Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all -

Has anybody done the LA to SF route on the 5 yet? I know a couple of fast chargers went in recently, and theoretically, it's possible by the numbers, but I want to hear from people that have actually done it. Are the chargers easy to find? Reliable? Not blocked, busy, or otherwise unavailable? Do you get to them with 12 miles left on the battery?

Thoughts, anybody?

My last trip I did I took the 99, which is obviously way better for DC chargers, and especially because I had a giant roof box and was getting 160 miles to a charge. Not doing that again if I can avoid it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Howdy all -

Has anybody done the LA to SF route on the 5 yet? I know a couple of fast chargers went in recently, and theoretically, it's possible by the numbers, but I want to hear from people that have actually done it. Are the chargers easy to find? Reliable? Not blocked, busy, or otherwise unavailable? Do you get to them with 12 miles left on the battery?

Thoughts, anybody?

My last trip I did I took the 99, which is obviously way better for DC chargers, and especially because I had a giant roof box and was getting 160 miles to a charge. Not doing that again if I can avoid it.
Have you tried the PlugShare Trip Planner? There are a number of DC chargers on the 5.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
@PlugShare

I love you guys/gals! I check you often to see if my state ever gets on the bandwagon of EV ownership and we get some good infrastructure. My next EV purchase is about 18-24 months away so I need to know what my range capabilities are and if L3 will exist on my route from Milwaukee to Green Bay.

If you need to charge for membership, you have my money!!!!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have you tried the PlugShare Trip Planner? There are a number of DC chargers on the 5.

View attachment 27429
Leaving out the "coming soon" and the ones that sat there for almost a year before coming online in September, there's like three. Also, I really like that Plugshare has filters for low rated chargers, and massive kudos to people who report their experiences at these chargers. It's got a long way to go until it's ubiquitous and a commodity.

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
@PlugShare

I love you guys/gals! I check you often to see if my state ever gets on the bandwagon of EV ownership and we get some good infrastructure. My next EV purchase is about 18-24 months away so I need to know what my range capabilities are and if L3 will exist on my route from Milwaukee to Green Bay.

If you need to charge for membership, you have my money!!!!

My god man, it is only 120 miles from Milwaukee to Green Bay, on pool table flat roads. I count 8 DC fast chargers in Milwaukee, and a bulletproof EVgo charger at the food coop in Mequon. Green Bay is only 106 miles from there. Green Bay has no DC fast chargers. If you leave Milwaukee with a full charge, and hit the EVgo charger on the way back, that is only 226 miles. To play it safe, charge for an hour or two, at one of the ten J1772 EVSEs in Green Bay before returning, or one of the many others along the way.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
My god man, it is only 120 miles from Milwaukee to Green Bay, on pool table flat roads. I count 8 DC fast chargers in Milwaukee, and a bulletproof EVgo charger at the food coop in Mequon. Green Bay is only 106 miles from there. Green Bay has no DC fast chargers. If you leave Milwaukee with a full charge, and hit the EVgo charger on the way back, that is only 226 miles. To play it safe, charge for an hour or two, at one of the ten J1772 EVSEs in Green Bay before returning, or one of the many others along the way.
Well, from my door to Lambeau Field is 149 miles each way. That bulletproof charger at the coop in Mequon is a single charger that has had 6 (PlugShare) checkin's in all of 2019 and it has been heavily ICED over more than not from what my friends tell me. 3 of those other 8 stations, the HD ones are 24kW stations, of which a Bolt just checked into one reporting 17kW's at 58%. As you pointed out, I would need to augment with L2 charging. It's 206 miles roundtrip from that single DCFC station in Mequon to Lambeau, with freeway and the heater, not doable without your suggestion of L2. In my world, it just seems like a fail to do that trip without more DCFC for those who can and would utilize it. The 8 charger locations you have pointed out in MKE, all are single station chargers, the only exception isn't open yet, and that's our first Walmart that is 'electrified'. One single charger per location. As for the 3 Outpost locations, they put them up front near the exit and all my friends who go there ***** about it being ICE'd over regularly. I would like to see places be smarter with the placement to diminish ICE'ing. Our brand new IKEA has L2, up front and next to handicap, ICE'd over more than not. By a handicapper usually who probably didn't even realize they were ICE'ing. And I know I'm that 1% who cringes at the concept of spending as much time charging on the way as I did at the football game, if not more, and would probably have range anxiety too. Maybe in 2 years, at which point I suspect I'll have a next generation EV and the game will change.

·
Registered
612 Posts
If you're gonna insist on putting articles before freeway numbers, you can just stay in southern California. :p
Beat me to it! :)

He's welcome to come up to NorCal on his 'the' I-5 in his 'the' Bolt. But he'll have to take I-5 to get back home from here. Or more likely, take 99. :p

(California's a big place, there are regional differences. An Easterner asked me about that in a different context, I replied imagine Boston to Charleston all in a single state :) )

·
Registered
339 Posts
Beat me to it! :)

He's welcome to come up to NorCal on his 'the' I-5 in his 'the' Bolt. But he'll have to take I-5 to get back home from here. Or more likely, take 99. :p

(California's a big place, there are regional differences. An Easterner asked me about that in a different context, I replied imagine Boston to Charleston all in a single state :) )
And you can have fun driving on your "freeways" out there, I'll continue driving on the "highways" out here on the east coast. :p

·
Registered
752 Posts
"Only" 226 miles? In Wisconsin? Are you kidding me? I take it you don't understand cold. There's no way a Bolt can travel 226 miles on a single charge in sub-zero (F) weather. Even without running the heat and keeping the speed to 45MPH. (Ask me how I know - thank goodness for toe warmers!).

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you're gonna insist on putting articles before freeway numbers, you can just stay in southern California. :p
Hey pal, I suppose you don't like articles before acronyms too? Maybe you ain't heard about the BQE, the FDR? You know what happens when you stop in Brooklyn and you ask about highway 278? Your ass gets robbed. Welcome to New York, Kid.

·
Registered
70 Posts
And you can have fun driving on your "freeways" out there, I'll continue driving on the "highways" out here on the east coast. :p
ahem...a little correction if you please. There is nothing "free" about the freeways out here in CA! What starts out as a public access road paid with tax dollars quickly becomes a toll road to reduce congestion. WTF! AND as the road conditions deteriorate due to usage, the previously mentioned tax funds have disappeared to repair the roads SO a new tax must be enacted to pay for said repairs. This tax comes in the form a new gas tax.

Oh but wait a minute. EV owners are off the hook because we don't use gas, right? Not so fast! Because EV owners USE the same roads as ICE, the state has imposed a "use" tax on EV owners. WTF a second time!

This is why this Bolt is making a run for a different state in 2020!:mad::mad::mad:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Bumping this thread because there have been some developments in the last month. EA has activated two new locations along I-5. One is along Taft highway south of Buttonwillow. Four chargers at that location and I've used it three times now in the last few weeks and it works great. The other is at Panoche Shell about 30 mi north of Harris ranch. With these additions it makes it much more possible to do I-5.

Another anecdote, the Sunday after Thanksgiving I drove I-5 from SF to LA during a pretty windy rain storm. For the first 100mi south of Altamont pass I was only getting 2.5mi/kWh due to a really strong headwind!!! That's the worst I've ever seen on a roadtrip.

Reports on PlugShare indicate the CP chargers in Wheeler Ridge are not that reliable so the charger near Buttonwillow is key. That one can get you all the way to LA when going south.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good to know. I just did a Bakersfield run (the 99, so not exactly the 5), but points north of LA anyway, and there's a nice new-ish set of chargers from Electrify America at the Bakersfield Plaza. They were nice to have, but were topping out at 32kw last week. They did some service this weekend it seems.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts