Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Chevy Bolt Premier
77 Posts
I’m going to say that your battery should be fine past 100k miles and it should see 200k miles in my opinion you will see degradation of course.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thank you.

Just came from a local Chevy dealer that has a 2017 Bolt with 49700 miles on it. There are some scratches on plastic around door entrances and couple dents on the hood. They want $14700. My trade in is $7000 so I will finance $7700 plus taxes and fees. Test drove the vehicle. I did like it. Took a night to think. Want to ask them for $500 off and no any dealer doc fee and etc. 8 year/100.000 miles on battery is transferable but I'm afraid in 1 year I will hit that 100.000 miles mark and be out of warranty. I know that original battery is $15K. Do you know how much is battery from 3rd parties if any? I couldn't find anything.
Not sure this is useful, but my husband is still driving his 2013 Volt with the original battery and has seen little or no decline in charge capacity. It has about 80,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Lots of good advices, here.
There are undisclosed variables here, distance to your nearest public charger (from home and from work), your luck to find new home with charging capability, family, alternative vehicle within household etc. I also want to point out, that if you are in a mild climate and are willing to drive conservatively or even hypermile, your time required for charging will shrink. Those 160 miles that you may need on a weekend, I would need 35-40 kWh. This can be accomplished o/n if you get an adapter to your stock EVSE and charge at 240V.
Personally, I would go for it and play the game around it. Or, keep your old vehicle and the Bolt together, for time being.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello,

I'm really in love with a Bolt but I have something to share.
Right now I have 13 Camry with 125.000 miles on it and it looks like pretty soon I will have to deal with transmission. So I decided to change a car. Looking for a Plug-in Hybrid or EV. I really like the idea to drive an EV without changing filters, oil, to do engine tune-up and etc but I live in a condo right now (renting) and soon will be moving to another place. I'm thinking to get something with my personal parking spot with a garage or a driveway close to home so I can charge my future EV but I don't know about a time frame. I can move next month or in next 6 months.
I have enough public Level 2 chargers around my area (most of them are free) and couple DC Chargers. I have a full time job (10 miles round trip) but we don't have a charging station but I can talk to my boss and get a cord from our garage to my car but even if my boss say yes I will get Level 1 charger. After my full-time job I go to deliver food for several hours (about 60-80 miles total for a day with trip from and to home) and on weekends I do deliveries only and sometimes can drive up to 160 miles a day.
So, I don't have a home charger option (at least for now), have plenty of public chargers and a lot of driving. I really want to get a Bolt but still considering to get a Plug-in Hybrid like Honda Clarity so I can have a piece of mind when I have to keep going but my juice is almost gone.

Any suggestions? Thank you in advance.
I started in much the same situation. I could get a hi speed charge 8 miles away; and, since I get over 300 miles on a full charge, I would charge it up fully and live with the cost of those 16 miles. Then, I realized that the hi speed charger cost is double the cost per KWH once you hit about 65% of a full charge. They charge by the minute and it amounts to about .40 per KWH up to the 65% full point, then that rate doubles to .80 per kwh and it costs more to go electric than it does to use gasoline. So... I now run a no 10 extension cord and charge at home Level 1. I have found that there are so many chargers OOC, I no longer will take a chance on a long drive- plan to use rental ICE car. I have severe charger anxiety having had a very bad experience. the East Coast is very unreliable as far as hi speed chargers are concerned. That will change but we are in the early stages of going electric. I believe the government should install public charging stations.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I started in much the same situation. I could get a hi speed charge 8 miles away; and, since I get over 300 miles on a full charge, I would charge it up fully and live with the cost of those 16 miles. Then, I realized that the hi speed charger cost is double the cost per KWH once you hit about 65% of a full charge. They charge by the minute and it amounts to about .40 per KWH up to the 65% full point, then that rate doubles to .80 per kwh and it costs more to go electric than it does to use gasoline. So... I now run a no 10 extension cord and charge at home Level 1. I have found that there are so many chargers OOC, I no longer will take a chance on a long drive- plan to use rental ICE car. I have severe charger anxiety having had a very bad experience. the East Coast is very unreliable as far as hi speed chargers are concerned. That will change but we are in the early stages of going electric. I believe the government should install public charging stations.
In a previous post you told us about your experience with a ChargePoint charger in the DMV area. I asked about the other 50 or so DCFC units in a 20 mile radius of that faulty charger. I don't believe you ever answered why none of those units were an acceptable alternative to the faulty unit you tried to use. Care to explain?

ga2500ev

·
Banned
18 Posts
Thank you.

Just came from a local Chevy dealer that has a 2017 Bolt with 49700 miles on it. There are some scratches on plastic around door entrances and couple dents on the hood. They want $14700. My trade in is $7000 so I will finance $7700 plus taxes and fees. Test drove the vehicle. I did like it. Took a night to think. Want to ask them for $500 off and no any dealer doc fee and etc. 8 year/100.000 miles on battery is transferable but I'm afraid in 1 year I will hit that 100.000 miles mark and be out of warranty. I know that original battery is $15K. Do you know how much is battery from 3rd parties if any? I couldn't find anything.
Are you really serious about putting 50K on this vehicle in a years time? That seems very unlikely.

Price seems OK but nothing special. Your offer seems reasonable. Does this one have DC fast charging (DCFC)? It's an option so if you want it make sure it has it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Hello everybody!
It’s my 3rd with Bolt. Got one on Tuesday. 2017 Bolt LT 49000 miles for $14k. Trying to charge at work with Level 1 for now since my electrician is busy and get about 2 miles/he. Also charging at free public chargers but get only 12miles/hr although chargers are 6-6.6kWt. Had experience of getting fast charge 25kWt. Spend 50 minutes and got about 50 miles of range and paid $2.50. Overall I think I should wait until get either a home charger or plug at work. It’s pretty chilly outside to seat in the car and wait while it gets juice from public chargers. We have low 30 at night and low 40 day time right now.
Also coworkers already got jealous and one said he wants to talk to manager to get company’s credit card and get a gas for himself. I told that to my manager and we agreed I’ll be paying flat fee of $40/month just to keep that guy’s mouth shut :)

I really love the vehicle but range anxiety doesn’t let me fully enjoy it.
The first day my brother told me to never give him a ride in that car since he didn’t like it but yesterday I gave him a car to test drive and he felt in love with electric vehicle.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
$40 is about 370 kWh in my neck of the woods. Might get you 1,200 miles depending...

If you're getting more than 370 KwH I'd say you're ahead, less than that and you're behind.
if I keep driving like before I will get about 3-4K miles a month

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
if I keep driving like before I will get about 3-4K miles a month
At 120V, you are pulling up to 1.44kW (make sure you set the car to 12A, it defaults to 8A). Assuming you are plugged in for your work day, and assuming about 150 hours/month on average (40h work week, x4 weeks, reduced a little for holidays and vacations), you are getting about 216kWh/month from your employer.

At $40, that's $0.19/kWh. More than at home, but still far cheaper than gas.

It also means that you should expect to supplement with public charging.

·
Registered
7 Posts
In a previous post you told us about your experience with a ChargePoint charger in the DMV area. I asked about the other 50 or so DCFC units in a 20 mile radius of that faulty charger. I don't believe you ever answered why none of those units were an acceptable alternative to the faulty unit you tried to use. Care to explain?

ga2500ev
I was new to charging. At the failed charger, I was told that 10 miles North there was a charger at another of those stores. It was actually 15 miles and when I arrived and was told they thought the charger had been removed. I had only one program installed to find chargers. I went to a Chevy dealer and they had a low speed charger from which he gave me some charge. He had no knowledge of any chargers other than the one that had been removed. My problem was that I depended on the faulty charger. If there were 50 DCFC chargers within 20 miles, they did not show up on my program. When you are down to 30 miles of charge left, you cannot go looking for a charger that may be OOC. You have to find a way to get back home. Perhaps you could give us some instruction on where these 50 DCFC chargers are. They do not show up on my Plugshare. I go North frequently and I would like to know how to do it.

·
Registered
4,622 Posts
At 120V, you are pulling up to 1.44kW (make sure you set the car to 12A, it defaults to 8A). Assuming you are plugged in for your work day, and assuming about 150 hours/month on average (40h work week, x4 weeks, reduced a little for holidays and vacations), you are getting about 216kWh/month from your employer.

At $40, that's $0.19/kWh. More than at home, but still far cheaper than gas.

It also means that you should expect to supplement with public charging.
Seems that upgrade to L2 makes sense then.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I was new to charging. At the failed charger, I was told that 10 miles North there was a charger at another of those stores. It was actually 15 miles and when I arrived and was told they thought the charger had been removed. I had only one program installed to find chargers. I went to a Chevy dealer and they had a low speed charger from which he gave me some charge. He had no knowledge of any chargers other than the one that had been removed. My problem was that I depended on the faulty charger. If there were 50 DCFC chargers within 20 miles, they did not show up on my program. When you are down to 30 miles of charge left, you cannot go looking for a charger that may be OOC. You have to find a way to get back home. Perhaps you could give us some instruction on where these 50 DCFC chargers are. They do not show up on my Plugshare. I go North frequently and I would like to know how to do it.
Now I understand to a degree. I have my Plugshare shot of the area posted below. I can see a novice panicing with a low range warning and a flaky charging station. The two huge problems that I see from that perspective is that not all charging stations are the same, and that car dealers don't understand them and cannot explain.

Plugshare shows that both the Harley charger and the Ourisman Chevy chargers which are the two closest to Royal Farms are both 25 kW. Neither are a complete solution, but either could serve as a temporary regrouping point to figure out the next move. Electrify America stations are the current gold standard for 3 reasons:

1. They have the fastest charging stations.
2. Each site has multiple charging stations so it's unlikely to have complete site failure.
3. They are typically located somewhere useful (Walmart, Target)

The closest EA station is in Alexandria across the river at about 15 mile from the 2 25 kW stations. Your 30 miles of range was enough to get there. But even if you spend a 20-30 minutes at the Harley or Chevy dealer it would have given you enough juice to make it.

Plugshare is most helpful when you use the auxiliary information for each station: how fast does it charge, when was it last used, have there been any failed check-ins. Honestly I probably would have trusted Royal Farms because it hasn't shown a failed check-in since May of last year.

I'm just pointing out to a seasoned EV veteran, the map below looks like presents under the Christmas tree, and not a disaster waiting to happen.

One last thought. Plugshare has a filter for charging speed. I suggest starting with a narrow search (like 100kW or higher) to get the stations that will charge the fastest. If there are none in the area, then drop it down to 50 kW, then only if there's nothing there look for the 25 kW stations.

ga2500ev

·
Banned
18 Posts
Hello everybody!
It’s my 3rd with Bolt. Got one on Tuesday. 2017 Bolt LT 49000 miles for $14k. Trying to charge at work with Level 1 for now since my electrician is busy and get about 2 miles/he. Also charging at free public chargers but get only 12miles/hr although chargers are 6-6.6kWt. Had experience of getting fast charge 25kWt. Spend 50 minutes and got about 50 miles of range and paid $2.50. Overall I think I should wait until get either a home charger or plug at work. It’s pretty chilly outside to seat in the car and wait while it gets juice from public chargers. We have low 30 at night and low 40 day time right now.
Also coworkers already got jealous and one said he wants to talk to manager to get company’s credit card and get a gas for himself. I told that to my manager and we agreed I’ll be paying flat fee of $40/month just to keep that guy’s mouth shut :)

I really love the vehicle but range anxiety doesn’t let me fully enjoy it.
The first day my brother told me to never give him a ride in that car since he didn’t like it but yesterday I gave him a car to test drive and he felt in love with electric vehicle.
Congratulations and right in line with what you wanted for the deal.

As for range anxiety that will diminish with time as you become more familiar with your driving habits and charging options.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Somebody told me I can use stock charger that comes with Bolt with a 240 Volt outlet with an adapter but I took a look at charger and it only says 120V 12A. That’s it. Usually if it works with different voltage is says something like 110-240V.

·
Banned
18 Posts
Now I understand to a degree. I have my Plugshare shot of the area posted below. I can see a novice panicing with a low range warning and a flaky charging station. The two huge problems that I see from that perspective is that not all charging stations are the same, and that car dealers don't understand them and cannot explain.

Plugshare shows that both the Harley charger and the Ourisman Chevy chargers which are the two closest to Royal Farms are both 25 kW. Neither are a complete solution, but either could serve as a temporary regrouping point to figure out the next move. Electrify America stations are the current gold standard for 3 reasons:

1. They have the fastest charging stations.
2. Each site has multiple charging stations so it's unlikely to have complete site failure.
3. They are typically located somewhere useful (Walmart, Target)

The closest EA station is in Alexandria across the river at about 15 mile from the 2 25 kW stations. Your 30 miles of range was enough to get there. But even if you spend a 20-30 minutes at the Harley or Chevy dealer it would have given you enough juice to make it.

Plugshare is most helpful when you use the auxiliary information for each station: how fast does it charge, when was it last used, have there been any failed check-ins. Honestly I probably would have trusted Royal Farms because it hasn't shown a failed check-in since May of last year.

I'm just pointing out to a seasoned EV veteran, the map below looks like presents under the Christmas tree, and not a disaster waiting to happen.

One last thought. Plugshare has a filter for charging speed. I suggest starting with a narrow search (like 100kW or higher) to get the stations that will charge the fastest. If there are none in the area, then drop it down to 50 kW, then only if there's nothing there look for the 25 kW stations.

View attachment 32833
ga2500ev
This post illustrates a significant problem with EV vehicles and their acceptance with the general public. Until public charging is readily available, easy to find, and reliable buyers are going to shy away. To a seasoned EV veteran this may have been easy but to many people apparently it is not. It all may be an education / perception thing but perception is important to advancing the general public on adopting EV vehicles.

·
Banned
18 Posts
Somebody told me I can use stock charger that comes with Bolt with a 240 Volt outlet with an adapter but I took a look at charger and it only says 120V 12A. That’s it. Usually if it works with different voltage is says something like 110-240V.
I think it needs to be modified to use 240 volts. As such I just purchased a 240 volt ClipperCreek Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment (EVSE) unit. Note this are not chargers but a means to interface the power outlet to the charger which is located inside the vehicle.

·
998 Posts
I think it needs to be modified to use 240 volts.
No mod necessary to the EVSE itself, just an adapter to plug in to 240V. The 2016 and later Volt\Bolt EVSE is dual voltage capable by default, and is made by Clipper Creek. It is included with Bolts sold in 240V standard countries (Korea, EU - Ampera-e). The key is to route two hot leads to the pins for hot\neutral on the 5-15 plug, and of course sound. If the 240V circuit has a neutral wire, cap it off, not needed.

21 - 40 of 103 Posts