Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning a 180 day road trip around the USA (I'm from Australia) and would love to do it in an EV. I'm tossing between either a Tesla Model S or a Chevy Bolt, so I thought I'd see if there's any opportunity to rent a Bolt instead of buying one?

Is there anyone offering to rent me a Chevy Bolt for 180 days and allow me to take it out of the state? (happy to return it from where I rented it from)

·
Registered
862 Posts
The CCS charging infrastructure is unlikely to support a road trip around the USA.

Go to plugshare.com and filter for CCS charging to see if your travels will have charging available.

The Tesla supercharging network will likely take you anywhere you want to go.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The CCS charging infrastructure is unlikely to support a road trip around the USA.

Go to plugshare.com and filter for CCS charging to see if your travels will have charging available.

The Tesla supercharging network will likely take you anywhere you want to go.
Fully aware of the charging situation :)

Just wanted to know if rental of a Chevy Bolt for ~180 days is possible, that's all.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm gonna say that'd be mighty difficult to find someone willing to rent their Bolt out for half a year. Is it even possible to rent a normal gas car that long at a car rental place?
Enterprise are happy to rent me a car for 180 days. Haven't looked elsewhere, but I assume it's not too uncommon.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Not too sure if any rental companies even have Bolts on their fleet yet but it's gonna be really tough to find something that will be willing to rent it out for that long I would think.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
It's more a question of rental car companies stocking up on the new Bolt. The Bolt roll out is still ongoing so some states don't even have them on sale yet. Best to look up the car rental stores around your landing area and give them an email about the Bolt's availability.

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
Enterprise are happy to rent me a car for 180 days. Haven't looked elsewhere, but I assume it's not too uncommon.
I thought most rental places had a 30 day max on rentals. I guess they also offer "long-term" rentals? Never rented a car for more than 28 days, so I'm out of the loop there.

Perhaps you can catch lightning in a bottle and find a Bolt owner that has to leave the country for a while and offers their Bolt up on Turo or something.

But even if you find a long-term Bolt rental, I'm really not sure you will be able to tour the country in it...unless you have EXTREME patience, as the CCS charging network is pretty sparse in the interior part of the country (coasts are fairly well covered though).

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
He's fully aware of the charging that the Bolt will need, but you'll be hard pressed to find one for rental. Last I heard, Lyft had an agreement for General Motors to have the Bolt in the ride-sharing fleet, but not much has been said since then.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I would be happy to rent my Bolt LT through Turo. PM me a message to work out a deal. The car largely sits unused at my vacation home in San Diego. I have a good universal charging cord too for road trips. Not sure what would be fair . . . maybe $15/day or $500/month?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts