Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to install a level 2 home charger in my garage, so that I can charge my new 2020 Bolt EV Premier overnight.
I was thinking of ordering a Clipper Creek HCS - 40, as soon as I confirm with the electrician that the line from the house to the garage can handle 40 Amps. However, I see that Electrify America sells a home charging unit for $449 ( the HCS - 40 is $565 )

Does anyone have any experience with either of these 2 units ? Anyone know why the Clipper Creek unit is so much more expensive ? Thanks to all. Jim

·
Registered
555 Posts
I don't know anything about the EA units, but CC and JuiceBox are made in the US and both have great customer service. I wound up going with the CC HCS-40 but I got a refurb unit that I found on their website. I read some reviews of both the JB and CC units that complained about wifi issues so I bought a simple non wifi one and it has been trouble free for 3 years.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Even though I have it on my Juicebox, I have found that wifi is a bit redundant given that you can see the charging status of your Bolt through the Chevy app.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
I personally use an open evse level 2 charger and it's great. If you add them on facebook and ask for a discount code they will normally send you one. I think I paid about $330 for the kit with wifi. it was super easy to put together and I can track and control my charging. I'm surprised at the cost of most of these chargers as they are really nothing more than smart extension cords and I use the term smart rather loosely. I would say the biggest like that I have is the fact that if there is any failure I don't have to throw out the whole unit as it is easily fixed/upgraded cheaply. They also sell fully built units as well. OpenEVSE - Electric Vehicle Charging Solutions

·
Registered
917 Posts
I second recommend considering the Juice box, I personally have one and it is a great unit. I do like the historical charge data to track cost.It has a very nice UI and app.

I also recommend calling CC to see what is available refurbished. The EA offering is fairly recent and I haven't seen one yet.

This site also has lots of good options.

I also highly recommend getting a EVSE with a plug, not direct wired, for ease of servicing or moving.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Actually Clipper Creek has this model @ $469.00

·
Registered
32 Posts
I went with Clipper Creek and did pay a little more, but decided on them because they are located about 30 minutes from my home and wanted to give a local company some business. I haven't needed to use their support more and once, but they responded quickly to my request. Also, the electrician who installed my charger recommended them. The unit I purchased doesn't have all the things that others have like display or an app, but I only need it to charge and it does it well.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
I'd run a 50A circuit to the garage and install a 14-50R there. Then make a special 5-15R to 14-50P adapter for the Chevy OEM EVSE so that it can use 240V. Clearly mark the adapter as "240V AC ONLY!". The OEM EVSE internals are the same as those used in the European market, and are capable of 240V and a charge rate of 2.88kW. Unless you're driving more than about a hundred miles a day, you might find that this meets your needs without immediately going to the expense of buying a $500 L2 EVSE. Many others here have done this (including me), but do note that doing so is under your own risk.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks. The house was constructed in 1915, the detached garage in 1984. The electricity runs in an underground pipe. The first electrician ( who gave me an estimate over $3,000 - charger not included ) advised that the wire between the house and the garage cannot safely support more than 16 Amps. Not sure if he can use the old wire to snake a heavier gauge wire thru the pipe.
At 16 Amps, it would take over 16 hours to fully charge the 2020 Bolt; so I am willing to run a new wire to the garage.
I am only marginally handy, so I do not want to do any of the electrical work myself - too dangerous.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Fully charging is an interesting point. Most EV people learn that's a unicorn-like rare occurance as the chances of coming in completely empty on a 240 mile range vehicle and having to turn around in a really short timeframe completely full is small.

I guess the question is what other supporting infrastructure is nearby? For example there is a 50 kW DCFC 4 miles from the house here. In that unicorn situation, it could be put to use.

I guess if the at home charger really has to cover every situation, including this one, then there are fewer options. But I'd really question the expected value of the expense of rewiring and adding a higher speed EVSE over the number of times it would really be needed. "Just in case" can get to be really expensive.

ga2500ev

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'd run a 50A circuit to the garage and install a 14-50R there. Then make a special 5-15R to 14-50P adapter for the Chevy OEM EVSE so that it can use 240V. Clearly mark the adapter as "240V AC ONLY!". The OEM EVSE internals are the same as those used in the European market, and are capable of 240V and a charge rate of 2.88kW. Unless you're driving more than about a hundred miles a day, you might find that this meets your needs without immediately going to the expense of buying a $500 L2 EVSE. Many others here have done this (including me), but do note that doing so is under your own risk.
If you're gonna pull new wire, then definitely pull correct gauge for 50A. But the OEM EVSE that came with your car only draws 12A, so it might work with existing wiring as suggested by GregBrew? You need the wire to have greater capacity than just 12 amps though. I bought a Juice Box 40A unit but honestly, the OEM unit will charge from almost empty to 80% charge overnight when running on a 240V circuit.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have an 80 mile roundtrip commute and I installed a CC 24 amp EVSE, and it takes ~5-6 hours to charge depending on how much extra driving I do (that's about 30% of my range). I could get by just fine with 16 amps and even 12 amps (@240v), except that I want to charge only between 10pm and 5am but in my case, that doesn't save me any money (I just do it because I'm a nice guy to my utility, which is a co-op.) so I don't think I would have paid thousands of dollars to get to my current charging speed. I'm pretty much always in bed for at least 8 hours, which as you say is half a charge, or ~130 miles on a 16 amp EVSE. So unless you're pulling in late from a long drive with a plan to depart early for another long drive, 16 amps is fine. I do think it's not a bad idea to have two EVSEs though, and the Clipper Creek that I have does tell you if the car is drawing power, which my OEM doesn't.

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
I was thinking of ordering a Clipper Creek HCS - 40, as soon as I confirm with the electrician that the line from the house to the garage can handle 40 Amps....
In case you haven't come across it yet, I'll point out that the OEM charging set that comes with the Bolt can be run at 240V. It will only charge the car at 12A, but it doubles the charging speed over 120V - so it's kind of a half-way step between 120V charging and a full 32A/240V charger.

I've been charging my 2017 Bolt on 240V with the OEM charger for 2-1/2 years now - I find that I very rarely arrive home in the evening with the battery below around 50% state of charge, and 240V/12A is more than enough to get the car charged back up to the 87% "Hilltop Reserve" charge level overnight.

The OEM charger comes with a 120V plug, but you can connect it to a 240V socket using an adapter, or you can wire a 120V socket to 240V service from your panel (which violates electrical codes and gives some folks the heebie jeebies!).

·
Registered
2019 Chevy bolt ev premier
15 Posts
I am getting ready to install a level 2 home charger in my garage, so that I can charge my new 2020 Bolt EV Premier overnight.
I was thinking of ordering a Clipper Creek HCS - 40, as soon as I confirm with the electrician that the line from the house to the garage can handle 40 Amps. However, I see that Electrify America sells a home charging unit for $449 ( the HCS - 40 is $565 )

Does anyone have any experience with either of these 2 units ? Anyone know why the Clipper Creek unit is so much more expensive ? Thanks to all. Jim
I got ChargePoint (50 amp) rated home flex charger because of discount Thur local electric company and could track use ( home and away from) so I would not have argued with landlord of cost.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I installed a CC 40a on the outside of my house, hard wired, by my driveway (no garage or carport available). I like it just fine. Since we bought my wife a Prius Prime (just about a month before the lockdown, LOL), her car uses the Clipper Creek evse more than my Bolt does, but it’s there available for both of us.

Biggest ordeal was pulling a 50a line through the house (that is, having an electrician do it), but we never have any charging worries.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm picking up my 2020 LT in a couple of weeks and I'm waiting for the quote from the electrician to wire a 240 outlet.
I'm thinking of a Mustart 40 amp charger.
Does anyone have any experience with these?
Is it worth getting a 40 amp if the Bolt handles 32?

·
Registered
37 Posts

I have a no frills 40amp Juice Box. I have the plug in and it’s been flawless for 4.5 years. No need to get all the WiFi stuff, your bolt application will talk to your phone.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts