Finally getting around to my review and comparison with the Mach-E. For background, I had over 100k miles between a 2017 and a 2019 Bolt Premier. Chevy bought back my 2019 earlier this year and I ended up getting a Mach-E Select standard range with the comfort/tech package in July. So as of today, I've had the MME for 4 months and over 11k miles on the exact same commute (130 miles/day - mostly interstate at 75ish mph).
Ultimately, I loved the Bolt. Other than the recall and the fact that I wanted more room for a stroller, I had no problems after 100k miles. I probably would've run it to the ground if the buyback wasn't too good to pass up ($22,500 for a $24,000 car with over 50k miles and needed new tires). I have no regrets with either car and the Bolt was/is the best value EV but the MME is bigger, faster, and can be parked indoors
. Anyways here's what I loved about the Bolt and what I wish it had compared to the MME.
Where the Bolt is better than the MME:
- Regen paddle. What I miss the most.
- Software. Probably the biggest complaint of the MME - it's slow and lags even though it's 4 years newer than the Bolt.
- Charge settings - priority charging and departure charging. On the MME, there's no option for priority and the car charges fully randomly about an hour before the departure time. If I plug in early, it'll charge to full even when I get home instead of waiting to charge overnight.
- The Bolt's lock horn is a nice chirp. On the MME it's full blast.
- HUD has better info: instant energy use, trending energy use.
- Size. The Bolt is compact and easier to park.
- Huge windshield.
- Visors. The MME visors don't fold all the way to the windshield and get blocked by the roof way before it should.
- Noise isolation. The first thing I noticed in the MME was the huge amount of wind noise compared to the Bolt. People new to the car ask me if the windows are open...
- Adjusting volume on the steering wheel shows up on the HUD.
Where the MME is better than the Bolt:
- Brake light stays on at stops with one pedal driving.
- Cupholders have four tabs that adjust to different sizes.
- GOM is a lot more accurate and a lot less confusing for people new to EVs (i.e. one number vs. high/low/expected range)
- 0-100 mph. The Bolt is great 0-60 but the MME feels great 0-100.
- Sunglass holder.
- Overall a more premium feel/fit/finish. Except for the turn signal and wiper stalks that feel like they're from the dollar store.
- Auto sensing wipers.
- BlueCruise option. Though lane centering alone is already pretty amazing and exponentially better than the Bolt's LKA.
- Size. Sooo much more cargo space.
- Aesthetics. I love staring at the hood lines inside and outside of the car. I had an early Bolt and drove it for 3.5 years - nobody looked twice. People stop and comment all the time with the MME.
- EDIT: drainable frunk and handsfree liftgate.
- And my favorite: the puddle lamp.
Now that I don't have the Bolt, I also have a bunch of stuff to get rid of: winter tires/rims, heatshield sunshade, and rubber mats. I'll post it in the classifieds for anyone interested.