Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Multiple Volta charging stations refused to start and one ChargePoint that I had used before did also. At first I thought it was dirty plug handle contact pins and latch, so cleaned everything up and tried it in my garage at 8 amps on a 110. That charged fine. Never had any problem until a dealer did the main battery recall upgrade. Car was returned to me with a full charge and working perfectly, but the first time I tried a free Volta charge station the Bolt displayed "Charge Not started". No other info was displayed. I looked through the menu displays and cannot find any info or settings that would have this effect.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt Premier
490 Posts
Multiple Volta charging stations refused to start and one ChargePoint that I had used before did also. At first I thought it was dirty plug handle contact pins and latch, so cleaned everything up and tried it in my garage at 8 amps on a 110. That charged fine. Never had any problem until a dealer did the main battery recall upgrade. Car was returned to me with a full charge and working perfectly, but the first time I tried a free Volta charge station the Bolt displayed "Charge Not started". No other info was displayed. I looked through the menu displays and cannot find any info or settings that would have this effect.
Don't know where you are but I too have a 17 Bolt, in LA and just this morning, I had an issue with at least 4 Volta chargers. Then I was finally able to find one that worked.
There's a good chance it's the charging stations and not your Bolt.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
1,153 Posts
I've used the free Volta stations in multiple locations. But one location in particular always failed to connect. The rest were fine, but it is most likely a Volta problem, not something with your car.

·
Registered
2017 Chevrolt Bolt EV
1,363 Posts
I was having an issue similar where it wouldnt charge at slow chargers, the problem was under "Charging" I had it set at 12 Amps instead of 8 Amps ..once set to 8 Amps worked fine

·
Registered
2017 Bolt LT
564 Posts
I had a similar problem with one of Electrify America's solar chargers. Failed to charge. I blamed the cloudy day, but is it something more? That said, my L2 at home is perfectly happy with the new battery.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've always been set for 8 amps to be safe for home garage charging. Did try a free public ChargePoint L2 station that had been a reliable source and it rejected the Bolt. I may go out again tomorrow and make the rounds to verify that all the Volta stations react the same, and try at least one L2 ChargePoint. Right now the only key factor I see is L2 since L1 works

·
Registered
2020 Chevy Bolt EV [Mosiac Black]
41 Posts
I had a problem at my home L2 and some public L2 chargers. I would plug it in but it would say "Unable to Charge." I found with my home L2, if I unplugged the charger and plugged it back in (or flipped the breaker off/on), it would charge correctly for about a week until the error popped up again. I sent the charger back to the manufacturer for RMA, but the replacement did the same thing. It's a ChargePoint Home Flex NEMA 6-50 unit.

Then I had my vehicle's software updated to the 80% charge restriction update (2020, Remedy Not Available yet) and the problem hasn't reoccurred.

·
Registered
12/16 build, 2017, white LT
11,997 Posts
I've always been set for 8 amps to be safe for home garage charging. Did try a free public ChargePoint L2 station that had been a reliable source and it rejected the Bolt. I may go out again tomorrow and make the rounds to verify that all the Volta stations react the same, and try at least one L2 ChargePoint. Right now the only key factor I see is L2 since L1 works
Sorry. Unless you are using the charge cord included with the car, plugged into a 120 volt outlet, your 8 amp setting is doing nothing.

Do you have an L2 at home?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry. Unless you are using the charge cord included with the car, plugged into a 120 volt outlet, your 8 amp setting is doing nothing.

Do you have an L2 at home?
Right. Only expect the 8 amp setting to be effective at home with the standard charging cable. No L2 at home.
I was successful at a ChargePoint L2 stations today so I think that eliminates the Bolt as the problem. It does leave Volta as the suspect though. Volta has a number of stations at Stonebriar Mall in Frisco TX, and I had bad luck to try 3 that were down or they are behind in maintenance.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts