Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, fellow Bolters. I somehow managed to lose one of my keyfobs which I'm sure is going to cost me a pretty penny to replace. Is my only option to go through the dealer to get a new one?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
Yeah, I bought two fobs from this place and programmed them for my Bolt. They work just fine, and appear to be identical to the ones that came with the car.

I had the mechanical keys for both fobs cut by the parts guy at my Chevy dealership, who was kind enough to do it pro bono since I had bought a set of OEM wheels and some other stuff from him. Interestingly, he didn't use the original keys as templates, he just entered the VIN number into the cutting machine.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Greetings, fellow Bolters. I somehow managed to lose one of my keyfobs which I'm sure is going to cost me a pretty penny to replace. Is my only option to go through the dealer to get a new one?

Thanks!

Well, unfortunately you'll need to have the replacement FOB programmed. Now if you would
have future proof yourself and had two FOB's left, you could have programmed it yourself.
I would buy two new FOB's and have them programmed. If they want to charge extra for
the second one to be programmed, skip it and do it yourself after getting a new one done.

It takes 2 FOB's to learn a 3rd and 4th one without programming from the dealer.
IIRC, you can have up to 8 FOB's programmed to the car.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Just to be clear, for those unaware: Tile devices are range-limited to Bluetooth distances (200 feet). For a more distant loss, they depend on other people having a smart phone, that they have the Tile app installed and running on their phone, their Bluetooth is enabled, and they need to be within Bluetooth distance your Tile device.

I wish I had a dollar for every person who is under the false notion that they use cellular tech, and can find your device anywhere. They can't.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts