Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone with a load miser set up with the charging outlet and a gas top oven? Does the gas top igniter set off the load miser to cut power to the car?

Thanks

·
Registered
30 Posts
Show us a link to this load miser product. I don't understand the setup in your question.

I gather that you're considering a flame detection device that cuts power to an outlet?
If so, once the fire is started there's no point in pulling the plug.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Show us a link to this load miser product. I don't understand the setup in your question.

I gather that you're considering a flame detection device that cuts power to an outlet?
If so, once the fire is started there's no point in pulling the plug.

Here's a link to the load miser. Nothing to do with the fire. Just a device to share a 40amp outlet with my car charger and oven so I don't overload my breaker panel capacity (required by my strata (HOA)/ city permit). It makes it so that only the oven or the car charger gets power. So I'm trying to figure out if the gas stove igniter will draw enough power to shut off the car charging.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
2,299 Posts

Here's a link to the load miser. Nothing to do with the fire. Just a device to share a 40amp outlet with my car charger and oven so I don't overload my breaker panel capacity (required by my strata (HOA)/ city permit). It makes it so that only the oven or the car charger gets power. So I'm trying to figure out if the gas stove igniter will draw enough power to shut off the car charging.
I can't imagine that any power will route to both the stove / oven and the car simultaneously. It sounds like an on / off relay, not a device that shares power to multiple devices at the same time. Most people use a device like this with an electric clothes dryer. With a stove / oven, you'll have to keep resetting that flashing 12:00 on the clock.

Put another way, if using the igniter on the gas stove DOESN'T shut off the car charging, the igniter probably won't work because it won't get any power. Unless your gas stove has a battery-powered igniter (you would be replacing the batteries occasionally), in which case it wouldn't draw any power at all.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I think this will work for you. Here's why:

This unit is designed to sense the huge draw of an electric range and cut off the car charger. Your gas stove has a spark igniter that draws very little power, certainly less than the 2 amp threshold. In fact, the entire gas stove draws a irrelevant small amount of current to run the display and timer electronics. For that reason, you could charge the car AND use the gas stove at the same time.

Edit after reading simulpost from above- need to know if this DIVVEE gadget cuts off power to the stove when switch to accessory load. After rereading the DIVVEE: "When the range turns on, DIVVEE automatically shuts off the EV charger until the range stops operating, then turns the charger on again. ", I believe it would keep the stove energized at all times, and not even sense enough load to cut off the EVSE charging.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts