when buying the car and my purchase agreement is therefore not being met.
    • Concerned that the April "fix" will just lead to more time spent at the dealership and will not be effective
    • Hoping to keep things simple, I am hoping I can make a trade that puts me in to a new 20/21 for about $4k. Although there are great deals to be had, I'm not flying or traveling too far until I am vaccinated and more people understand the importance of vaccination. My original dealer indicated he could probably meet other advertised deals. I'm gonna give that a chance.

·
Registered
86 Posts
  • State
    • California - 2018 MY
    • Started 3/3/2021
    • Have just sent photos of the car, financial agreement and registration
    • Concerned that the resale value of the vehicle will diminish substantially from being a lemon
    • Requested MSRP to MSRP swap for a 2021 MY, because mileage on my vehicle is high (32000), so I might owe to replace with check
    • The hassle of going through the process will be worth not having a lemon vehicle and I get 21 more miles range, and slightly faster DCFC rates

·
Registered
16 Posts
2017 Bolt Premier, purchased in 2017. Price was right around $43k. $7500 Federal tax credit, no state incentives.
  • State of NC
    • Started the process on 3/1/21. Sometime within the next couple of days I was asked to submit scans of the title, buyers order, and registration.
    • Around 3/10/21 the first rep handed me off to a "repurchaser". This person contacted me and I had to send them the VIN numbers of Bolts that I would like to have as a replacement.
    • On Thursday 3/19/21 the repurchaser called and I received the offer to put me into a 2021 Bolt with a $260 cost to me. I accepted. I sent in photos of the car, scan of title, registration again since the repurchaser.
    • My repurchaser said the process would take about four weeks from the time I accepted, depending on how easy the dealer was to work with.
    • We like the Bolt (we have a Tesla M3P too) and EVs in general. The Bolt is a great car. But I don't want a 10% range cut as it just barely makes it to our vacation home as is when the weather is below 40F.
    • The deal Chevy is offering is strong and indicative of some excellent customer service. We'll take advantage of it as we were one of the early adopters of the Bolt.

·
Registered
3 Posts
  • State
    • North Carolina
    • Whole thing took about two weeks. It was faster than I expected. Repurchase process is now complete. Car turned in and check received. Newer Bolt purchased.
    • Current deals on the 2020s and 2021s made the repurchase offer a no brainer. Upgraded from a 2019 with a battery recall to a 2020 with more range while saving a lot of money in the transaction. No-brainer savings and range upgrade aside, I didn't want to wonder about my 2019 battery catching on fire.

·
Registered
Premier, Yo, with every goodie!
720 Posts
    • Concerned that the resale value of the vehicle will diminish substantially from being a lemon.
Am I missing something?
Are all '17-19' Bolts now considered 'Lemons'?

Just because GM is working through a safety issue and the cars temporarily have a ~5% drop in Battery Capacity?
(what is the official safety cut in capacity?)

I understand some are excited to move on and get a potential bargain upgrade to a newer Bolt, or just move on...
But I don't think the effected cars are Lemons by definition.

Edit: My '14 Spark EV was a 'Buy Back due to customer satisfaction'.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I contacted the EV concierge 3/15/21 and was told that buy backs were not currently being offered because the fix was already pending for release in April. They offered me a loaner vehicle and nothing more. I argued that others had already received replacement cars or buybacks, but she wasn't hearing it. Not sure if I'm too late or just this service rep was really following the script more than others. If the supposed fix doesn't come in April or it is not 100% I will try again. She was insistent that the temporary updated "must" be completed and was not happy when I pointed out that it does nothing more than lock the charge limit which I can easily do myself without wasting time at the dealer.

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
I contacted the EV concierge 3/15/21 and was told that buy backs were not currently being offered because the fix was already pending for release in April. They offered me a loaner vehicle and nothing more. I argued that others had already received replacement cars or buybacks, but she wasn't hearing it. Not sure if I'm too late or just this service rep was really following the script more than others. If the supposed fix doesn't come in April or it is not 100% I will try again. She was insistent that the temporary updated "must" be completed and was not happy when I pointed out that it does nothing more than lock the charge limit which I can easily do myself without wasting time at the dealer.
Sounds like you live in state without strong consumer protection laws.

·
Registered
2021 Nightfall Gray Metallic Bolt Premier
361 Posts
  • State
  • Georgia
  • Took about 2 months
  • Wanted a new car for as little as possible or I would have kept my 17.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Might I suggest that you try again now. And tomorrow. And the day after that. From my reading of the problem so far, it's the squeaky wheel that gets serviced. If you wait until April, then the chance of a buyback will drop to 0.

Also it depends on the lemon laws in your state. Where are you located?

Be persistent. Good luck.

ga2500ev

·
Registered
15 Posts
Might I suggest that you try again now. And tomorrow. And the day after that. From my reading of the problem so far, it's the squeaky wheel that gets serviced. If you wait until April, then the chance of a buyback will drop to 0.

Also it depends on the lemon laws in your state. Where are you located?

Be persistent. Good luck.

ga2500ev
I am in PA and have not read into the Lemon law very much just yet.

