·
Registered
928 Posts
Jack, I've also had a car 35f/65r... Not quite as civil as the Honda was. :p

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I will not quote each response as the post would be come too messy.
I see that the towing discussion got a little heated. That's good.

Thanks @cwerdna; for BMW i3 comments. I did not know it had so many reliability issues.

As for the trailer and towing.

Well, from my engineering stand point of view.
Before I dive in there - I looked up Opel Ampera-e for towing specs and I could not find any mention of it. It did not seem it was forbidden, but I could not find any number supporting towing capabilities. So no input from European market.
Going back now.
Try to follow my twisted thinking.
Chevrolet offers a hitch that is designed as a bike rack only. However, it advises against towing. It is a tad weird to me.
Bike racks are different. One can be a short one, one bike only. Some other could be extending easily 3 feet out and carry 4 bikes. When you calculate forces on the hitch from the leverage 3 bikes (each easily 25 pounds: one can have 60 pound Mongoose fat tire or road bike at 15 lb... so you pick) you can have way over 150 lb on the hitch. Assuming each bike is spread by 12 inches apart and 12 inches of the hitch. Only for simplicity.
Making heavier bikes - you get more dead weight.

150 lb on the ball makes it roughly 750 to 1500 lb trailer with 20 to 10% weight on the ball (respectively).
Forces pushing on the hitch would be same (actually bikes would be worse as they are dead weight which will pull harder due to not being supported on wheels and having possibly weigh transfer when going over bumps). But just say they are same.

Different story is the 1500 lb that you must pull so other forces will be on the hitch.
Does it then mean that the frame cannot take it? Maybe, but I doubt it.

I think they are more concerned about motor overheating and drivers abuse.
I bet brakes will not suffer as along with regenerative braking you will get friction brakes, which are (by default) designed to stop the car as if no other forces were present (meaning no regen).

I tow with 500e.
Max I pulled was maybe 1000 lb load, trailer itself about 250-300 lb. Sure, it was noticeable and I was going slower, yet the car did not seem to care at all.
I do not tow on regular basis. Maybe 3-7 times a year. And on a short distance, meaning no more than 20 miles one way.

Do not get me wrong.
I did not expect Bolt to tow 2500 lb for 200 miles at 75 mph on a highway... that would be crazy. For such things we have Q5 with 2 inch hitch.

I bet I will use it to tow.
Liability... yeah... you can sue anyone for anything. One would have to be very knowledgeable to actually realise Chevy does not advise towing with Bolt. And then someone would actually have to fall for this story that the other driver running red light is not at fault and that the trailer would not disconnect very same way if it was attached to a Tahoe...

But first I must get Bolt :)

On this note - thanks for comments on Premier vs LT. That was my thinking as well. Just the mirror turn signals are nice in Premier. Maybe the rear heated seats and arm rest.

I am still looking for great deal on a new one or used to drop in price.

Any advise on extended warranty?

Reactions: hatchy

·
Registered
2017 Bolt Premier
188 Posts
I gotta believe going to the Bolt is an upgrade. Faster, bigger, much better range and even Fiat doesn’t care for the 500e — Chevy at least gives off the impression they like the Bolt, despite few OTAs, no advertising, etc.

·
Registered
167 Posts
The Bolt is a great car. Lowest cost 200+ mile EV on the market. I started driving all electric in 2012 and the 200+ mile range is a game changer. With the smaller battery pack cars with less then 100 miles range, range anxiety is a real issue, especially in the winter (as you already know). Make sure you get a version with the "comfort and convenience" package with the heated seats and heated steering wheel and also the DCFC port option. This allows you to add about 100 miles/hr of charge on a trip that exceeds the range and use less cabin heat in the winter. If nothing else the DCFC port should add some resale value as many people will not buy a car without it, so better to have the option IMHO.
I agree and have heard the I3 is not as reliable as the Bolt plus if you have the range extender, it is like a sewing machine running in the back and the performance drops by half, taking 12 seconds 0-60MPH when on the range extender.
The bolt has 200HP so you can tow whatever you need at the loss of range for the extra load, but should be fine for short trips towing things. Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt Premier
188 Posts
I agree and have heard the I3 is not as reliable as the Bolt plus if you have the range extender, it is like a sewing machine running in the back and the performance drops by half, taking 12 seconds 0-60MPH when on the range extender.
Of all the EVs I was considering, the I3 was almost out from the get-go. Low range, the REX doesn't offer much and at that point, I'd almost rather for PHEV, and the price point for a new one seemed ridiculous. And the small backseat when I have kids basically DQs it. Suicide doors though are awesome.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I thought I owe you an update...

So... and I personally hate beginning a sentence with "so".... sooo I did it.

I finally arrived at relatively good price for me on a 2019 white LT. Kind of new. Details below.
It has fast charging, convenience package and both levels of confidence. In addition I think it is coming with all weather mats.
It was driven for 3'100 miles and in service since 24-Sep-2019 (loaner car).
From the pictures and inspection - seems to be clean in/out and it pristine condition. Basically one could say almost a brand new car.

All in all - 26'500 OTD, shipped, from FL to MI.
I cannot claim the IRS credit, but I could get the Costco card (700) what ultimately would be making the price at $25'800.

Should be arriving in the week of Jan 20th.

·
Registered
245 Posts
You're going to love back seats*. and doors and fast charging, and road trips. Also, stop worrying about all the naysayers with the towing. People tow with the Yaris. And the Smart - That's terrifying. No, really, it's insane. The bolt is 200 hp, HEAVY, has nice disc brakes on all four, plus regen to keep them from overheating on long downhills. The OEM bolt trailer hitches are 1 1/4" crap. People say the bike rack bounces all over the place. The 2" hitches bolt in with 8 fasteners, directly to the bumper mounts, no stupid, lame U-bolts, etc like other aftermarket hitches. You do have to saw a hole in the underside of the bumper, but who cares? The electrical for the lights will be an adventure, and one that I'll be attempting this spring. Let me know how it goes.

As for snow, I grew up driving in Maine, every awful derelict car you've ever seen - The Bolt is fine in the snow. With proper snow tires it would be better than fine. Chains? Not so much. Too tight in the wheel wells. With the Bolt, the weirdest thing was to get used to actual real, working traction control. I had to turn it off to do stupid things!

Get the bolt, get a good deal, and don't look back. It's a fabulous car, and the heated seat and steering wheel options are awesome, as is pre-conditioning on those frozen up mornings. The pleather seats hold up better than the cloth, nothing has gone wrong with mine, and I didn't get the warranty. Some people whine about the seats - I'm 6' and 190 lbs, I've sat in them all day with no problems.

Go live life and have a real adventure.

P

*real back seats

·
Registered
928 Posts
Congrad on the Bolt.

SOO.. ehehe. So personally I hate 2 door car back seats. Not because of space constraints, but the having to be constantly tilting the front seats out of the way every time you get in and out. I guess the 2 door cars "look sportier" or whatever, but who cares. I never got that part of it. My first few vehicles were 2 door.. never again though. ANYWAY I think that is reason enough to want to upgrade!

21 - 28 of 28 Posts