Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Does Bolt have a lifetime efficiency, i.e. total kWh and MPkWh stored somewhere? The two meters (trip and since last full charge) got reset after their purpose. It will be nice to know how much energy used over life of the vehicle.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hi,

Does Bolt have a lifetime efficiency, i.e. total kWh and MPkWh stored somewhere? The two meters (trip and since last full charge) got reset after their purpose. It will be nice to know how much energy used over life of the vehicle.
The MyChevrolet app has what you are looking for.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The MyChevrolet app has what you are looking for.
The app does have those numbers but is totally inaccurate unfortunately. The best thing is to just rely on the in car data and just keep a spreadsheet or something. There may be some online Fuelly equivalent site but the app is terrible (for mileage).

·
Registered
168 Posts
The app does have those numbers but is totally inaccurate unfortunately. The best thing is to just rely on the in car data and just keep a spreadsheet or something. There may be some online Fuelly equivalent site but the app is terrible (for mileage).
I'm not sure what you mean by totally inaccurate - you don't really know what GM did with the car before you got it. It definitely starts with a very poor efficiency - but over time, that "terrible" initial efficiency gets drown out by the number of miles on the car.
you could link the car up to Voltstats.net - it records your driving, although not your efficiency.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not sure what you mean by totally inaccurate - you don't really know what GM did with the car before you got it. It definitely starts with a very poor efficiency - but over time, that "terrible" initial efficiency gets drown out by the number of miles on the car.
you could link the car up to Voltstats.net - it records your driving, although not your efficiency.
I kinda agree with myChevrolet app's inaccuracy on efficiency. I got my new Bolt with 5 miles on it, the efficiency was poor. However, I drove around 200 miles since, and average around 4.8-5, so should bring my lifetime efficiency to close to 4.8 (if it's around 4.6, I will accept that). However, it still shows 2.7. Horrible!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I think the car had 10-20 miles on it when I got it. I now have 9000+. I guess by totally inaccurate I mean more than 20% off. It says 4.0 mi/kWh lifetime, when I've hardly ever had a single trip under 4.5 mi/kWh, and am generally well over 5 mi/kWh on 75% of trips. The range at full is never anywhere near 240 (4 mi/kWh). If you ask people who care about tracking mileage I think it's pretty universally agreed that the app underestimates efficiency. I've never seen anyone say it overestimates efficiency.

·
Registered
181 Posts
They probably count the first 60KWh charge after zero miles as pretty poor efficiency. You have to go up from there. Although it sounds like it may be farther off than that.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I have never tried the MyChevrolet app - not yet.

But I do like to look at figures. At fuelly.com, I enter my miles and my kWh each time I charge. Fuelly, being 280 years behind, allows to enter only gallons or liters, but I just call a kWh a gallon and that's good enough for me.

Fuelly does track everything I want tracked, and you can download all "fuel-up" data as a spreadsheet and manipulate it as you please.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I think the car had 10-20 miles on it when I got it. I now have 9000+. I guess by totally inaccurate I mean more than 20% off. It says 4.0 mi/kWh lifetime, when I've hardly ever had a single trip under 4.5 mi/kWh, and am generally well over 5 mi/kWh on 75% of trips. The range at full is never anywhere near 240 (4 mi/kWh). If you ask people who care about tracking mileage I think it's pretty universally agreed that the app underestimates efficiency. I've never seen anyone say it overestimates efficiency.
This is interesting. I went back to the app to check what mine is saying - currently it appears to be greyed out. I'm not sure if the feature is being blocked or is just not working right now. If I recall correctly I was only seeing approximately 1-2 kwh/100km off of my actual info. I figure my actual is between 17-18/100km and it was showing 19/100km if I remember correctly so it was only off by 5-10% - not 20% (I only have about 5000miles/8000km on the car right now). This was tracking closer and closer to actual efficiency over time also - it used to show low 20s, and higher before that.

Separately - I wouldn't be surprised if GM ran some sort of full charge discharge test on the car - possibly without putting any miles on it. That would possibly indicate a 0mpge figure which would definitely take some time to average out. Pure speculation though.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Did you check while your car was charging? If so it does gray it out during charging as it waits until the charging is complete to recalculate.
That could definitely explain it - I rarely check the status while it is not charging. Thanks!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Both my lifetime efficiency and 'since full charge' efficiency numbers in the Mychevrolet app are indeed wildly inaccurate.

My lifetime efficiency is now at 1.3Mi/kWh and since full charge at 2.0Mi/kWh. I average around 4.5-5.3mi/kwh. I have 758 miles on the car and bought it with less than 10 miles on the odometer.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Both my lifetime efficiency and 'since full charge' efficiency numbers in the Mychevrolet app are indeed wildly inaccurate.

