Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've only had the car for a day but I am noticing this weird thing where the headlights, brake lights and reverse lights randomly come on while the car is off. The first time I noticed it is when the car was on charge and I was talking to a neighbor and jiggling the keyfob, so I figured it was related to that. But it has happened several times since then, when the keyfob was stationary inside the house. Does anyone know what events cause the headlights to come on? Is it my phone bluetooth linkage thing getting within range or something? Any way to disable this behavior? I dont really want the lights turning on at night while I am walking around in the house with my phone and get too close to the driveway...

·
Registered
107 Posts
I've seen the same thing happen with mine. I do have KeyPass on but it happens even if my cell phone is in the house in the office and not near the car. I thought maybe it was part of the battery management system as at times it sounds like a jet taking off as something winds up to speed then gradually slows down. Since this usually happens when the car is plugged into wall power I have ignored it figuring it was battery management but maybe I shouldn't. Anyone know for certain what is happening?

·
Registered
544 Posts
I've seen the same thing happen with mine. I do have KeyPass on but it happens even if my cell phone is in the house in the office and not near the car. I thought maybe it was part of the battery management system as at times it sounds like a jet taking off as something winds up to speed then gradually slows down. Since this usually happens when the car is plugged into wall power I have ignored it figuring it was battery management but maybe I shouldn't. Anyone know for certain what is happening?
If you are hearing fan noises that is the thermal management system of the car, it is either cooling the battery or the charger itself. I have heard mine running a few times but never looked to see if any lights come on, it's parked in the garage so I would have to walk in there to see it.

I guess another possibility would be if you accidentally hit the remote start button on the fob, that does turn all the lights on and would run the AC/Heat dependent on temperature.

Also understand that the range on KeyPass is about 200 ft depending on interference so even another possibility it that there is just enough interference that your phone is going in and out of range of the car making it think you are walking up to it. It could even just be dropping connection to the car, I have seen multiple posts about KeyPass connection being unreliable, dropping and reconnecting which could trigger it to think you are walking up to the car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have seen multiple posts about KeyPass connection being unreliable, dropping and reconnecting which could trigger it to think you are walking up to the car.
I am pretty sure it is indeed KeyPass doing this. After thinking about all of the times its happened, its when something happened where my phone may have come in or out of range and/or gotten closer to the car. It's annoying for it to do that while it's parked in your driveway or garage. For now I am just going to disable KeyPass. I don't see much benefit to it until it can function as your key, which I heard is coming at the end of the year. If I am correct, all of the features can be accessed via normal internet connection with the app, just maybe a few seconds slower response.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I am pretty sure it is indeed KeyPass doing this. After thinking about all of the times its happened, its when something happened where my phone may have come in or out of range and/or gotten closer to the car. It's annoying for it to do that while it's parked in your driveway or garage. For now I am just going to disable KeyPass. I don't see much benefit to it until it can function as your key, which I heard is coming at the end of the year. If I am correct, all of the features can be accessed via normal internet connection with the app, just maybe a few seconds slower response.
Yeah I use the app from my phone to pre-condition my car all the time, though that is always done from much further away than KeyPass would even work anyways. Far as unlocking the car I just use the button on the door handle, sure it isn't automatically opening for me but I still don't have to take the key out of my pocket.

So if they fix keypass to make it work better and behave better, I will use it then. Until then I don't have KeyPass setup and have no plans on setting it up.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
It sounds like KeyPass is enabled, and your phone is in range to activate the welcome lights function.

If you have Keypass enabled with approach detection lighting turned on, and your phone is nearby and is constantly connecting to the car, it will turn on the lights every 2 minutes for a maximum of 3 times in an hour. After that, no approach lighting for you for another hour.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts