Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
When you leave the car in neutral and running you get a growling noise coming from under the hood I think it does this when it's in Gear 2 I'm wondering if this would damage the car if you left it running for say 8 hours anybody know what this noise is sounds like motor cogging noise to me

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
anybody know what this noise is
pedestrian alert system

edit: the manual has it defined as "Pedestrian Safety Signal"
The vehicle is equipped with automatic sound generation. The automatic sound is generated to indicate the vehicle presence to pedestrians. The sound changes if the vehicle is speeding up or slowing down. It is activated when the vehicle is shifted into a forward gear or R (Reverse), up to 23km/h (14mph).

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm aware this has been discussed a good bit on this forum with a number of you DIY'ing this project.However no one posted step by step instructions or youtube videos ( I might have to do that) I have purchased the following items but unsure where to begin the project....thinking I may be missing some key items?

GoWISE Power PS1004 3000W Continuous 6000W Surge Peak Power Pure Sine Wave Inverter with Starter Cables and 4 Output Sockets
EWCS 6 Gauge Premium Extra Flexible Welding Cable 600 Volt - Combo Pack - 10 Feet Each Black+Red - Made in the USA
HYCLAT Red 50A 6-10 Gauge Battery Cable Quick Connect Disconnect Plug Wire Harness Plug Connector Recovery Winch Trailer (4 Pack)

Thinking I still need a 50amp fuse, anything else? Also unsure if maybe 3000W might be overkill and should I go with 1k or 2k watt inverter? Does anyone have photos of how they set this up on their Bolt?
I suggest you rethink the path you are on and look at dcbell by Ossiaco. Power your whole house if you have string inverters and tie them to debell. EV charger and DC inverter in one box. Integrated transfer switch. Micro grid. Discharge EV to house when rates are high, such as San Diego from 4pm to 9pm = 57 cents per kWh.

·
Registered
196 Posts
That's interesting indeed. I put in a reservation anyway. Thanks. About $7k installation+$7 /month subscription. Not too bad, but still expensive for feature that we only need very occasionally. True one can use it to avoid the super peak, but it is quite a bit of trouble to save a few dollars a day. It probably will take 10 years to break even the way we use electricity.

For now I have 12V inverter. Total cost is no more than $200 with no subscription. Not enough for backing up the whole house, but enough to provide basic need for emergency. We also have a volt, whose gasoline engine can be put to use if needed.

We don't need DCFC at home either. But I believe that's the only way to access the main battery directly.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I suggest you rethink the path you are on and look at dcbell by Ossiaco. Power your whole house if you have string inverters and tie them to debell. EV charger and DC inverter in one box. Integrated transfer switch. Micro grid. Discharge EV to house when rates are high, such as San Diego from 4pm to 9pm = 57 cents per kWh.
This is really cool thank you for sharing. Unfortunately I live in an apartment and trying to convince my landlord that this would be a good investment probably would not fly.

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
Charles, see that you've only posted once here. I'm thinking of putting in solar this year and reserving the dcbell. I thought the dcbell is the inverter and you string the panels to it. And how many panels can it support? 10kW?

21 - 26 of 26 Posts