Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone come across this issue when after Level 2 type charging is completed and the Bolt sends the signal to the charger to stop charging, the charger stops for only 5 seconds then resumes charging even though the Bolt is fully charged. The cooling fans come on and the Level 2 charger is showing it is still delivering a charge to the Bolt. We are concerned that we could overcharge the batteries if it is not disconnected immediately. We are using a Siemens Versicharge 30 AMP Level 2 Charger and are not sure if it is an issue with the Siemens Charger or if it's an issue with the Bolt's charging system. This started happening 3 days after having the Level 2 Charging Station installed. We have contacted Siemens and they are investigating the issue and have suggested additional troubleshooting steps for me to take. Any help anyone can offer in solving this will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Joe Aguire

·
Registered
168 Posts
How long did it keep charging after that? I think I heard of another user saying something like this was happening to them too. It is possible that because the car has just completed charging, the was running a maintenance cycle which would then draw power from the battery, so the charger kicks in to keep it maintained. This is speculation - but I know that if I "remote start" my bolt, the charger goes back to "charging" even though the battery was full - it's just running a few fans and getting the battery back condition into peak state. So the charger can provide more power than the conditioning/maintenance can provide.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it.

the charger in the car cycles thru fan operations etc. mine actually disconnects sometimes in the middle of the charge and starts back up again. it's all part of proper battery management and care.

even when the car is full (solid light) it can be an other 15 or 30 minutes until the car is "done"

it won't "overcharge" your battery

what happens if you keep it plugged in after it's done

·
Registered
95 Posts
How long did it keep charging after that? I think I heard of another user saying something like this was happening to them too. It is possible that because the car has just completed charging, the was running a maintenance cycle which would then draw power from the battery, so the charger kicks in to keep it maintained. This is speculation - but I know that if I "remote start" my bolt, the charger goes back to "charging" even though the battery was full - it's just running a few fans and getting the battery back condition into peak state. So the charger can provide more power than the conditioning/maintenance can provide.

what he said

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The first time it was still charging 15 - 20 minutes after charging had completed. The second time only a couple of minutes. This didn't happen the first three days with this new charger, I'm just concerned about overcharging Lithium batteries.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Remember the charger is actually in the Bolt, not in the EVSE. The EVSE is just a supply unit, it doesn't tell the car to charge or not charge or how much current to use. The EVSE just makes the current available to the charger. So if the car is overcharging, it is the car doing it to itself. The fan that comes on (mine has come on a number of times) is there to also cool the charger itself as it is taking in a lot of current and will heat up. I actually watched my one night the fan came on towards the end of the charge cycling and stayed on a good 10 or 15 minutes before it shut off.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Slightly off topic but how to do you like the Siemens Versicharge L2 charger? (other than this suspected issue)

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Slightly off topic but how to do you like the Siemens Versicharge L2 charger? (other than this suspected issue)
X2 on wanting your likes/dislikes, as Siemens is the charger my utility has chosen to supply, but I still haven't a date for their free install. Good thing we don't do many miles, so the trickle charger has been keeping up thus far.

jack vines

1 - 9 of 9 Posts