Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you want to be super confident, there is a free level 2 charge point at Creekside Park in Myrtle Creek. 45 minutes there would get you to the EA chargers at Springfield with no worries.
There's a level 2 (free) charging station in Roseburg at the library too. And there is a fast charger a couple of miles away at Fred Meyers in Roseburg.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Today was my second use of EA, and it worked flawlessly. We've now stopped for the night, and at the Carl's Jr. next door there is a free Chargepoint DCFC.

I feel better...

·
Registered
223 Posts
I'll throw my two pennies into the discussion. We completed a 1500 mile road trip in our Bolt. I still have to edit that video and upload it to youtube. Our trip took us on the infamous Buffalo to Albany stretch where people used to be left stranded constantly due to EA's severe reliability issues. They have recently upgraded all of the troublesome chargers. Due to the charger being down at the Syracuse, NY travel plaza, it forced us to charger hop across NY state. All of the upgraded chargers worked flawlessly. Our entire trip had us stopping at EA chargers along the loop we travelled. Only the very last charge stop made us move one time due to the unit failing to initialize. I'd call this a substantial improvement in the EA network. I feel a lot better about traveling long distance, especially in areas where EA is the only choice.

As for an answer to the OP. As has been suggested, ABRP and plugshare are your friends for travel. My personal method is to sit down on my PC, plan my route using ABRP and then looking up the locations on plugshare to see if they're troublesome or not. I then roll over to Google. and insert the route start to finish, using charge stops as waypoints. A long day for me is about 700 miles. I also look for hotels with EV charging and reserve rooms at hotels that offer it. It seems to work pretty good for me.

I also recommend getting a Tesla to J-1772 adapter as it'll allow you to use Tesla destination chargers at those hotels if that's all they have. I'm also considering getting a J-1772 extension to allow us to get access to ICEd chargers at said hotels if we come across this issue.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Second free fast charging at a CalTrans yard, no problems...maybe just seeking free is the way to go.

·
Registered
4,398 Posts
Second free fast charging at a CalTrans yard, no problems...maybe just seeking free is the way to go.
Free DCFC will cause people to prefer and use the EV more. This may actually serve a common good.
  • More EV is better for the local environment / reduce pollution.
  • More EV miles is good for environmental ROI on EV as it appears EV owners drive less than ICE owners.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Well we made the round trip without a hitch! DCFC in Eugene with a Chipotle bowl on the way up and in Sutherlin with DQ chicken tenders on the way home. Free L2 charging in the hotel parking lot! Thanks for all the tips!

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
That's Interesting. ABRP suggests I charge in Sutherlin, while Plugshare and the Chevy App wait until Eugene. (going from Ashland to Portland)
Hi Eyemgh.
I'm a Bolt owner also resident in Ashland, and for that matter also likely to at some point make the drive to Portland.
Want to touch base locally... Chat Bolt routes, local chargers, etc?
If so send me a private message with phone or email.

Alex

61 - 68 of 68 Posts