Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are planning a 285 mile trip in the 2020 Bolt LT (with DC Fast). There are charging options along the way. What's your favorite app and how low do you typically get on charge before charging? Thanks!

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
We are planning a 285 mile trip in the 2020 Bolt LT (with DC Fast). There are charging options along the way. What's your favorite app and how low do you typically get on charge before charging? Thanks!
Use A Better Route Planner (ABRP) to plan the trip. Use plugshare app to make comments on charger. 10% is what I've used as a baseline for planning so the car charges the fastest. Have used energy assist in the mychevrolet app to decide when the car has charged enough. Energy assist will show the arrival state of charge at your next stop. You're only looking at stopping once, so shouldn't be a problem if things aren't optimized. Last year, my first trip was 876 miles in one day, so every minute counted.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's Interesting. ABRP suggests I charge in Sutherlin, while Plugshare and the Chevy App wait until Eugene. (going from Ashland to Portland)

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
475 Posts
That's Interesting. ABRP suggests I charge in Sutherlin, while Plugshare and the Chevy App wait until Eugene. (going from Ashland to Portland)
You can configure ABRP for your vehicle and preferences (speed, temp, departure SOC, etc.), if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You can configure ABRP for your vehicle and preferences (speed, temp, departure SOC, etc.), if that makes a difference.
I entered my vehicle in all three, but that's it. I'll play it by ear once we get going.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Use A Better Route Planner (ABRP) to plan the trip. Use plugshare app to make comments on charger. 10% is what I've used as a baseline for planning so the car charges the fastest. Have used energy assist in the mychevrolet app to decide when the car has charged enough. Energy assist will show the arrival state of charge at your next stop. You're only looking at stopping once, so shouldn't be a problem if things aren't optimized. Last year, my first trip was 876 miles in one day, so every minute counted.
without derailing the original poster's question too much ... how many hours did that take?

·
Registered
351 Posts
Here are my secrets. I have learned driving EV for last 10 years.
In your scenario use Android Auto ( if you have Android device with cable so you can have all information about SOC and predictions how far you can travel before pulling to the charger)
ABRP app ....plug share....and app of the Fast DC charging network you will be taking to see exactly status and pricing.....
Keep tires at 40-42 PSI try to stay around 65 MPH or less....
Always keep your own target where you feel comfortable before hitting your charger and have plan B if there is required to visit earlier other charger before reaching your charger. Always carry portable lv1 ot lv2charger ( and if possible one that can use various plugs and Amp settings).
Figure out how to calculate how much is 1% of charge in KWH or write them down on pace of paper.
If you have OBD2 you can see exactly what your watts are per mile instantaneous...or you can use onboard information display....but Android auto GM app is very accurate in prediction and how much left SOC you have....
Make sure you know weather conditions....wind tail less energy more efficient travel.
Rain
Facing wind
Increase bar of what you feel comfortable to 10% more before you need to hit the charger.
Become member for time of trip if choosing network is going to give you cheaper options.
Try to learn before hand how to use choosing via YouTube so you don't get in trouble how to start it without problems ( some require holding by hand heavy cable during the initiation to start charge).
And in worst case scenario lowering speed and sometimes taking side roads instead of interstate to make most efficient run to the next charger will save you from a lot of frustration and lost time.
And more you drive and learn how your EV doing you will be more confident in lowering your bar before hitting next charger.
With my experience I have no problem running down to 5% or less. But running this way you need to have full confidence and know how your EV behave at low state of charge ( some EV could go to limp mode even if there is 7-10% left on the pack.

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
475 Posts
I entered my vehicle in all three, but that's it. I'll play it by ear once we get going.
Also, download the apps for the charging networks you'll use (EVgo, Chargepoint,,EA, etc.), and set up your accounts in advance. Some of the stations can be finicky with their touchscreens and card readers, so using their app to initiate the charge might be necessary. Wouldn't hurt to test the fast charging process if you have a CCS near you.

Supposedly, the MyChevrolet app is working on integrated payment with multiple networks, so you could try that as well.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Drive down to 10% before charging, and stop charging at about 60%, unless you align charging with meal.

75kw charger min.

It may be better money-wise to have $/kwh than $/min.

I drive no faster than 63 mph, unless I'm impeding traffic.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
351 Posts
Also, download the apps for the charging networks you'll use (EVgo, Chargepoint,,EA, etc.), and set up your accounts in advance. Some of the stations can be finicky with their touchscreens and card readers, so using their app to initiate the charge might be necessary. Wouldn't hurt to test the fast charging process if you have a CCS near you.

Supposedly, the MyChevrolet app is working on integrated payment with multiple networks, so you could try that as well.
I wish they make it reality....but having app for
@EV Engineering that level of planning sounds more like a mission to Mars than a road tip.

ga2500ev
It sure is. If I go back one decade ago...
I use to have bunch of notes and GPS stand alone navigation.... But once New owner becomes more comfortable and experienced it will be easy.
Lol I was on the edge of ever owning EV again but I guess I'm hard headed and I don't give up.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here are my secrets. I have learned driving EV for last 10 years.
In your scenario use Android Auto ( if you have Android device with cable so you can have all information about SOC and predictions how far you can travel before pulling to the charger)
ABRP app ....plug share....and app of the Fast DC charging network you will be taking to see exactly status and pricing.....
Keep tires at 40-42 PSI try to stay around 65 MPH or less....
Always keep your own target where you feel comfortable before hitting your charger and have plan B if there is required to visit earlier other charger before reaching your charger. Always carry portable lv1 ot lv2charger ( and if possible one that can use various plugs and Amp settings).
Figure out how to calculate how much is 1% of charge in KWH or write them down on pace of paper.
If you have OBD2 you can see exactly what your watts are per mile instantaneous...or you can use onboard information display....but Android auto GM app is very accurate in prediction and how much left SOC you have....
Make sure you know weather conditions....wind tail less energy more efficient travel.
Rain
Facing wind
Increase bar of what you feel comfortable to 10% more before you need to hit the charger.
Become member for time of trip if choosing network is going to give you cheaper options.
Try to learn before hand how to use choosing via YouTube so you don't get in trouble how to start it without problems ( some require holding by hand heavy cable during the initiation to start charge).
And in worst case scenario lowering speed and sometimes taking side roads instead of interstate to make most efficient run to the next charger will save you from a lot of frustration and lost time.
And more you drive and learn how your EV doing you will be more confident in lowering your bar before hitting next charger.
With my experience I have no problem running down to 5% or less. But running this way you need to have full confidence and know how your EV behave at low state of charge ( some EV could go to limp mode even if there is 7-10% left on the pack.
I‘m an Apple guy. 😬

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Is the best way to plan via a web browser? The apps are so crowded with info to investigate a route.

·
1,627 Posts
First, a 285 mile trip is just out of range for a 100% starting State of Charge. You should only need one stop along the way, somewhere around 200 miles into the trip. If you will have passengers who might resist taking the Bolt on longer journeys, you want to put them at ease by not overthinking the trip. If you can, plan a meal, shopping, or some other activity while you charge to get passenger's minds off the task. Charging should seem incidental for a trip like this, activities will divert your passengers attention away from an EV trip being a big deal.

Bolt's DC charging curve means the fastest charging will be roughly from 0-50%, so wait to stop til SOC is lower, 10-20% for example. On relatively flat terrain, expect efficiency of low 3 mi/kWh at 75MPH, approaching 4 mi/kWh at 60-65MPH. Use the trip meter to gauge things, divide miles to the next stop by efficiency to figure how many kWh you can expect to consume (ex: 100 miles / 3.5 mi/kWh = ~29 kWh or 40-45% of the pack capacity).

Be aware of DC charging sites along the route, Plugshare is a great app (or website) for this. If you get worried about reaching a DC charger, slow down a bit, 60-65 MPH is significantly more efficient than 75MPH. Focus on sites with higher ratings (scale 1-10 in Plugshare), and be aware of the status of sites (Plugshare shows if plugs are in use or out of order). If you can, pick sites with 100+ kW plugs.

Have a backup plan, sites occasionally run into issues and you don't want to put yourself in a stressful situation. If you plan the first stop at around 175 miles and have to push on, know where the next viable stop is.

ABRPis a great tool and becomes more critical for longer trips with multiple charge stops in a day. It may be overkill for a one-stop trip.

·
Registered
2020 Bolt Premier
105 Posts
If you want to be super confident, there is a free level 2 charge point at Creekside Park in Myrtle Creek. 45 minutes there would get you to the EA chargers at Springfield with no worries.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Best tip I can give is to not use cruise control. Your brain can do better mi/kwh. Rule #1: Do not maintain speed going up hills. Hold your foot position constant and get in the right lane. CC will hold speed constant...and EAT Kwh. Coasting is a good thing! If the hill decline isn't enough to keep your speed with foot off the pedal, give it enough to keep the regen at near zero. #2: Do follow Better route planner suggestions about charge levels etc. The Bolt charges MUCH faster in the lower charge level range. Going from 65% to 100% takes a long time. #3: Use the seat heaters and steering wheel heaters, not the cabin heater. AC takes much less power. #4: Do the speed limit or less. Over 65mph, most of the energy used is to push air out of the way. You'll more likely survive a roll-over crash at a lower speed too...and the Bolt is a bit twitchy at high speeds.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I drove my new 2021 Bolt home from the dealer in MO. at exactly this range. I did one stop at a WalMart for 25 min...piece of cake!

·
Registered
20 Bolt LT
101 Posts
The single biggest thing I am still learning is resisting the urge to "fill up". If you're in an area where there are a number of DCFC's along you route, you're much better off running in that 10%-65%ish range rather than waiting for it to charge to 100% or even 80%.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts