Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
  • Hey Guest, welcome to ChevyBolt.org. We encourage you to register to engage in conversations about your Bolt.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After nearly buying a used BMW i3 I started researching the Bolt and think it's the way to go... Need the range and 5 person seating.

· Registered
4,594 Posts
If you have carefully considered you must have the range and 5-person seating, then the Bolt is your answer.

There have been a couple of discussions here and over on the i3 forum comparing the two. Just sharing our experience; we were considering a lease-return i3 There were beautiful very low miles examples out there in the $18,000-$20,000 range and we loved driving the i3. However, we thought we needed the extra range of the Bolt; but after a year-and-a-half of real-world use, we'd have been covered by the i3's range and would have spent $10,000 less.

Cost aside, the Bolt is a better all-around BEV and does most everything better than the used i3.

jack vines

· Registered
31 Posts
Get both! Used 2014 i3 BEVs are stupid cheap.

All kidding aside, we have had an i3 REx for 2 years on a 3-year lease. It has been an absolute joy to own and drive, even if the stares and questions from random strangers can get a little annoying. We just added a new Bolt to the stable so that we can have an EV for reasonably long trips. The i3 will do it since it's a REx, but interstate speeds aren't great for that little generator and frequent stops to top off the 1.whatever gal tank are cumbersome. Still, for around-town driving, it's hard to beat. It's unlike driving any other car.

The Bolt, on the other hand, is a lot more car-like in its application. It is very hot-hatchy, doesn't buck over road undulations like the i3 can owing to its short wheel base, and doesn't have the rather polarizing exterior appearance of the i3. I happen to like the way they look, especially the "storm trooper" version we have that is white with dark tinted windows, but I will admit, I was *not* a fan of them in 2014 when they debuted. I had a chance to briefly see one in the Amsterdam airport in 2013 as I ran to catch a connecting flight, and at first I was just like "yikes." But a test drive or two later and the looks grew on me.

At this point in time, if I was shopping for a single EV and couldn't wait for or afford the Model 3, the Bolt would absolutely be my choice over the i3. As it is for me, we'll continue to enjoy the quirkiness of the i3 for the next year, then replace it with a Model 3 when we turn it in.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.