Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My bolt is a little over a year old and I've noticed that when it is cold outside the gas struts for the hatchback do not seem to hold up the structure and two things will happen:

Either the hatchback does not continue to raise when I lift it to the halfway point, or if I lift it, it will start to fall.

I would have expected something like this in a vehicle that is over 10 years old needing to have its gas struts replaced. But not in a car that is just over a year old.

Since buying the car, I always noticed that the hatchback closes with a very small amount of force. I always thought this was the design of the car making it easy to close. But it is excessively easy to close.

For the most part, this issue goes away when it is above 65 degrees outside.

·
Registered
5,552 Posts
Mines the opposite. I have to work at the timing and force to pull on the inside handle to get it to close with one motion. If I don't pull hard enough, it doesn't close. Don't want to pull too hard so it slams. I avoid pushing on the outside of the hatch to avoid finger prints. I live off a dirt road so all finger prints collect dust. But there is definitely a break over point where the hatch wants to go up on its own. Conversely, there's a point when closing it easily falls on its own.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I can relate to the observation that it takes very little effort to close it, compared to our other vehicles. Haven’t noticed it stalling, though. Then again, the coldest that it’s gotten over here that I remember is low 20s, so not sure if we have a good point of comparison. Agree with the post above that if you can replicate the phenomenon at the dealer, may be a good idea to just have it replaced. Hope you’re still within the bumper to bumper warranty.

·
Registered
318 Posts
It is normal for gas shocks to loose lifting power in cold climates, its just that the door on the Bolt is heavier, some cars only lift a glass or a trunk lid so they work better.

I later production they might have to increase the size of the shock to hold up the heavier door, or they might change the door to an electric operated door like found on other cars like the ford escape.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts