Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
  • Hey Guest, welcome to ChevyBolt.org. We encourage you to register to engage in conversations about your Bolt.

Living in a condo (no home charger) and working as a delivery driver. Is it a good idea to get a Bolt?

11K views 102 replies 23 participants last post by  nokianich 
#1 ·
Hello,

I'm really in love with a Bolt but I have something to share.
Right now I have 13 Camry with 125.000 miles on it and it looks like pretty soon I will have to deal with transmission. So I decided to change a car. Looking for a Plug-in Hybrid or EV. I really like the idea to drive an EV without changing filters, oil, to do engine tune-up and etc but I live in a condo right now (renting) and soon will be moving to another place. I'm thinking to get something with my personal parking spot with a garage or a driveway close to home so I can charge my future EV but I don't know about a time frame. I can move next month or in next 6 months.
I have enough public Level 2 chargers around my area (most of them are free) and couple DC Chargers. I have a full time job (10 miles round trip) but we don't have a charging station but I can talk to my boss and get a cord from our garage to my car but even if my boss say yes I will get Level 1 charger. After my full-time job I go to deliver food for several hours (about 60-80 miles total for a day with trip from and to home) and on weekends I do deliveries only and sometimes can drive up to 160 miles a day.
So, I don't have a home charger option (at least for now), have plenty of public chargers and a lot of driving. I really want to get a Bolt but still considering to get a Plug-in Hybrid like Honda Clarity so I can have a piece of mind when I have to keep going but my juice is almost gone.

Any suggestions? Thank you in advance.

See less See more
#2 ·
Any suggestions?
Welcome to the forum. You might wait until after your move. Or you could do what I did, get the car and then figure out how to charge it. I started with the level 1 until I installed a 240V outlet. Turns out the level 1 charge cord that came with the Bolt will work on 240V with a simple adapter. That's as far as I got. Over three years using the one that came with the car on 240V.

#3 ·
160 miles in a day could be around 40-50 kWh. Recharging time:

L1, 120V, 8A, 0.96 kW: 42-52 hours
L1, 120V, 12A, 1.44 kW: 28-35 hours
L2, 240V, 12A, 2.88 kW: 14-17 hours
L2, 240V, 30A, 7.2 kW: 6-7 hours

DCFC could be up to about 50 kW, but the car reduces charging speed in the upper half of the state-of-charge, so it will take longer than 1 hour to add 50 kWh. But also note that many DCFC stations are slower (including some labeled as "50 kW" which are only 100A and will deliver under 40 kW to the Bolt whose battery tops out at around 400V).

#4 ·
Clearly, the most convenient method is home charging, if your next place will offer that option, a few months of using free L2 may not be so bad.

If you are in a mild climate area, 200+ mile range on a nearly full charge will be possible. L1 charging at work + L2 at public chargers near your home would keep you in good shape. Occasional L3 charges might be necessary.

One of the real benefits of an EV for high mileage is the cost savings add up quick. With free charging and virtually no maintenance, your upside may be worth the hassles short term.

Reactions: wonderbolt
#6 ·
Of those public L2 stations, are any within walking distance of your apartment, and would you feel safe/comfortable regularly parking a car there overnight? If the answer is yes to both, then you might consider overnight charging once or twice a week. Same goes for walking distance to your day job. If you are using public L2, plan to leave the car there for a few hours at a time. It's not something you can just stop by and use after work like you may with a gas station.

What is co-located with those DCFCs? For example, in the Northeast, EVgo has partnered with Hannaford (grocery chain). So you could do your weekly grocery shopping there while your car charges. If not that, do they at least have something you can (and want to) do for an hour once or twice a week?

#11 ·
He drives 60 to 80 miles a day during the work week and 160+ miles a day on weekends, overnight L2 charging or DCFC charging a couple times a week will not cut it.

To the OP:

If you can work out some "at work" charging, you could go ahead and get the Bolt now, but personally, I would hold on to your old car until you move to a place where you can have "at home" charging.

Keith

#7 ·
I think I'd suck it up for a month (until you move) and charge at public L1 or DCFC. You'll get around 25-30 miles added if you charge at work (L1 for 8 hours) and then make up the rest of your needed range on public chargers. If your state of charge is low enough, you'll spend 30-45 min at a DCFC or 3-4 hours at L2. Find something to do during that time....read emails, pay bills, work, whatever.

#8 ·
One of the real benefits of an EV for high mileage is the cost savings add up quick.
Agree; if one is doing local delivery, a Bolt is probably the ideal vehicle.

You've done your math and using your own car for deliveries must be sufficiently profitable for you personally to continue the work. Possibly customers in your area tip better than most.

Over the years, I've had several acquaintances who tried working Uber/Lyft/DoorDash/Dominos, et al; sometimes all at once. After varying lengths of time, a robbery, an accident, additional insurance for commercial use of the car and just not enough profit, they all gave it up.

There's a reason the corporate greed-heads are pushing delivery out to individuals. It's just not profitable when all the costs and hours are taken into account. Your opinions and results may vary.

jack vines

#9 ·
Based on what you describe I believe that the Bolt could work for you. It will require more planning and being cognizant of your vehicle state of charge and limitations, however the extremely low cost of fuel and lack of maintenance is a huge advantage IMHO. Personally I would start a conversation with my boss to see if there are any 240V outlets that you could utilize and I would offer to pay for the electricity you use. As @XJ12 mentioned you can use the EVSE (Charge cord) supplied with the Bolt with 240V.

#10 ·
Good idea? Possibly, but it really depends.

Free L2 AC is nice, but time consuming. Public DCFC is nice (and will save time over L2 AC), but it is typically expensive and often a limited resource (i.e., you'll be competing with other EV owners). The main reason to own an EV is convenient charging at home or work. When I still had my Volt, I was living in an apartment without home or work charging, but I was able to secure a parking spot directly below my balcony. I was literally charging my car off the same outlet as my TV. Perhaps that's a possibility in your condo.

Still, you must understand that for 120 V, you will only recoup about 4 miles of charge per hour. For 240 V, it can be five to six times faster. For DC fast charging, you can add 50% of your battery in 30 to 40 minutes. So obviously, given how many miles you're driving, the best solution would be 240 V at home or work.

#12 ·
Here in NYC I had conversations with taxi drivers that manage their workflow with public chargers, free or otherwise, they all live in apartment buildings, Tim not sure how many miles they drive but 2 drove a Nissan Leaf and 2 of them drove Bolts, being taxis I’m guessing that they drive a ton of miles a day

#14 · (Edited)
thank you everybody! I really appreciate your effort! :)
I had a conversation with my manager at work today and he said he doesn't care if I charge my vehicle at work and even will allow me to get a 240 plug (we are a small manufacturer company) from our electric box if I pay for electrician to get a wiring. I know that he (electrician) will charge me couple hundred bucks but at least I can charge my vehicle at work for free as long as I work there

#17 ·
With the manager allowing 240 at work, make sure it is on a 40 amp breaker with appropriate sized wiring and you can do the majority of your charging at work with supplemental charging from free L2 as needed. With that in mind, get the plug installed at work, and purchase a 32 amp EVSE (wall mounted if manager says ok, otherwise portable) before selling your old car and getting the Bolt and you will be golden! I would still look for a new place to live where charging is possible so you can do without the public L2, but it is not urgent now with the manager being reasonable.

Keith

#25 ·
Lots of good advices, here.
There are undisclosed variables here, distance to your nearest public charger (from home and from work), your luck to find new home with charging capability, family, alternative vehicle within household etc. I also want to point out, that if you are in a mild climate and are willing to drive conservatively or even hypermile, your time required for charging will shrink. Those 160 miles that you may need on a weekend, I would need 35-40 kWh. This can be accomplished o/n if you get an adapter to your stock EVSE and charge at 240V.
Personally, I would go for it and play the game around it. Or, keep your old vehicle and the Bolt together, for time being.

#26 ·
I started in much the same situation. I could get a hi speed charge 8 miles away; and, since I get over 300 miles on a full charge, I would charge it up fully and live with the cost of those 16 miles. Then, I realized that the hi speed charger cost is double the cost per KWH once you hit about 65% of a full charge. They charge by the minute and it amounts to about .40 per KWH up to the 65% full point, then that rate doubles to .80 per kwh and it costs more to go electric than it does to use gasoline. So... I now run a no 10 extension cord and charge at home Level 1. I have found that there are so many chargers OOC, I no longer will take a chance on a long drive- plan to use rental ICE car. I have severe charger anxiety having had a very bad experience. the East Coast is very unreliable as far as hi speed chargers are concerned. That will change but we are in the early stages of going electric. I believe the government should install public charging stations.

#27 ·
In a previous post you told us about your experience with a ChargePoint charger in the DMV area. I asked about the other 50 or so DCFC units in a 20 mile radius of that faulty charger. I don't believe you ever answered why none of those units were an acceptable alternative to the faulty unit you tried to use. Care to explain?

ga2500ev

#29 · (Edited)
Hello everybody!
It’s my 3rd week with Bolt. Got one on Tuesday. 2017 Bolt LT 49000 miles for $14k. Trying to charge at work with Level 1 for now since my electrician is busy and I get about 2 miles/he. Also charging at free public chargers but get only 12miles/hr although chargers are 6-6.6kWt. Had experience of getting fast charge 25kWt. Spend 50 minutes and got about 50 miles of range and paid $2.50. Overall I think I should wait until get either a home charger or plug at work. It’s pretty chilly outside to seat in the car and wait while it gets juice from public chargers. We have low 30 at night and low 40 day time right now.

I really love the vehicle but range anxiety doesn’t let me fully enjoy it.
The first day my brother told me to never give him a ride in that car since he didn’t like it but yesterday I gave him a car to test drive and he felt in love with electric vehicle.

#36 ·
Hello everybody!
It’s my 3rd with Bolt. Got one on Tuesday. 2017 Bolt LT 49000 miles for $14k. Trying to charge at work with Level 1 for now since my electrician is busy and get about 2 miles/he. Also charging at free public chargers but get only 12miles/hr although chargers are 6-6.6kWt. Had experience of getting fast charge 25kWt. Spend 50 minutes and got about 50 miles of range and paid $2.50. Overall I think I should wait until get either a home charger or plug at work. It’s pretty chilly outside to seat in the car and wait while it gets juice from public chargers. We have low 30 at night and low 40 day time right now.
Also coworkers already got jealous and one said he wants to talk to manager to get company’s credit card and get a gas for himself. I told that to my manager and we agreed I’ll be paying flat fee of $40/month just to keep that guy’s mouth shut :)

I really love the vehicle but range anxiety doesn’t let me fully enjoy it.
The first day my brother told me to never give him a ride in that car since he didn’t like it but yesterday I gave him a car to test drive and he felt in love with electric vehicle.
Congratulations and right in line with what you wanted for the deal.

As for range anxiety that will diminish with time as you become more familiar with your driving habits and charging options.

#52 ·
@nokianich You have received correct info above regarding the 240V adapter for the stock BOLT EVSE that is labeled "120V". For further reading here is the post that started it all and here are some pictures of the internals

Although it has not yet been mentioned, for the record, I do NOT recommend cutting off the plug and replacing it as some posts/ others might suggest as the factory plug has a temperature sensor in it to detect overheating.

Congratulations on getting the Bolt! Enjoy...

#79 ·
My 2017 Bolt has an open battery recall. I was trying to find that Hill Top Reserve option but looks like I don’t have it at all in my Energy settings. So, I did make an appointment to cap it at 90% through a software update.
is it actually normal that I don’t have a Hill Top Reserve tab in settings? Tried to activate Location Based Charging thinking it will activate HTR with no luck

#88 ·
To the OP: I have a day job and Dash 2-3 hours/night. I've been using a 16A 240v EVSE overnight, which adds about 120 miles' range over 8 hours. If you get 20A or bigger 240v outlet at work, you're probably set for your weeknight driving. But if your work's "240v" is really 208v, then you probably need 30A or more.

BTW, for a while I was using an old 120v 20A dedicated circuit, which was converted to 240v. This didn't require pulling new wire; just re-using the existing wire for 240v, and changing the outlet and breaker to 240v.

For weekends, you probably would need to fast-charge. In my area, there's a network that sells an unlimited fast charging subscription for $30/mo., which is a good deal for any gig driver.

#89 ·
To the OP: I have a day job and Dash 2-3 hours/night. I've been using a 16A 240v EVSE overnight, which adds about 120 miles' range over 8 hours. If you get 20A or bigger 240v outlet at work, you're probably set for your weeknight driving. But if your work's "240v" is really 208v, then you probably need 30A or more.

BTW, for a while I was using an old 120v 20A dedicated circuit, which was converted to 240v. This didn't require pulling new wire; just re-using the existing wire for 240v, and changing the outlet and breaker to 240v.

For weekends, you probably would need to fast-charge. In my area, there's a network that sells an unlimited fast charging subscription for $30/mo., which is a good deal for any gig driver.
Thank you. I’ve found free DC Fast charger at Chevy dealership 15 mins away from my home :) they told me I can use it 24/7

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.