Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sure. We bought ours June 2017 from Emerson in Auburn. 13k miles so far. Even won first prize in the alternative fuels category at the most recent Uptown Cruizers auto show!

·
Registered
228 Posts
South Portland

Sure. Received our Bolt in 2017 in NJ and are now in the South Portland area.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Moved from Asheville to Madawaska, just down the road from Fort Kent at the very top of Maine. This winter ought to be interesting.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Moved from Asheville to Madawaska, just down the road from Fort Kent at the very top of Maine. This winter ought to be interesting.

Well...welcome to the deepest part of Aroostook county (hereinafter knows as "The County") possible.

Your suspicions are well founded. It is cold there. I have worked with food processors in Van Buren. Keeping a food processing facility warm is a lot of work. Aroostook will easily get to -10C (14F) from November through March.

Moral of the story: Make sure your home has a level 2 ready. The Bolt should be plugged in while parked overnight to keep the battery conditioned and warm. You will need this.

Also, did you get your Bolt from Asheville to Madawaska through Canada? (or on a truck?)

Try as I may, Maine and I-95 are an EV charging desert north of Augusta. My only link north is a long, lonely run from Augusta to Saint Georges, Quebec to connect the US EVGo network with the Circuite Electrique network in Quebec. From there, I can edge around the border of Maine. However, connecting to I-95 from St. Johns is impossible.

Summer is fantastic though.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Make sure your home has a level 2 ready. The Bolt should be plugged in while parked overnight to keep the battery conditioned and warm. You will need this.
Also, did you get your Bolt from Asheville to Madawaska through Canada? (or on a truck?)
Sorry for the delay in responding. I'm presently using a 15-amp L2 from a Volt, obtained through a Goodwill in Asheville. I'm planning to have a 40-amp Juicebox put in the garage. The Bolt came up on a U-Haul flatbed behind a 10-foot van of theirs.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Sorry for the delay in responding. I'm presently using a 15-amp L2 from a Volt, obtained through a Goodwill in Asheville. I'm planning to have a 40-amp Juicebox put in the garage. The Bolt came up on a U-Haul flatbed behind a 10-foot van of theirs.

Good move on the Juicebox. Down in the Waterville, mid-state, area, I have been getting about 180-190 miles on a full charge in winter. I find that this is about the worst with heater at 20C and exterior at 0C to -5C. You should not have a problem in the country for all but the longest drives.

I would also splurge and get a Circuit Electrique card https://lecircuitelectrique.com/welcome.

Thanks to Hydro Quebec and health public infrastructure investment, Quebec and New Brunswick are covered in fast charging stations. These are usually 125 Amp units which add about 140 miles/hour into my Bolt.

Enjoy fall!

·
Registered
2021 Bolt Premier
3,481 Posts
Just recently got a Bolt near Wiscasset. I’m intestested in hearing Maine EV experiences.

Expect significantly less range in Winter. 150mi max is not uncommon in cold climes. I'm getting ~190mi max range in So. CA. Lately, it gets down into the 40's* at night here. We use the HVAC constantly, and drive it like we stole it.

*That's "So. CA cold".

·
Registered
228 Posts
Just recently got a Bolt near Wiscasset. I’m intestested in hearing Maine EV experiences.

I am in South Portland and have observed my 2017 Bolt EV go through the recent single digit weather (-15C, 5F) here.

• Driving on the cold, dark, nights with heat at 20C (68F) gets me around 2.7mi/kWH or about 160 mi total range. I normally drive South Portland to Augusta, a 120 mi round trip. It's much less of a comfort zone than in summer, but there are several good DCFC and L2 chargers near my clients.
  • Heated seats and steering wheel
  • A little bit of sun drops the need for the heater and brings me up to 180 miles of range.
  • Watch the torque! Electronic stability control on the Bolt is great, but a little to much throttle and the tires will break free on loose snow and ice. I am still running the original tires.
  • I try to avoid using DCFC simply because I have found the car needs about 10 minutes on the charger just to warm up the battery and take the full available charge rate. If necessary, yes, I will DCFC charge, but prefer my home L2 or a municipal L2 over a longer period.

Of course, the hatchback design catches all of the road sand, salt, and garbage so I am regularly at my self-serve car wash to get the gunk off and be able to see out the windows.

It's Maine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts