Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't remember seeing location-based (home) charging in any of the specs released on the Bolt so far, but it's offered on the Volt, and it's one of the most popular features on that model, so I don't see why it wouldn't also be included on the Bolt. Especially considering the Bolt will be a bigger consumer of electricity than the Volt.

Also, if any of you are current Volt owners and have used this feature, is it dependent on the type of EVSE you have, or does it work with any EVSE? Thanks.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have been seeing this aftermarket product that is basically a mat that enables wireless charging.
Probably Plugless Power. Kia is working with Mojo Mobility on developing wireless charging for its EVs. I predict this will be the next big development in EV technology. I joke with my wife that she shouldn't get an EV, because if it's anything like she is with her phone, she forgets to plug it in, and uses it until it's at about 5% power. I told her, "I'm not going to come down and bail you out if you call me and say 'Honey, I forgot to plug the car in last night. I'm at the side of the freeway now!'" :p

·
Registered
639 Posts
I remember seeing a rendering of a wireless charging thing that acts like the mat we've seen for phones, chances are it's what we'll see for cars but it's more of a luxury to me and i'm thinking it will come at a price that reflects that.

·
Registered
263 Posts
On their site:
With the available 240-volt charging unit (professional installation required), charging your Bolt EV is as easy as plugging in your cell phone.
They better include free installation if we're putting down the extra money for a home charger.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm expecting to pay out-of-pocket to have a 14-50 outlet installed in my garage, and a main breaker panel upgrade (if necessary). No big deal to me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Related Question (pardon my ignorance): If I purchase the optional 240/DCFC port, can I still plug the 120 EVSE connector to it?

·
Registered
60 Posts
The standard connection is the J1772 connection that looks like this (level 1 and 2 chargers will have this)

and the DCFC just has two additional pins (CCS type DCFC will have this type connection)

·
Registered
862 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts