Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello...

I am looking forward to the Bolt's range. I drive 160 miles one way every weekend. It will be interesting if I can get a 110 charge to make it home on Sunday night. I might need to install a 240 Charger at the weekend house or use DC quick charge. Any thoughts from experienced owners.

Solera Outpost

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hello...

I am looking forward to the Bolt's range. I drive 160 miles one way every weekend. It will be interesting if I can get a 110 charge to make it home on Sunday night. I might need to install a 240 Charger at the weekend house or use DC quick charge. Any thoughts from experienced owners.

Solera Outpost
Solera... Do you have an electric dryer off a 240v service in the garage?

https://www.bsaelectronics.com/collections/dryer-buddys

Jeff

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
If you are there from Fri to Sun, you can easily fill-er-up @ 110 volts. I did this at my sister's, arriving with 40 miles of range "in the batts", and charging via a garage outlet. I charged at 12 amps. My sister plugged in her iron in the family room (did not know it shared a circuit with the garage) and popped the breaker. When she finished ironing, I began charging again. I had a full tank when I departed at noon on Sunday for my 365 mile trip home. The key is to drive more slowly and extend that range from 238 miles to over 250.

·
Registered
195 Posts
:)How are you charging at home? A level 2 EVSE is a wise investment, definitely for home use. Your might have a EVSE that you can take with you on weekends. My Leviton 40A plugs in. Looking long term, I'd suggest two 32A+ EVSEs, if not now, in the near future. Level 2 EVSEs aren't cost prohibitive. Enjoy your Bolt to the fullest.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Most of us cannot afford two Level 2 EVSE units. Some are running as much as $800-900, but most (like my $499 Siemens VersiCharge) are in the $500 range, and a couple of them cost less. If you buy a "plug in" (as opposed to hard-wired) unit, it can be taken with you when outlets are your only Level 2 option. Some sessions will not require you to stay with your EV/EVSE, but some will. When it is YOUR EVSE, you can set the "unplug alarm" (on the Bolt, not the EVSE). Some EVSE accept a locking device on the plug, but a bolt cutter can usually cut the size "pin" that it allows. Whenever I will need to charge away from home, it is a "planned" event, and not a "let's look on the map and find a nearby charging station" situation. That is EXTREMELY rare. Good luck planning and executing your long range excursions.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Most of us cannot afford two Level 2 EVSE units. Some are running as much as $800-900, but most (like my $499 Siemens VersiCharge) are in the $500 range, and a couple of them cost less. If you buy a "plug in" (as opposed to hard-wired) unit, it can be taken with you when outlets are your only Level 2 option. Some sessions will not require you to stay with your EV/EVSE, but some will. When it is YOUR EVSE, you can set the "unplug alarm" (on the Bolt, not the EVSE). Some EVSE accept a locking device on the plug, but a bolt cutter can usually cut the size "pin" that it allows. Whenever I will need to charge away from home, it is a "planned" event, and not a "let's look on the map and find a nearby charging station" situation. That is EXTREMELY rare. Good luck planning and executing your long range excursions.
How do you like the VersiCharge btw?

·
Registered
107 Posts
With the distance you are traveling you will be penny wise and pound foolish to not have a level 2 charger. A level 1 charger can take over 40 hours to charge you with the range you will need to make a return trip. This means no trips near your destination. What if an emergency arises at home? There you sit without sufficient range to return. With a level 2 you can be fully charged overnight in the worst case and more likely even sooner.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
There is such a think as a portable EVSE .. showing this one as an example. I have a similar one unit that travels with me, in case I need it. But don't buy one until the seller explicitly stated it's suitable for Bolts.

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Adjustable-Portable-Electric-Charging-Compatible/dp/B075V4JNYS/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1508367275&sr=1-1&keywords=portable+evse+32+amp[/ame]

·
Registered
739 Posts
Hello....I drive 160 miles one way every weekend. It will be interesting if I can get a 110 charge to make it home on Sunday night. I might need to install a 240 Charger at the weekend house or use DC quick charge. Any thoughts from experienced owners.
A DC fast charge will cost you more money than a home charger, because of all the fees associated with commercial chargers. I agree with the respondents that your best bet is a 240 volt charger of some type. I like the ChargePoint charger because it works with my Nest thermostat over my wireless network, although I am not all that satisfied with the quality of the information it provides.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
How do you like the VersiCharge btw?
I find the VersiCharge reliable, easy to use, and portable. It does not have WiFi controls or give you information, but the EV gives me all I need. It gives me a full 32 amps. It was easy to install. I hid the 240 v outlet behind the unit. Being frugal, but not a penny pincher, I liked the $499 price at Home Depot and installed it myself for only about $50 more. There are many good EVSE but I am happy with my VersiCharge.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts