1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #22

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I think it is the law.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Thank you, I found the statute and it unfortunately doesn't apply to the Bolt and thus why there is no reference to it in the Chevrolet warranty documents. I was hopeful, but sadly it's a no go on this one.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Well, such is life. I didn't really take to heart when the sales rep mentioned it. It definitely wasn't a determining factor for me to close the deal.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #25

·
Registered
361 Posts
It was mentioned to me by the dealership when I was buying my 2019 LT. Here is another source.

The garbage article is wrong. I wish people would stop pointing to it or the author would fix his article.

I've had to refute that garbage numerous times on various Facebook groups.

Bolt and other pure EVs are BEVs, not PZEVs nor TZEVs nor BEVxs. See California Vehicle and Emissions Warranty Periods | California Air Resources Board and page 3 of https://ww3.arb.ca.gov/msprog/zevprog/zevtutorial/zev_tutorial_questions_and_answers_jun2016.pdf.\

"10. Comment: Are there any battery warranty requirements for ZEVs and BEVxs similar to the 10 year/150k mi for TZEV vehicle batteries?

Response:There is a 10 year/150,000 mile extended warranty on the zero emission energy storage device used for traction power on TZEVs and BEVxs. There is no warranty on the traction battery for ZEVs. [CCR, Title13, 1962.2(c)(2)(D)]

11.Comment:What are the traction battery requirements for warranty on ZEV vehicles, both BEV and FCV?
Response Please see response to Comment 10 above"

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
The flip side of this is that manufacturers offer warranties because they believe their product is robust. If, for example, you build a product with a 3-year warranty that lasts for 10 years under worst-case use then there's very little cost to extending its warranty period. And indeed, if it encourages more people to buy the product and this leads to more profit, then the warranty literally can pay for itself.

I realize that cars are a complex product and that warranty extensions do have a real cost, but I'm just trying to point out that warranties don't always have to be purely a cost item for manufacturers.
Of course, which is why the battery warranty is the length that it is. It could have been 2 years longer, but then it would cost them more. All costs are paid by the customer (that goes for taxes too).

·
Registered
688 Posts
Good as place as any they're building up the Ultium 1 million miles life and potentially 600 mile range? I will be very surprised if I see that from GM before 2030. After all 5 years had only netted a 10% capacity improvement for Bolt! One of the many articles below references the 600 mile comment.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Good as place as any they're building up the Ultium 1 million miles life and potentially 600 mile range? I will be very surprised if I see that from GM before 2030. After all 5 years had only netted a 10% capacity improvement for Bolt! One of the many articles below references the 600 mile comment.
Things are accelerating. Tesla, CATL, and GM all claim to have low/no cobalt battery that have higher capacity and longer life. Tesla very likely for 2021 model year.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
December 2016 to May 2020 is only 3-1/2 years.
Time is relative to the observer, when you work two jobs and effectively experience two work days each day, that would be like 7 years. ;)

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Things are accelerating. Tesla, CATL, and GM all claim to have low/no cobalt battery that have higher capacity and longer life. Tesla very likely for 2021 model year.

Creative journalists just writing BS articles... first it was imminent, now it says "someday".

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
The new norm?

21 - 33 of 33 Posts