Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I just bought a new 2020 Bolt LT with the DCFC and Comfort+Convenience Package (28.5 OTD before state incentives in MA, by the way). Really like it so far!

I live in new construction with Webasto Level 2 32A chargers. Apparently the local utility pushed back against having too many chargers due congestion on the local distribution grid, but we have a fair number of them.

In my first time charging the car said the charge was interrupted. I noticed that the charger was then off, like the breaker had flipped. I tried it on another charger, same thing. So then I tried one more ( :) ) and this time I watched and the charger and it looked fine for 30 seconds then went orange, and poof - the charger was off again.

I asked our property manager, and my impression is that we may have bought those 32A chargers before being told we couldn't use all of them, so perhaps the designers re-spec'ed the charging for 16A and put them on 20A breakers.

But the EVSE itself is 32A, and I called the mfg and they said no way to configure it to run lower. Since this sounds like it'll probably take a while for the property manager to realize that the builder didn't get the chargers right, then get it corrected, I wanted to check to see if there is any way to tell the Bolt to limit the input current on Level 2.

I know the EVSE communicates to the car (SAE J1772 - Wikipedia), and that the car won't pull more than it's 32A rated max, but I don't see any way to turn down the Level 2 rate to 16A within the car. I know I can change level 1, but any ideas for Level 2?

I did see this thread which indicated it's not possible, but wanted to check if anything has changed:

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Nope. The Bolt will take 8A or 12A on the 120V (L1) OEM charger, depending on the Bolt's settings, and whatever the EVSE advertises, up to 32A on 240V (L2). Many L2 EVSEs will allow you to change what they advertise to the vehicle.

The Siemens Versichage is one example. It's selectable for 7.5A, 15A, 22.5A and it's default is 30A.

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
Webasto Level 2 32A chargers
Welcome to the forum. The Bolt can't control the level 2 amps. Looks like some Webasto units can be 16 or 32 amps per this installation guide (but no mention if it's adjustable):
240 VAC Operation: the charger requires either a 240 VAC split phase or a 208 VAC two phase dedicated circuit. It draws a maximum of either 16-amp or 32-amp continuous current and requires a 20-amp or 40-amp rated circuit breaker.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Is there a possibility there's a 240v outlet you could plug a 16A EVSE into?

Otherwise - while it is theoretically possible to have an adapter/interposer that would override the reported 32A and report only 16, no one actually makes such a product because it's an extremely niche sort of thing.

·
Registered
50 Posts
You could attach one of these to your Webasto: Modular EV Power J1772 to NEMA Adapters

Then you could plug in a lower powered L2 that won't pop the breaker (with an adapter (Level 2 Upgrade Adapter 220 240V for Chevy Volt / Bolt EV 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019) you could use your Chevy Level 1 charger as a 12A level 2 for this).

If you get an adjustable NEMA EVSE (like this: KHONS Adjustable 12-32A, 120-240V EV Charger EVSE with Timer and Wall Mount:Amazon:Automotive), then you can start at 16, then keep upping the Amps until you find out the max current you can pull without tripping.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
You could attach one of these to your Webasto: Modular EV Power J1772 to NEMA Adapters

Then you could plug in a lower powered L2 that won't pop the breaker (with an adapter (Level 2 Upgrade Adapter 220 240V for Chevy Volt / Bolt EV 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019) you could use your Chevy Level 1 charger as a 12A level 2 for this).

If you get an adjustable NEMA EVSE (like this: KHONS Adjustable 12-32A, 120-240V EV Charger EVSE with Timer and Wall Mount:Amazon:Automotive), then you can start at 16, then keep upping the Amps until you find out the max current you can pull without tripping.
"If you get an adjustable NEMA EVSE (like this: KHONS Adjustable 12-32A, 120-240V EV Charger EVSE with Timer and Wall Mount:Amazon:Automotive), then you can start at 16, then keep upping the Amps until you find out the max current you can pull without tripping." (Emphasis mine.)

I would HIGHLY recommend NOT doing this!

·
Registered
50 Posts
"If you get an adjustable NEMA EVSE (like this: KHONS Adjustable 12-32A, 120-240V EV Charger EVSE with Timer and Wall Mount:Amazon:Automotive), then you can start at 16, then keep upping the Amps until you find out the max current you can pull without tripping." (Emphasis mine.)

I would HIGHLY recommend NOT doing this!

Fair enough, not the right course of action -(it wasn't clear to me if he knew the breakers were 20A or not). If they are 20A, then he should set the charger amps accordingly (16A), and not push it.

If an electrician actually wired a 32A on a breaker less than 40A with wiring smaller than 8 ga, then there is a big problem. Of course there is the real possibility the Webasto EVSEs are faulty, but 3 all failing seems unlikely.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts