Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
What are the advantages of buying a level 2 charger versus simply using a 200/240 volt outlet. Apologies if this has been addressed before.
Based on ave commuter miles here is my take on all of this below. The first three lines are all possible on the Chevy EVSE.

110v 8a- You must be super diligent and plug in every single time you are home.

110v 12a- You must be diligent daily but you can get away with only night rate charging.

240v 12a- You can get away with only charging every other day or every 3rd day even with off rate only charging.

240v 32a- You can be a lazy bum and forget to plug in pretty much any time and still be fine.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
I'm confused. I thought that if you plugged the OEM evse into 240V (a nema 6-50 for instance) that it would actually charge the car faster than using a standard 120V outlet. Not by that much, but faster than 120V. No?
Faster, but only twice as fast. 240v vs 120v (with same 12Amps)
Yeah, there's perhaps some confusion because the Bolt is capable of charging at a rate of almost 7.7 kW if you have an EVSE that can work at 32A with 240V. But the OEM EVSE that comes with the Bolt maxes out at 12A no matter what voltage you use, so it's maximum 240V charge rate is only 2.88kW. But that's still twice as fast as the 1.44kW rate you get when using 120V.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I'm confused. I thought that if you plugged the OEM evse into 240V (a nema 6-50 for instance) that it would actually charge the car faster than using a standard 120V outlet. Not by that much, but faster than 120V. No?
120V @ 12A, expect about 80% efficiency.
240V @ 12A, expect about 90% efficiency.

So... 240V would charge a little more than 2x of 120V.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a new 2020 Bolt with the internal fast charger capability. What are the advantages of buying a level 2 charger versus simply using a 200/240 volt outlet. Apologies if this has been addressed before.
I purchased a level two for my house. Previously I had two lease return Leafs. Think I paid 350 online. I had a friend run a plug in my garage where I wanted to set my charger up. He charged me 75.00. For the Leafs it took ~4hrs. To charge, my 2020 Bolt takes a little longer, but my wife only charges once a week. We just got our EVgo fast charge cards. They work great it you are on an extended trip, stop for lunch and by the time you get back, you will be good to go. (45/60 minutes)

21 - 25 of 25 Posts