My lifetime efficiency is now at 1.3Mi/kWh and since full charge at 2.0Mi/kWh. I average around 4.5-5.3mi/kwh. I have 758 miles on the car and bought it with less than 10 miles on the odometer.
Well, after nearly 6.5k miles on my Bolt, mine has evened out at about 3.7 m/KWh. However, I almost never pay much attention to this number. In everyday driving I mostly look at the range left number, which does reflect the way I drive, use of A/C, and so on. On long distance drives, the range left, and the miles to the next charging spot are the most important. Even if you can squeeze another fraction of a mile per KWh, I am not sure it will really improve the financial situation.

·
Registered
168 Posts

You don't have enough miles on the car to know if it is wildly inaccurate or just has more data than you have personally input to the vehicle. Like I mentioned before - they could have done a complete discharge cycle or more before anything got tracked on the odometer. I don't think any one of us knows exactly when the onstar data started recording, or what exactly happened to the car before you got it. I'm guessing that over approximately 10,000 miles or so, the app's efficiency figures will probably be within 1-2% of actual.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I think it does average things out since build date. When I took delivery of my Bolt, at 100% SOC, the Guess-O-Meter showed 138 miles (at 80 degrees F) and the average miles per kWh was 1.1 or so. The car had been kept at 50% or more for months in cold weather and hot, so battery conditioning and lighting up the car to show potential buyers the car at the dealership were factors.
It took a LONG time for the long-term efficiency to creep up. Can any of you guys with 20- or 30k miles report?

·
Registered
739 Posts
It took a LONG time for the long-term efficiency to creep up. Can any of you guys with 20- or 30k miles report?
As I said above, my average efficiency presently stands at 3.7 after 6463 on the odometer. In general, 3.7 is about right, so I don't think it really needs 20k on the odometer to obtain an accurate number. If I go downhill for a good while I can obtain 5 m/kWh but that is short lived, because I always have to come back up the hill. I see this every day, because my house is at about 640 ft above sea level, and our everyday shopping is about 200 ft above sea level. So efficiency is great going shopping but not so great coming back. Its sort of like a ICE machine, your mpg is fixed by the design of the car, and only with some very careful driving, no hard acceleration, no hard breaking, speed below 70 mph, etc can you improve your mpg by a few. Also, one tank of gas does not help you measure the numbers; you need longer term data. What really counts is how many miles you can go before you need to put gas in. With an electric car, most of the time you leave home with a fully charged car. Its only long distance driving do you need to know the range left in the battery. The efficiency of your driving is a small thing.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
When I got my Bolt, it had 10 miles on it. The app showed an average efficiency of 1.2 miles per kWh. The car had sat in QA limbo for over 5 weeks prior to being shipped out to California in late December/early January. God knows what they did to it while it sat. Now, at 8200 miles, that figure has crept up to 3.2 miles per kWh. Definitely taken a while. I average between 3.5 and 4.2 miles per kWh per charge typically.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I average between 3.5 and 4.2 miles per kWh per charge typically.
So, how do you come up with this average, when you car tells you its 3.2 m/kWh? My own Bolt was a very low average at the beginning too. I would try some defensive driving for awhile, and see how that affects your average. However, I will say that my driving has included 3000 miles of long-distance driving, which is supposed to be worse than stop-go driving, so its tough to explain any of this stuff without the exact day to day data to pour over. The car has an algorithm that must be the same in all cars, so except for the first few charges, I am fairly convinced the overall number the car gives reflects our own driving conditions. I don't live in a city, so my driving reflects something akin to pretty ideal driving, slowish speeds, few stops, a lot of downhill, a good deal of 65 mph highway, and so on. Looking at my average by the car, and the way I drive, my 3.7 m/kWh is logical to me. As I am a fairly defensive driver, I don't expect to be able to improve that 3.7 m/kWh in the future.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Normally I'd be the kind of guy to measure and figure all this stuff, but I've got a setup that is in the 'who cares' range. My car gets 125 mi/gallon equivalent, I've got 10kW of solar on the roof, and at work we have a few megawatts of solar with a bunch of EVSE's hanging off of them. In California at least, the more electricity you use combined with the more solar you have results in an energy budget that gets cheaper and cheaper. Consider ...

• Put in 10kW of solar
  • Convert cooking to induction cooktop from gas (~$20/mo $250/year guesstimate as I don't have exact measure of gas cooking usage)
  • Convert gas powered hot water to heat pump water heater ($360/year measured savings)
  • Convert $350-$400/month $5k/year savings in a gas car to free electric
  • Save $500/month in electric bill to free electric
So for gas I only have left a gas dryer (not much), a gas fireplace and the HVAC. Total NG bill for the year is maybe $500. But because of the savings of gasoline/maintenance from the gas car, combined with eliminating the electric bill the payoff for my 10kW solar system is about 3-4 years. And it varies, some years I produce more than others, so I'm burning power with abandon.

Luxery is being able to use nearly as much electricity as you want without worrying about it - I use climate controls in my Bolt freely to boot.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts