Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
planning on going to vegas and need advice ...

i'll be getting to Victorville with about 90 miles driven ~60% charge left?
planning on charging with the evgo charger dcfast in Victorville
then 190 miles to my hotel in vegas

doable without to many compromises in speed and climate control?

i'm planning on not using climate and to travel with the flow of traffic ...

any advice? has anyone done it? how long will it take to charge from 60% to 100%? any other tips? it's a "hilly" freeway, does the charger at stateline work?

thanks!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Here is a quick video of the Bolt on that trip.

planning on going to vegas and need advice ...

i'll be getting to Victorville with about 90 miles driven ~60% charge left?
planning on charging with the evgo charger dcfast in Victorville
then 190 miles to my hotel in vegas

doable without to many compromises in speed and climate control?

i'm planning on not using climate and to travel with the flow of traffic ...

any advice? has anyone done it? how long will it take to charge from 60% to 100%? any other tips? it's a "hilly" freeway, does the charger at stateline work?

thanks!

·
Registered
734 Posts
Glad to know Best Western got on board with the EV charging stations, more companies need to start doing that since its a win win situation, more potential up sells for them to make and convenience for us.

Some Starbucks locations have chargers, so that's another option along a trip like this.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Plug-share is the app you need to plan this - it will show you where chargers are located all along your route - plan appropriately and remember there are some nasty uphill grades from LA to Vegas which will dramatically increase your consumption.

I've done the drive twice in a Tesla (before the Mojave charger was available) and the run from Tejon to Barstow, and Barstow to Vegas is a real nail bitter - watch for cold weather you'll use 15-30% more if the temps are below 50F…

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Once the proposed DCFCs go in in Baker, it will be a piece of cake (ChargePoint is slated to install 4 DCFC chargers in Baker). The two DCFCs slated to go in at Barstow, and the other two at Yermo will help as well - but the 4 at Baker, pretty much halfway to vegas, will be the key.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Advice? Sure. Don't torture yourself trying to drive an electric car beyond its range. Rent or borrow a gas car, and enjoy the drive!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Advice? Sure. Don't torture yourself trying to drive an electric car beyond its range. Rent or borrow a gas car, and enjoy the drive!
Thanks but that's not the point - I have a volt too ... but i "want" to make this trip on pure eelectric.

I'm asking for eexperience of anyone who has done this trip - especially the 190 miles Victorville to Las Vegas - i know i have the "slow" charger iin Primm if it doesn't look good but I'd rather not stop there ...

·
Registered
118 Posts
Not my utube video, but the man who did the video gives all the details, he did charge in Victorville and made it easily to Las Vegas in his Bolt, he said.

Did you charge in Victorville? And did you make it all the way to Vegas or did you stop in Primm to get a charge ?

How was your energy consumption thru the grades?

thanks

·
Registered
368 Posts
Thanks but that's not the point - I have a volt too ... but i "want" to make this trip on pure eelectric.

I'm asking for eexperience of anyone who has done this trip - especially the 190 miles Victorville to Las Vegas - i know i have the "slow" charger iin Primm if it doesn't look good but I'd rather not stop there ...
You're welcome! Enjoy your trip. :)

·
Registered
734 Posts

That speaks for a lot of people because with most people I know interested in EV's one of the things that come to mind is how far they can go with it and what its like on a road trip. Especially these days when companies like ChargePoint have chargers everywhere, last I checked they had something like 30k stations.

·
Registered
7 Posts

flmgrip, you state you have both a Volt as well as a Bolt...care to offer a quick pro/con Bolt vs. Volt.

I am torn trying to decide which to buy.

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
flmgrip, you state you have both a Volt as well as a Bolt...care to offer a quick pro/con Bolt vs. Volt. I am torn trying to decide which to buy.
Sit in the back seat of both of them before you make a decision. That's what persuaded me to wait for the Bolt.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
flmgrip, you state you have both a Volt as well as a Bolt...care to offer a quick pro/con Bolt vs. Volt.

most important, what are your driving habits? what's your daily commute? what's your weekend driving? how often do you do trips over 200 miles?

they both handle very similar, bolt has better acceleration, bolt has more storage and passenger room.

I would say this, if your daily commute is no more than 75 miles get a volt (my commute can be up to 200 miles/day)

if you plan to do a lot of 200+ miles trips get the volt

dc-fast is expanding but no matter how you look at it bolt or tesla, using fast charging frequently will be annoying as it does add substantial amount of time to your travel.

so it's really up to your personal situation, do plenty of research on dc-fast in your area if you think you will use it frequently ... the 90 miles/30 mins is misleading ... you get that in the ideal area of when you start charging around 20% cap ... from 0-full is maybe 1.5 hrs ...

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

also consider how much HOV and Fast-track you are/will be using ... the green stickers will be disallowed before the white stickers (my guess without any proof) ... also white stickers will get you free Fast-track/toll road access depending on where you live and what time of the day it is ...

·
Super Moderator
787 Posts
White and Green stickers are treated equally with regards to HOV and Express Lane access, or bridge tolls.

I, too, am of the opinion that the green sticker program will be allowed to sunset, but that the white sticker program will be extended.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Not really an example of stickers, but answering the original question of difference between a Bolt EV and Volt, if you have a Chevy Bolt EV and you live in So Cal, then you can drive in the 91 Express Lanes mostly for "free".

http://www.91expresslanes.com/getting-started/

All tolls are free, except for M-F from 4-6pm eastbound where tolls are charged at 50%. Of course, you also need to "pay" an initial $40 account fund load and get your transponder. I don't think that this isn't exactly a sticker thing, as to qualify, the car has to be a pure zero emissions vehicle, and I'm not sure CNG applies for the discount. Anyway, I was able to qualify for and get this benefit way before I received my stickers. I just took a copy of DMV registration to one of their offices and paid the fee, and they handed me a transponder right on the spot.

If you live in the area, it's a great benefit as they are about to open the next 8 mile stretch between the 15 and 71 freeways next Monday.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Not really an example of stickers, but answering the original question of difference between a Bolt EV and Volt, if you have a Chevy Bolt EV and you live in So Cal, then you can drive in the 91 Express Lanes mostly for "free".

http://www.91expresslanes.com/getting-started/

All tolls are free, except for M-F from 4-6pm eastbound where tolls are charged at 50%. Of course, you also need to "pay" an initial $40 account fund load and get your transponder. I don't think that this isn't exactly a sticker thing, as to qualify, the car has to be a pure zero emissions vehicle, and I'm not sure CNG applies for the discount. Anyway, I was able to qualify for and get this benefit way before I received my stickers. I just took a copy of DMV registration to one of their offices and paid the fee, and they handed me a transponder right on the spot.

If you live in the area, it's a great benefit as they are about to open the next 8 mile stretch between the 15 and 71 freeways next Monday.

it is a "sticker thing", white sticker = zero emission, green sticker = partial zero emission

white "free" on the 91, green pay like everyone else with a gas guzzler

1 - 20 of 25 Posts