Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Looks great! I am seriously considering doing a wheel change after reading this thread. The gears begin turning.....

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
The AR919 wheels with 215/55R-16 Vredestein Quatrac 5 tires and tpms measured on the same scale was 37.2 lbs. So 8.8 lbs/corner less weight, or 37.2/46.0= 80.9% of the OEM configuration from my scale.
Great post, I'm going to give this serious consideration the next time I need new tires.

Looks like 215/55-16 is just 0.8% smaller diameter than the stock tire size. Probably not enough to sweat.

Of course if one could find a light weight 15" wheel that fit you could run 205/65-15 tires which are an exact match for the OEM tire diameter.

·
Registered
192 Posts
> Are these too small?
I like the look, weight and price...
I looked at those too, and from a pure weight perspective they are attractive. I would suggest making sure to get a centering ring. The wheels from tirerack came with a centering ring pre-installed which is "required" for the Bolt. I couldn't tell if this wheel you are linking had that as an option or if you would be required to add one before installing...

The other thing to consider is that at 15 inches the sidewall is getting taller which will give a little less crisp handling than the 16's, which are a little less crisp than a 17.

The offset at 38 vs 40 will also move the tire a little closer to some of the suspension components, and there's not a lot of room to begin with. But it should likely still fit if you don't go wide with the tire.

Oh, and you'll need to find some lug nuts that work with the lug threads on Bolt and also fit the curve of the holes on this wheel.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is a great thread. I'll definitely change tires and wheels when the stock tires wear out. I know they look like crap, but what do you guys think about changing to cheap-o steel wheels? They're lighter than stock, cheap, damage-resistant and I can fit aero wheel covers to improve efficiency.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
This is a great thread. I'll definitely change tires and wheels when the stock tires wear out. I know they look like crap, but what do you guys think about changing to cheap-o steel wheels? They're lighter than stock, cheap, damage-resistant and I can fit aero wheel covers to improve efficiency.

That sounds great, but they've got a pretty high "fugly factor". Perhaps having the wheel covers painted with yin-yang would help?;)

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I've already thought about it but probably wouldn't do it myself. My 15" steel wheel with a (real) tire I have as a spare is about 10# lighter than the OEM wheels and my Kumho PS31 tires. You could get 4 wheels and LRR tires for in the realm of $500.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
This is a great thread. I'll definitely change tires and wheels when the stock tires wear out. I know they look like crap, but what do you guys think about changing to cheap-o steel wheels? They're lighter than stock, cheap, damage-resistant
Agree, they're great for winter tires.

and I can fit aero wheel covers to improve efficiency.
The misconception which keeps on giving. If aero covers offered any real range efficiency within the normal operating envelope, all EVs would have them as OEM.

jack vines

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
The misconception which keeps on giving. If aero covers offered any real range efficiency within the normal operating envelope, all EVs would have them as OEM.
Cars are built to be aesthetically pleasing to the customer and to provide adequate ventilation to the brakes. It's not that aero covers don't work; it's that they don't work well enough to justify offending the aesthetic tastes of the customer and possibly not cool the brakes enough for the lunkhead drivers that abuse them.

Auto manufacturers make design decisions all the time that go against function. Take the Leaf, for instance. It has relatively short range and a fairly terrible aerodynamic design, all to achieve the unique and quite unappealing look.

http://ecomodder.com/wiki/index.php/Smooth_wheel_covers

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Cars are built to be aesthetically pleasing to the customer and to provide adequate ventilation to the brakes. It's not that aero covers don't work; it's that they don't work well enough to justify offending the aesthetic tastes of the customer and possibly not cool the brakes enough for the lunkhead drivers that abuse them.

Auto manufacturers make design decisions all the time that go against function. Take the Leaf, for instance. It has relatively short range and a fairly terrible aerodynamic design, all to achieve the unique and quite unappealing look.

http://ecomodder.com/wiki/index.php/Smooth_wheel_covers

I had to laugh at that...and I agree wholeheartedly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wow, those black wheels on the white Bolt look really good. I keep hearing about cutting 8-10 pounds off each corner with lighter wheels and tires. Does anyone know how much that might increase the range of the Bolt? That would help me decide if it's worth it to spend the money or not.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I got the DRAG DR-33 17x7.5 5-105.00/110.00 42 BKGLXX (There are two versions, the one I listed is the one I got)
America's Tire ITEM:13800

Wheel Weight: 17lbs.

Lightest Tire I picked out was:
Hankook
Ventus V12 evo2 K120

Tire Weight: 22lbs.

Alot less tire chipping now, if any, and handles much better overall. Ok in the rain, just don't go crazy, they are summer tires.
I only commute about 30miles twoway total. The way I drive, On a full charge, I'm getting about 170miles.. 209miles Max off the dash. I'm sure it will be more if I didn't have a lead foot.

Attached are rendering and final install pics:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Wow, those black wheels on the white Bolt look really good. I keep hearing about cutting 8-10 pounds off each corner with lighter wheels and tires. Does anyone know how much that might increase the range of the Bolt? That would help me decide if it's worth it to spend the money or not.
Don't spend money on lighter wheels expecting to increase the range; not gonna happen.

If I found a decent deal on Cruze Eco forged wheels, I'd buy them and put LRR Michelins without the self-sealing just because they'd ride and handle better.

jack vines

·
Registered
111 Posts
I got the DRAG DR-33 17x7.5 5-105.00/110.00 42 BKGLXX (There are two versions, the one I listed is the one I got)

Wheel Weight: 17lbs.

Lightest Tire I picked out was:
Hankook
Ventus V12 evo2 K120

Tire Weight: 22lbs.

Alot less tire chipping now, if any, and handles much better overall. Ok in the rain, just don't go crazy, they are summer tires.
I only commute about 30miles twoway total. The way I drive, On a full charge, I'm getting about 170miles.. 209miles Max off the dash. I'm sure it will be more if I didn't have a lead foot.

Attached are rendering and final install pics:
I love the blacked out look! Thank you for sharing!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thank you for the information. I just purchased one on e-bay for $58. I hope to create an inexpensive spare tire for my 2017 Bolt. I live in New Mexico, where travel distances are in the hundreds of miles, so I need a spare tire just in case of a tire failure due hitting something in the road, etc.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Great find. It's remarkable how many "performance" wheels don't have weight in published specs-- bizarre given that wheel weight is a key factor.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Right it wont help range much if at all.. because of the regen. But it helps other things. It helps max accel and likely allows the suspension to control wheel motion better. If you used to command 100kw before to do a xx second accel merging on to the freeway, with the lighter wheels you may only need 98kw. And obviously your 160kw max accel run will be quicker. If those are things that even matter for the car owner....

That is a deal and a half for those wheels if that weight is right. Smokin deal. Did you actually put them on a scale to verify? I've bought a lot of wheels over the years and they are not always the weight they state.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Automakers balance many issues including production costs and marketability. If aerodynamic wheels/covers cost $5 more per car most automakers won't put them on. If focus groups thought the aero covers looked goofy you'd better believe that they aren't going on.

GM already designed the car to be significantly less aerodynamic than it should be just so they could call it a crossover.

Don't spend money on lighter wheels expecting to significantly increase the range; not gonna happen.
Fixed that for you.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts