• If you have submitted a request - The request has been denied

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • If you have submitted a request - I chose the buyback

Votes: 18 26.9%
  • If you have submitted a request - I chose the replacement

Votes: 8 11.9%
  • If you have not submitted a request - You are content with the situation

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • If you have not submitted a request - You are waiting to see what the April fix will deliver

Votes: 4 6.0%
  • I lease

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • I own

Votes: 54 80.6%
  • If owned - Purchased new

Votes: 45 67.2%
  • If owned - Purchased used

Votes: 11 16.4%
  • If you have submitted a request - response is pending

Votes: 16 23.9%
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
20 Bolt LT
92 Posts
Correct. The usage fee in CA is based on mileage you used out of a theoretical 120,000 mile life span multiplied times the price you paid for the car. Since I got a great deal on my used Bolt, the cost per mile is less based on the small purchase price.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yes, that's the Lemon Law in CA, which apparently they are using for the swap. There is also a mention of
"General Motors may also reimburse you for incidental damages, if any, if reimbursement is required by law in your state and you provide documentation to substantiate the damages claimed."
As a result of this transaction, I will abandon my HOV sticker which cannot be replaced for 2021 Bolts. How to substantiate the value of this loss?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'll invite everyone who wishes to also respond and provide the following data that we are unable to get out of the poll:

• State
  • Duration and stage of the buyback process (if applicable)
  • Why you chose the path that you chose

State (if only; please ask your Member of Congress and Senators to support the Washington, D.C. Admission Act): District of Columbia
Duration and stage of process: 42 days. Closed on 4/9/21
Why path chosen: Wanted a better option than a modified battery monitoring system, and this forum pointed the way to a potential better option. Straight buyback provided flexibility if we wanted a non-GM replacement, and de-linked the buyback payment from shopping and negotiating for a Bolt replacement, if we went that route (as we ultimately did).

·
Registered
84 Posts
Yes that is the case regarding switching from one to the other...more delays. But I just confirmed the details of my trade today with the dealer. It's a very fair offer. I'll be trading from a used 2017 with 34K to a new 2020 with slightly better packages. When all is said and done, my cost will be $2400...and I had use of the 2017 for 5 months. The trade will hopefully happen early next week.

As to mileage increases, the first time you called in they should have asked you for current mileage and your deal will be based on that number. I have added another 2000 miles to mine while this deal has been processing.
Why trade for a 2020? Was a 2021 or 2022 possible? I wonder if you could use the Costco $3000 rebate now.

·
Registered
12 Posts
This dealer is not even close to the generosity of other dealers. I wonder if you can do better?
I did not do an MSRP-MSRP swap and I can't speak to calculation of usage charges under California's lemon law, but from my buyback experience, the deal price is set by GM, not the dealer. My understanding of the swap is that you find a new Bolt in dealer inventory, and there is a charge (or credit?) based on the MSRP difference between your Bolt and the replacement Bolt, with a further charge to you based on the lemon law usage charge. With a swap, the dealer is not setting a price for the replacement car; the MSRP sets the terms.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
One stat that I find very interesting from the poll is that 49 responders own to just 3 who lease! I'm actually very surprised at such a delta. Though I am quite staunchly against the concept of leasing and had always purchased my cars cash prior to the Bolt, I decided to lease for two main reasons:
  1. We consider technology is evolving far too fast to invest in a Bolt for the long term
  2. The leasing deals were/are so cheap that after subtracting rebates from down payment and lease payments it will cost next to nothing to rent the vehicle for 3 years
Anyways, just an observation. I was surprised to see such a difference in numbers. I would have actually thought that EVs were the prime type of vehicle for leasing vs owning. Clearly I'm not part of the masses when it comes to my thinking process on that front :)

Regarding other numbers, I guess they line-up with what I expected to see, including that a large majority of people have not taken their vehicles in for the recall and that the majority of responders chose to pursue a buyback. I know the numbers are certainly limited and would love to know how many buyback requests have been submitted overall, but interesting nonetheless. Thanks to all who took the time to respond!

·
Registered
257 Posts
One stat that I find very interesting from the poll is that 49 responders own to just 3 who lease!
I haven't posted yet because I'm still waiting to be approved/picked up by the repurchase team. I'm coming up on 7 weeks, though, and have submitted all the initial paperwork but haven't heard anything else. I appreciate this thread, though. I tried to start something similar with the spreadsheet thread but that got hijacked :rolleyes: but it's nice to have everything in one place.

For lease vs. purchase, my reasoning and, I suspect, for others is the mileage limitations. To get the best value out of the Bolt, it needs to be driven. I was saving over $4000 a year in gas (before the pandemic) and that was how I justified the purchase - it basically worked out to a $200/month car that would be paid off and maintenance/gas free in 5 years. On the other hand, some of the lease deals I've seen seem to be ridiculously low and should be a no-brainer for people that don't need high mileage.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
For lease vs. purchase, my reasoning and, I suspect, for others is the mileage limitations. To get the best value out of the Bolt, it needs to be driven. I was saving over $4000 a year in gas (before the pandemic) and that was how I justified the purchase - it basically worked out to a $200/month car that would be paid off and maintenance/gas free in 5 years. On the other hand, some of the lease deals I've seen seem to be ridiculously low and should be a no-brainer for people that don't need high mileage.
Very good point on the mileage. I do have low mileage needs so that isn't part of my considerations.Thanks for calling that out! If anything, I feel like I'm paying for miles that I don't use! :p

·
Registered
53 Posts
*State - WV
*I submitted for the buyback in early February, and in early March I was notified that the buyback had been denied. Fast forward to about 2 weeks ago and I was contacted by someone else who had told me that the buyback had been accepted. I was told that I would be given an MSRP for MSRP swap on a new vehicle. I contacted the preferred dealer and am working with the buyback team to order a First Edition Bolt EUV. So I will be out of pocket the difference in the 2 MSRPs.
* I chose this path because I live in WV, and there are no DCFC stations in the whole state. I also am about 80 miles from the nearest Bolt dealer that can service, so I could no longer make it back to the dealer round trip without charging. I have been following the similar debacle with the KIAs and the similar batteries, I fear this whole thing will be a mess until they end up replacing all the batteries. I am a little bit worried about the fire danger also. I had considered MSRP swap for a Bolt EV, but considering the EUV MSRP was lower that my original Bolt, I felt that this was the obvious path for me.

At this point I am absolutely satisfied with the buyback process, they have even told me the dealer order will be expedited, and the dealer will get their allocation back. GM team has made it totally right in my book. I am pretty excited to get the EUV and try out the Supercruise

·
Registered
257 Posts
*State - WV
*I submitted for the buyback in early February, and in early March I was notified that the buyback had been denied. Fast forward to about 2 weeks ago and I was contacted by someone else who had told me that the buyback had been accepted.
Interesting. Did they say why it was denied? And did you maintain the process or did they randomly contact you for the swap?

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
So I submitted all my docs to the repurchase coordinator on Monday and haven't heard back from him since, so it must be processing through the buyback calculation queue. He said it could take up to 2.5 weeks for a buyback amount to be offered, so on day 4 of up to 18 or so...

41 - 52 of 52 Posts