Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Level 2 is typically a 40A circuit loaded up to 32A or perhaps a 50A circuit loaded up to 40A, but today I came across one on PlugShare which is listed as an 80A level 2 plug. This may be the total power available to 2 plugs, but it made me wonder - if given a condition such as this, does anyone know how much power a Bolt will pull out of that level 2 connection? Seemingly this would be capable of 64A x 240v through 1 plug, which is 15.36 kwh. Can a Bolt pull that much power through the level 2 plug?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Photonburst! Good info to know, and I will check out the link you attached. ��

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Level 2 is typically a 40A circuit loaded up to 32A or perhaps a 50A circuit loaded up to 40A, but today I came across one on PlugShare which is listed as an 80A level 2 plug.
It wouldn't happen to be a Sun Country Highway (thank you Canada!) J1772 Level 2 charger, would it? I ran into that before at a Best Western in Federal Way. They don't allow guests to charge, but the 80A appears to be for cars that support higher charges. I was under the impression some Teslas allow for 80A charging from a J1772 connector.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Tesla’s S/X can charge at 72 or 80 amps depending on model year and configuration - base Tesla rate is 40/48 amp depending on config and model year

Model 3 is either 32 or 48 depending on long or short range editions.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, quirkysquirt, it was a couple of electric utility provided chargers located in northern Michigan, found on PlugShare. Seeing 80A made me light up to the opportunities, since there are no fast chargers available for long distances in Michigan, making treks between the peninsulas a much harder chore, but someday . . . Hopefully sooner than later.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts