Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello forum members.

As promised, I have included details on my new reletively inexpensive charger.

It is a Level 2 32amp charger perfectly suited for the Bolt.

For $250 + $18 shipping it is quite a deal compared to the Chinese products on eBay and Amazon which are essentially resales from unknown vendors in California and Arizona. Good luck getting warranty or repair services on that.

Out of the box, 32amp ready and plug and play for the Chevy Bolt.

Comes with a 14-50 nema plug and the proper J1772 Duosida 50amp rated plug.

Has 20 feet of wire with the unit.

Has tabs to mount on the wall or can be used as a portable since it is that small.

Is adjustable to lower amperages but you need to unscrew the cover to do that so it is not meant to be done on a regular basis which is the only advantage the Chinese products have over this.

Not WIFI enabled.

Nothing fancy, just works as described.

A viable option for those who do not want to spend $400 to $600 for a Juicebox, Clipper Creek or EVSE unit with more bells and whistles or who just want to get their feet wet in level 2 charging before spending more money.

A perfect upgrade from the Level 1 GM supplied charger.

Not UL or CSA approved (neither are the Chinese ones) but built in a weather tight enclosure.

Charges my Bolt at the maximum 25 miles range per hour of charge.

You can purchase on Ebay using Paypal or email directly at [email protected] or call 404-370-2090 to order.

Has had many good reviews on eBay.

Assembled in Canton, Georgia, USA

Comes with a 3 yr warranty and shipped to me on time.

Nice to buy from a real person here in the USA...seeing a need for this kind of product at this pricepoint.

Very happy with this purchase and happy to answer any forum questions from other members.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Moved to the marketplace forum.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Charger post moved?

You moved it so no one can see the post?

Do you have stock in Juicebox or Clipper Creek?

I searched high and low looking for this type of inexpensive level 2 product and you banish it to the back pages of the forum so no one can see it?

I am not selling this product...I bought one so other forum members could see it and comment on it. I don' t see you "moving" post of other chargers mentioned...

What gives?

In very poor taste in my opinion.

There is so little quality information on available chargers...written by forum members for the Bolt.

·
Registered
592 Posts
The post shows up just fine. Marketplace is fine too, not that you're advertising but it's kind of that kind of post.

Anyhow the EVSE looks cool. I'd be hesitant with a off brand inexpensive unit, but frankly EVSE's are dirt simple. Just a simple controller to throw a relay. Crazy what they charge for these units (I think the cable and plug is the expensive part.)

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You are absolutely correct again ProfessorBolta.

You had mentioned in a previous post about the gap between Level 1 and Level 2 pricing of units.

We talked about upgrading the GM provided unit through an outfit in California for (at the time) $199 which seemed like alot to me for something not really taking advantage of true level 2 charging. It was that or pony up to $375 for a true level 2 charger.

In continuing my search, a 20 foot cable with a comparable J1772 handheld was running $100. Add another $20 for a 14-50 cord and your halfway there to $250 when you add shipping.

I didn't feel like lugging out 20 feet of cord everyday, so I cut the cord down to 5 feet which worked perfect for me since my 1450 is 4 or 5 feet away from the car.

When I mentioned this manufacturer in a previous post, you couldn't find him...and not yet recieving the product, I didn't want to release too much if it was a bad product.

That is why when it finally arrived and worked well, I detailed how to get a hold of one.

And you are absolutely right...there isn't much to it inside the box...in this or any other unit..

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
I moved it because it appeared to be an ad for something you were selling. I didn’t realize it was a review of something you had bought.

My apologies.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thank you devbolt for leaving it there.

Might help someone in the future who doesn't want to spend big money on a level 2 charger.

I appreciate it.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
None of them have a switch to turn it off. that I know of. There is virtually no current draw from the units themselves. You could plug, and unplug that big 14-50 plug all day with no spark generated.
The big current draw only happens after they are plugged into the car. The car disconnects when the release button is pushed on the J plug handle. Just don't unplug the 14-50 plug, while the J plug handle is plugged in.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Nice EVSE.... reasonably priced to.

I sent an ebay message the the manufacturer encouraging him to create an account here and post about and support his product.

I'd like to see detailed photos of the internals of this unit....

·
Registered
592 Posts
Ha ha, now it's $300 (excuse me, $297). Your email might have convinced him it is getting popular. Capitalism.

I'm spoiled, I got my first ClipperCreek HCS-40 as part of my solar, so 30% off. The next two were JuiceBox's and free (well tax + $50 handling) rebate from my power company. So I've got plenty of cheap/free UL EVSE's so can afford to be picky about getting a name brand.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
NY-ROB.

I have pictures of the internals for you.

I will post them shortly...

I will also be calling him to see if he will offer a discount to forum members for my hard work to re iew his product...

Not happy about the price bump.

Again, I'll post the pictures shortly.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
NY-ROB

Here are the internals.

A simple relay with a 4 wire configuration. 2 hots (black and red) with a ground wire (green).

The white wire is used as the signal/pilot wire which converts to the purple wire to the circuit board. It is not used as a neutral wire at the box nor the handheld.

The circuit board has a tiny black button which is used to change the amperage settings. One push and it goes from 32 to 16. Another push and it goes from 16 to 8 and so on. You have to undo the cover to do this but for my purposes I just leave it at 32 amps. It is not meant to be done repeatedly as you have to unscrew the 4 panel screws to access the circuitboard. The button is located in the picture at the top left hand corner of the circuitboard.

It works great on the Bolt as the maximum draw is 32 amps.

I have had no issues with the unit so far and I use it as my main charger.

The wire used is not as flexible as the higher end units. It is the same 4 wire stuff you can buy at lowes. But the nice thing is that if you damage the wire, you can easily replace it. I cut mine from 20 to 5 feet as I plug into the same outlet everday at work 3 feet from the car.

At the other end at the hand held it is rigged up the same way. Sorry i did not take a picture of that end. The purple/white wire hooks up to a simple cut switch activated by the trigger on the handheld.

Hope this clarifies things.

Happy to answer any other questions you may have.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
NY-ROB.

I have pictures of the internals for you.

I will post them shortly...

I will also be calling him to see if he will offer a discount to forum members for my hard work to re iew his product...

Not happy about the price bump.

Again, I'll post the pictures shortly.
If he were to sell them at $250 again, I will buy one right away. Looks like a decent unit for what it is.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Your wish is granted

If he were to sell them at $250 again, I will buy one right away. Looks like a decent unit for what it is.
Looks like your lucky day. He is selling them today for $249. Search for jadaniell in the vendor search on ebay or look for the ebay store: J A Daniell. Google found it for me even without the ebay advanced search.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks for posting this! I bought and returned a $600 ChargePoint home charger b/c I felt I could get by by just charging at my work's Level 2 charger and with the GM Level 1 charge cord since I mostly just commute and do small trips with the Bolt.

Did you have to get an electrician to help you install this unit? I'm intrigued by this for sure and may get it but I'm a little hesitant because I live in an apartment and while I'm about to move from my outdoor parking spots to a building attached garage for $50 more per month, I'm loathe to pay an electrician some expensive amount to hardwire a home charger for something I'll have to do again if I leave this apartment.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts