Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
  • Hey Guest, welcome to ChevyBolt.org. We encourage you to register to engage in conversations about your Bolt.

Locking the J1772 plug

13K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  GJETSON 
#1 ·
I think most people are using a luggage lock on the factory J plug, but luggage locks are generally not intended for outdoor use. What's the best outdoor lock?

#7 ·
GJETSON, I love your screen name. That is exactly who came to mind when I first drove my Bolt.

If the shackle mics at less than 5/32" then I guess it will fit. Is there any chance our chargers are different? Mine is a 2019 model.

PhilBo, I don't understand how the curved part of the shackle is passing through the hole. Surely your charger must be different?

#8 ·
GJETSON,

If the shackle mics at less than 5/32" then I guess it will fit. Is there any chance our chargers are different? Mine is a 2019 model.

PhilBo, I don't understand how the curved part of the shackle is passing through the hole. Surely your charger must be different?
He didn't pass the curved part through. He has it on the side that opens. If you want to pass it around the curve the hole needs to be a bit bigger. You don't even need a drill motor to enlarge the hole. The button is soft plastic. You could turn a drill bit between your fingers, and enlarge the hole in 30 seconds.

#12 ·
I agree. It is just a deterrent, not a prevention. I feel that most thieves don't know by the flashing dashboard lights when charging is over and no current is flowing. As EVs become more popular, copper thieves will become more of a problem for AC Level 1 EVSE users.

#21 ·
I have to admit, I’ve never put any thought into locking my charger. It just never occurred to me that anyone would want an L1 charger.
Our town, (4000), put in 6 L2 stations that are free for anyone to use, along with 4 outlets, with 20amp receptacles.
Last week, they painted 3 of the parking spots beside the 20A receptacles as EV only. They are parking 3 of the Towns Volts at these spots, to free up the L2 for those no need the faster charge. They are plugging in their Volts with the supplied L1 EVSE, & I see the EVSE is just plugged in to the post, & left there permanently. They just hang the cord on the post when not using it, & there is no form of security other than the Town Hall parking lot being lit up at night.

#23 ·
I would instead suggest (instead of putting 3000 lbs on the cable) taking a 12-inch-long piece of 2x4 lumber and using a routing tool or a table saw, cutting a notch slightly wider and deeper than the EVSE cable, placing the cable in the slot and then placing the 2x4 (slot side down) on the ground and parking the wheel on top of the 2x4. Thus, no pressure on the cable. Voilà !

#25 ·
I will point out that you are not putting 3000 pounds on the cable...more like 750 pounds. But most importantly you are, in theory, applying 38+ pounds per square inch. This would be on a smooth, flat surface. In the real world you could be laying the cable on a sharp piece of gravel, and cutting right through it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.