·
Registered
2019 Chevrolet Bolt EV Premier
3 Posts
  • State
    • Nevada - New Purchase of 2019 Bolt EV Premier in September 2019
    • 5 weeks since opened
    • Contacted EV concierge on 2/15
    • Sent requested documentation for buyback customer care on 2/17
    • Repurchase case number issued on 3/15
    • Received letter from repurchase coordinator approving buyback on 3/22
    • Have sent photos of the car, purchase agreement and registration to coordinator on 3/22
    • Will take two weeks to process buyback from this point, they are using Nevada lemon law to determine buyback value, with 3600 miles on car, should receive almost all I’ve paid back.
    • 90% range is not acceptable for long road trips, so I haven’t had the recall performed but did set the recharge limit to 90%
    • Loss of used / trade in value due to battery recall
    • Concerned that the April "fix" will not fully resolve issue, see Kia battery recall (though GM insists it’s a different separator, both battery packs were manufactured by LG in South Korea in same production facility).
    • Might buy a new 2020 or 2021 bolt to replace (depending if discounts are available in April), or hold off until 2022 Bolt EUV is available, I have other vehicles to drive in the mean time.

·
Registered
29 Posts
This survey ignores cases like mine. A leasee who had lease terminated early without penalty based on recall.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This survey ignores cases like mine. A leasee who had lease terminated early without penalty based on recall.
AH, sorry about that. Must admit I didn't even consider that use case since I lease and am pursuing a buyback. May I ask how close you were to the end of the lease and why you'd terminate without penalties rather than pursue a buyback? Without knowing, seems like the buyback puts money in your pocket which the lease termination does not...

·
Registered
1 Posts
  • State
    • California - Bought 2018 Premier new
    • Case opened Jan 27th
    • Buy back requested when I opened the case
    • Docs sent in 6 weeks ago - No progress since then
    • I need full range 2x a month for a commute to a remote site that I work at. Cannot do that with the reduction
    • I'm not confident that GM will 'fix' given the time it's taking just to get them to send me a buyback quote

·
Registered
13 Posts
  • State
    • California - 2018 MY
    • Started 3/3/2021
    • Have just sent photos of the car, financial agreement and registration
    • Concerned that the resale value of the vehicle will diminish substantially from being a lemon
    • Requested MSRP to MSRP swap for a 2021 MY, because mileage on my vehicle is high (32000), so I might owe to replace with check
    • The hassle of going through the process will be worth not having a lemon vehicle and I get 21 more miles range, and slightly faster DCFC rates
  • State
  • Georgia
  • Took about 2 months
  • Wanted a new car for as little as possible or I would have kept my 17.
State. Virginia
Duration. Completed, took about two months
Chose path. Mine was earliest 2017 (Dec 2016), was planning to buy refreshed 2022 and figured that I’d get a better buyback offer than a private sale or trade. Was right beyond all expectations.

·
Registered
60 Posts
  • State
    • Ohio
    • 2-3 weeks
    • Not convinced Chevy will solve the problem
My claim was denied. Yet to see an Ohio claim that was approved.

·
Registered
29 Posts
After following along with multiple threads on buybacks, I thought it could be beneficial to get some condensed data on who's performed the recall and who's pursuing and having, or not, success with the buyback path.

The poll offered here has its configuration limits. Unfortunately we can't enter multiple questions with nested selections for answers. This would have allowed us to ask for States in which each person is located and how long the process has taken. But we'll try to get as much as we can within those boundaries.

Hopefully this can give everyone some insight into the big picture of what's going.

I'll invite everyone who wishes to also respond and provide the following data that we are unable to get out of the poll:

• State

The goal here is to generate information for all of us. So let's please try to keep this data focused! :)
California - 2018 Premier
1/28/2021 spoke to concierge, asked for buyback, will contact me in 2-3 days
2/5 Email asking for bill of sale and registration. Provided.
2/17 Received letter describing replacement process
3/2 Many calls to concierge remain unanswered; Sarah finally calls saying she can't find a dealer willing to take my B olt.
3/17 Found a dealer
3/19 Sarah (concierge) calls to say her role is finished; Derek (negotiator) will call me. Nothing since.

Have not found any escalation mechanism yet and would appreciate hearing from those that have. LinkedIn message to Mary Barra went unanswered.

·
Registered
19 Posts
State-Alabama, 2019 LT

Duration and stage of the buyback process (if applicable) - first contact with Chevy 3/16. Was contacted 3/17 and 3/19 for documentation. Was offered a loaner on each call. 3/23 was contacted by repurchase coordinator. Was offered loaner again, then discussed options. He was very clear and forthcoming. He gave rough figures on swap and cash buyback. Swap was MSRP comparison, with me paying the difference. No hit for mileage. Cash option is sales price, including taxes and fees, minus deduction for mileage. In Alabama, the deduction is mileage divided by 100,000 then multiplied the sales price, including taxes and fees. I was told that I will be contacted by the repurchase team within 5 business days. No actual repurchase paperwork sent to me yet.

Why you chose the path that you chose - I choose the cash buyback, as I have relatively low mileage (~18k). My buyback price came out about $26,600. With current prices and Incentives, I can buy a new 2021 Bolt and have a few bucks in my pocket.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts