Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My local utility has a pilot program to provide a free charging station with installation. They've selected the Siemens charging station. It will be connected to the homeowners WiFi and report back directly to the utility. Their goal is to gather data on EV frequency and volume of use.

Anyone else have a similar program?

jack vines

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
I certainly haven't heard of such a program from my utility, BC Hydro, here in Vancouver Canada.

I'll bet a lot of people are going to read this and wonder who your power provider is so they'll know whether or not they can get in on the deal.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Actually you do for Roseville Electric they want the purchase receipt
Roseville (CA) has a neat thing if you install solar. Since they run a BUNCH of utilities in town (not just electric) if you have solar panels and produce more electricity than needed, they deduct from your TOTAL utility bill, not just electric. So if you 'over-size' your solar, you get reduction on garbage, etc (if/when you overproduce).

I know somebody who live in Roseville - he loves it! His solar is 'sized' to cover about 85-90% of his electric use *in winter*, and the rest of the year his other utilities are discounted. And he got the CA and Federal tax credit for the install.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Took a couple of months, but the electrical subcontractor made an appointment, came on schedule, installed a Siemens Versicharg SG with wireless network, programmed it and was gone in three hours. He indicated I would be billed $163. BTW, he uses a much less expensive 8/2WG wire than I would have expected. I had guesstimated the 60' of wiring at at least $200 and that spec wire is less than $1 a foot.

Seems to function as it should. The only detail I have to research is how to disable the e-mail function. As installed, Greenlots Network, http://greenlots.com/ the partner with our utility, sends me an e-mail every time the car is topped off, unplugged or otherwise doing nothing special.

The good news is it will provide an exact cost of charging the Bolt. Our most recent utility bill showed an increase year-over-year for electricity, but it was also five degrees warmer this year, which meant we used the home AC more. Henceforth, we'll know the charge cost per mile exactly.

jack vines

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
No such luck in WV. We don't even have ToU (Time of Use) billing! An incentive to charge at night (better for the grid, especially on a hot day) is of NO value to Appalachin Power (parent = American Electric Power)!

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
PGE had a similar pilot program, but it ended signups in April and I just missed it. They basically took the WIFI information from your charger and were treating it like a separate meter. You also got a refund, but only after you installed and were accepted into the program. I really wish I signed up for it...

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just got my invoice and total for an $800 Siemens charger, installation and materials, was $163.92.

jack vines

·
Registered
84 Posts
Out here in Southern Oregon, I spoke with a rep from Pacific Power. She said that Time of Day Meters are available and can be installed at no customer charge. Apparently there are Off-Peak periods during the day and depending on the time of year, however Off-Peak is active during the evening from 8 PM to 6 AM. And the Off-Peak rate is 8.9 cents per KWH, she said.
I requested a Time of Day meter, and one will be installed at my house within the next ten business days. Now I have to figure out how to program the Bolt to wake up and charge during the late evening hours.
FYI - here is the URL for Pacific Power: https://www.pacificpower.net/ev

1 - 14 of 14 Posts