Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This morning, when I went to continue charging my 2020 Bolt Premier (got it to a low SoC, 28%, and my local ChargePoint is Unavailable), and for the first time before plugging in the CCS), I noticed a SOLID Red light (was always Green) on the Converter Box.

As others have written, there is nothing in the Owners Manual about the lights on the Charging Cord. And, even a Internet search can be challenging.

And, a Forum search only turned up a few topics ( Unable to Charge and Flashing RED Charging status light are the main ones), but mainly discussed "flashing" indicator lights. So, I thought it would be a good idea to have one thread to tell us what the different color lights, and state (solid/flashing) mean (at least, what you think it means ;) ).

SOLID Green: Good circuit, OK to plug in; Bolt charging OK

SOLID Green / FLASHING Red: Charge Cord fault detected

SOLID Red: Not properly grounded; Recommend NOT to start the charging process
(for me, it turns out that the one of the outlet receptacles didn't have a good connection)

FLASHING Green / SOLID Red: Electrical outlet overheated

FLASHING Red: Vehicle fault detected

EDIT: Scroll down to Post #9 to see the tag. But, I've updated this post for interpretation.
Thanks to @PhilBo for posting a picture of the tag.

·
Registered
Premier, Yo, with every goodie!
1,321 Posts
.. I noticed a SOLID Red light (was always Green) on the Converter Box.

SOLID Green: Good circuit, OK to plug in; Bolt charging OK

SOLID Red: Bad circuit; Recommend NOT to start the charging process.
It's not a 'Converter Box'. ( new term ) It converts nothing.
It has small control board and a Big Relay. That relay is either closed or open.

Sounds like something has changed at your outlet..
Or the EVSE has gone 'funny'. Can you try it on another outlet? Do you have an outlet tester?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Isn’t it all written on the big tab attached to the wire?
Maybe people remove it because of its size.
Wasn't on mine. :cry:

It's not a 'Converter Box'. ( new term ) It converts nothing.
It has small control board and a Big Relay. That relay is either closed or open.

Sounds like something has changed at your outlet..
Or the EVSE has gone 'funny'. Can you try it on another outlet? Do you have an outlet tester?
I used that for lack of a better word, as it sure isn't a Transformer.

So, what is the official term for it? Relay box? To me, that really doesn't sound proper.

But, it does appear that it was one of the receptacles of the outlet.

EVSE? What's that? Currently, it's the only outside outlet that I have easy access to. The other method would involve running the charging cord out the window (which means leaving the window cracked open while charging, and that could be a invitation for bugs). No, I don't have an outlet tester.

But, knowing this happened on the other receptacle, if it happens again, I'll have the manager get someone out to check it.

Are you plugged into a GFIC outlet?
Yes, it's a GFI outlet. Though it appears, that one of the receptacles is bad, as when I plugged into the other one, I got a Solid green light. :)

·
Registered
Premier, Yo, with every goodie!
1,321 Posts
Though it appears, that one of the receptacles is bad, as when I plugged into the other one, I got a Solid green light. :)
Found it!
Our work here is done! (y)

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Tony,

The official designation is Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment, or EVSE.

In function it's a specialized extension cord that guarantees a good ground, offers a dead plug until it's plugged in, and advertises the maximum current the car can draw.

The lights need to be all green to charge. I would suggest testing it on another outlet.

Finally, if you end up using another outlet, make sure that everything else on the same circuit is turned off. As an alternative you can make sure your Bolt is set to the 8A charging setting for 120V. Both are designed to ensure that you don't trip the circuit breaker when you plug in. My electric zero turn and my EVSE share the same circuit. Just this week I forgot I had both plugged in at the same time and tripped the circuit breaker.

One last item
ga2500ev

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
This just reminded me of something: I have never used the OEM EVSE! And I have had the car since April… I need to make sure it works; I have it in the trunk for emergencies 🤓

·
Registered
2021 Bolt Premier
3,481 Posts
This just reminded me of something: I have never used the OEM EVSE! And I have had the car since April… I need to make sure it works; I have it in the trunk for emergencies 🤓
You might also make an adapter to test it on 240V. It's internals are made to be compatible with European (220V, 50Hz) power requirements, too. The plug is changed for the US market. Do note that it's not approved for such use, so doing so is at your own risk., but many here use it that way often.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Don't use it on 240VAC 60Hz.

A GFCI can work with a missing ground I am told.

If one outlet is bad, you might buy an outlet tester and look at others in your home. Ground is important.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Tony,

The official designation is Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment, or EVSE.

In function it's a specialized extension cord that guarantees a good ground, offers a dead plug until it's plugged in, and advertises the maximum current the car can draw.

The lights need to be all green to charge. I would suggest testing it on another outlet.

Finally, if you end up using another outlet, make sure that everything else on the same circuit is turned off. As an alternative you can make sure your Bolt is set to the 8A charging setting for 120V. Both are designed to ensure that you don't trip the circuit breaker when you plug in. My electric zero turn and my EVSE share the same circuit. Just this week I forgot I had both plugged in at the same time and tripped the circuit breaker.

One last item
ga2500ev
Thanks.

Luckily, the other receptacle of the same outlet gave me a Green light, so all's good. But, you may want to read, Variable mi/kWh added while charging... . Crazy what's happening.

Don't use it on 240VAC 60Hz.

A GFCI can work with a missing ground I am told.

If one outlet is bad, you might buy an outlet tester and look at others in your home. Ground is important.
Thanks. But, that's Level 2 Charging. I'm on Level 1.

Isn’t it all written on the big tab attached to the wire?
Maybe people remove it because of its size.
Do you have it?

If so, please take a picture, and post it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts