Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to know how fast or slow my car would be charged on a level 2 charging station so I set an android alarm to go off every hour reminding me to track the expected miles from the my Chevrolet app as I was working in the office all day.

My goal is to see if the charging rate goes down if I had to make a long trip and need to add in a few miles once I stop for a meal or a short break.

This is what I found:

Charge start 53 miles at 8am
1st hour at 80 miles at 9am
2nd hour at 106 miles at 10am
3rd hour at 130 miles at 11am
4th hour at 156 miles at noon
5th hour at 181 miles at 1pm
6th hour at 207 miles at 2pm
7th hour at 232 miles at 3pm
8th hour at 257 miles at 4pm
9th hour at 281 miles at between 4pm to 5pm

At the last hour, I was ready to go home from work and the my Chevrolet app told me the car are full charge so I did not wait till 5pm but unplug earlier. The charge point sent me text stating a total charge time of 8:57:38 with 52.79 KWh added.

Hence I left work around 5pm fully charged. My conclusion is that I add roughly 25 miles for each hour at the level 2 charger and it really did not speed up or slow down during the course of the charge. I had expected the charge to slow down once I was past the half mark but I guess that only applies to fast DC charging.

Not bad at all for me as I was working the whole time and I did not need to wait at all. This gives me an idea of my charge rate if I was to go on a long trip taking stops.

·
Registered
624 Posts
the charge rate does drop off - check in the chargepoint app next time. for the last 30 minutes or so, the rate will decrease.

it would be nice if the chargers were smart enough to know when you had hilltop reserve on, so it wouldn't slow down - no risk of overcharging if you're going to stop at 90% anyway.

i think the range estimate might be based on how you're driving as well, so if you're driving aggressively, you might only add 20 miles of range per hour charging. in any case, if you're on a 6kWh charger, you're only going to add 6kWh per hour of charging. range is fungible, physics is not.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
it would be nice if the chargers were smart enough to know when you had hilltop reserve on, so it wouldn't slow down - no risk of overcharging if you're going to stop at 90% anyway.
The charge rate is controlled by the car, not the "charger" (as long as the car isn't trying to draw more than it can provide).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts