Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Bolt Premier
935 Posts
That is pretty close to what I expected. LG took on 70% of the cost from the Kona recall, I can't remember the totals. If this recall ends up costing 1.8 billion like GM expects LG would be taking ~66% of the costs.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Ostensibly, the other 36% could be viewed as the value of recalled packs repurposed for utility scale peaker plants. That would value deployable packs at under $65/kwh. I would expect GM working on such a business plan for their lemonade stand now that agreement reached with LG.

Then again, not sure if the $1.8b figure accounts for incidental costs like salaries of added "concierges," rental reimbursements (if you can get one), etc.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Here is the smaller version from GM's media site.

·
Registered
28 Posts
GM media report should probably clarify how an LG $1.2b payout offsets $1.9b in costs. Again, I'm guessing the difference is the value of recalled packs, but I would want a bit more detail if I were a shareholder.

Edit: I see now that the "offset" is totality of earnings for period against cost of recall

·
Registered
2021 Chevy Bolt Premiere
204 Posts

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
This is being discussed already.

·
Registered
816 Posts
So I guess GM won't be going bankrupt after all.

·
Registered
29 Posts

CNBC says it will be 1.9 billion 🤑

Same at Fox

·
Registered
28 Posts
Those articles claiming LG will pay 1.9b are likely conflating the payout settled amount (1.2b) with GM's "estimated recovery this quarter" (1.9b) They are not the same thing. Chalk it up to lazy reporting: news writer carelessly reads Reuters article and does hack job of plagiarizing it.

·
Registered
2017 LT upgraded to 2020 Premier
83 Posts
"While the recall measures will (proceed) with complete replacement of battery packs and modules made for the early models of batteries, the more recently manufactured battery modules will be selectively replaced following diagnostic software screening," LG Energy Solution said in a statement.

Looks like not all 2020-2022 MY cars will get all battery modules replaced. Come on, GM.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I doubt that LG has any say in what GM is going to do as it is a GM warranty problem. Maybe LG and take all the old batteries back and resell them to a third party for energy storage. Someone will be able to detect the faults with xray.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
"While the recall measures will (proceed) with complete replacement of battery packs and modules made for the early models of batteries, the more recently manufactured battery modules will be selectively replaced following diagnostic software screening," LG Energy Solution said in a statement.

Looks like not all 2020-2022 MY cars will get all battery modules replaced. Come on, GM.
Where did this quote come from? It goes against everything I have been saying, after reading the newest GM bulletins on this. If I am wrong, I'd like to find out sooner rather than later. :)

·
Registered
2020 Bolt Premier Nightfall Gray Metallic
49 Posts
Where did this quote come from? It goes against everything I have been saying, after reading the newest GM bulletins on this. If I am wrong, I'd like to find out sooner rather than later. :)
It's in the Reuters article, as quoted here, just attributed to a statement from LG. Seems odd to me though, not sure why LG would be making a statement about that.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Maybe LG misinterpreted GM's promise to replace defective modules in 2020-2022 cars to be a statement that GM will replace only defective modules in 2020-2022 cars.

·
Registered
5,704 Posts
I doubt that LG has any say in what GM is going to do as it is a GM warranty problem. Maybe LG and take all the old batteries back and resell them to a third party for energy storage. Someone will be able to detect the faults with xray.
As I've said, as an investor, GM should reuse the packs (after checking) on EVGo stations to reduce demand charge. Maybe then they can compete with EA on charging prices...

·
Registered
2,018 Posts

The above with respect to model year '20 to '22 Bolts matches what GM via social media has said before.

I posted about it at Chevy expands recall to include through 2022 chevy bolts..., as did someone else before me (right above my reply).

1 - 20 of 35 Posts