Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This past weekend, I took a trip from southern VA to north of Baltimore, MD and back. Total mileage was around 430 miles. I figured I would give a trip report for those who might be contemplating a long distance trip.

First leg of the journey was going from Chesterfield, VA to Rockville, MD to meet a friend for dinner on my way to B'more...about 150 miles. Rolled into Rockville with tons of range (forgot to note how much). One thing I did notice was that I was getting about 6 or more miles per Kwh for about 20 miles when dealing with stop and go traffic going into and out of the DC area (typical traffic). I did not have to use the heater on the way up so that helped as well. I hit the free DCFC at Ourisman Chevy in Rockville for about an hour to get back above 80% charge. I've used this station before and had no trouble with access or use of the fast charger any of the times I have been here before. The dealership has a nice waiting area to relax in while charging and some of the worst coffee I have had in a long time...but I guess you can't argue with free coffee...and charging. There was a Volt leaving as I pulled in and a used 2014 Spark getting charged on a Level 2 charger next to me.

The next leg took me from Rockville to Catonsville (suburb SW of Baltimore). The sun was down and the temperature dropped significantly so I needed to turn on the charge sucker...I mean, heater. The next morning, I continued on to Lutherville, MD (suburb north of Baltimore.) Rockville to Lutherville via Catonsville was another 60 miles. I planned to use the Level 2 chargers that were at a Mom's Organic Grocery to grab some charge while I did some shopping. After 50 minutes, I had only gotten about 7ish miles of range. Turns out the charges were only giving about 3 Kwh per hour which was not going to work for getting alot of charge. The MyChevy app was telling me I would be fully charged in 7 hours. I give kudos for Mom's having free EV chargers for years before many other stores got on board with EV charging, but 3 Kwh/hour isn't great for getting significant charge with a 60Kwh battery. There was a Tesla S parked in an EV spot at Mom's but wasn't even plugged in. So I checked Plugshare and found an EVgo charger about a mile away at a Walgreens. This was the first time in almost 10 months of EV ownership where I would pay for charge (not complaining. I have no problem paying for "fuel") Found the chargers behind the Walgreens off of an alley. Felt kind of weird parking in a secluded spot in an alley to get charge but whatever. I already had an EVgo account setup and a "charge card" they sent me to use at charging stations. Swiped the card, plugged in and away we go. Station was 50Kwh per hour so charging was quick. Got up to 93% charge in about 40 mins. Less than $10. Totally worth it to get a significant charge quickly. A Leaf stopped by but I think that the 2nd charging station was having issues because the driver spent 10 mins on the phone going back and forth between the car and charger before leaving without plugging in.

Next, I headed to White Marsh, MD (suburb NE of Baltimore) with some commuting around the hotel and letting family members taking turns driving the Bolt. Maybe another 30 miles puttering around. To top off the car for the almost 200 mile trip home, I plugged it into a free Level 2 charger at a MD Transit Authority Park and Ride by the hotel. 5 charging stations there with a Volt and Bolt plugged in when I arrived. Chargers were free but you needed a Chargepoint account to activate (which I have). I was happy to see that it was 8 Kwh per hour charging. I left the car while I went to breakfast with family and it was fully charged when I got back.

Final leg was 193 miles from White Marsh, MD back to Chesterfield via I-95. Temperature was in the 50s so I didn't need the heater. I got home with 76 miles of range left. If the Guess-O-Meter is correct, my total range would be 269 miles of range on a trip where 90% of the trip was at 65 MPH. 4.5 miles per Kwh which is pretty good for highway driving.

This was my second log distance trip in a Bolt and once I got over the initial charge anxiety on the first trip, I have found it is relatively easy to do a long distance trip with a little planning and extra time allocated for charging. In fact, I like having to stop to charge. It breaks up the drive and forces me to get out from behind the wheel and relax a little...instead of pushing through and not stopping like I tend to do.

Attachments

·
Registered
134 Posts
Wow! Nice trip. Thanks for the play-by-play and thanks for the tip about charging at Ourisman Chevy. I get down to DC quite a bit and hadn't known about them. My last trip there (yesterday) covered 233 miles round trip from WV with no charge necessary because of warm weather. Good to know about Ourisman for the cold times.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.