Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi There!

Has anyone found a way to disable the loud horn sounding when one leaves the remote in the Bolt after shutting off the car? This is very annoying and rude to neighbors when I park the car in the garage late at night, door open.

I get the idea, but would like to disable it.

Thanks you for any help.

Wilma

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Good question, but I don't know the answer.

However, do not leave the keyfob in the car on purpose as it continues to communicate whenever in range, causing both the keyfob battery and 12v battery in the car to drain much faster than they otherwise would.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
When I first got the Bolt, I gave my wife the second Fob. She put it in her purse and on a couple trips early on, she left (hid) her purse in the car as we left and locked the doors. It chimed three times, I think. It was neither continuous nor blaring. It took us a few times to realize it was the Fob-in-the-car message. Now she leaves it at home, and uses it when she drives the Bolt, rather than carrying it along on every trip.

·
Registered
121 Posts
If you really need to leave it in the car for some reason, you can put it in one of these RFID blocking bags:

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Keyfob-RFID-Signal-Blocking-Bag/dp/B00Y3FLYWG[/ame]

·
Registered
3 Posts
I believe there is a way to disable

You need to look in the settings area and scroll through vehicle. I believe I saw something in there for the chime when you leave your key fob in the car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi There!

Has anyone found a way to disable the loud horn sounding when one leaves the remote in the Bolt after shutting off the car? This is very annoying and rude to neighbors when I park the car in the garage late at night, door open.

I get the idea, but would like to disable it.

Thanks you for any help.

Wilma
To turn off this horn chirp feature, go to page 145 manual and for the "Remote Left in Vehicle Alert" setting. Just turn setting to OFF and you are good to go. However, I might add a strange glitch I noticed after changing the setting to OFF. I will sometimes go thru the car settings while car is in garage at night. So I take remote with me because I need remote to turn car ON to access some of the vehicle settings---like the one mentioned here. Anyway, I sit in passenger seat to do this because the passenger door can be fully opened without hitting cabinets on side of garage--unlike my driver door. I need to press brake pedal with my hand from passenger side to start vehicle power, but it is not a big deal for me. When I'm done changing and reviewing my settings, I turn off vehicle and then exit WITH remote from the passenger door. The next time--typically the next day, I get in car from driver door to go somewhere and the horn chirps 3 times when I close driver door behind me---it always startles me. I can repeat the glitch now that I figured out the cause. My guess is that the car thinks the remote was left in vehicle when I exit from passenger door. So when I open and close driver door, it "thinks" I'm leaving vehicle and have left the remote in car. Although, I'm not sure why it chirps since I have this setting OFF.

Before I figured out why it was happening, I called GM customer care for assistance. Phone rep told me the car will always chirp to let me know the remote is in vehicle and functioning properly. She also said I could have feature turned-off, but I would need to have the dealer do it for me. I tried to explain that this made no sense, but she insisted this was a feature in other GM cars, too. I gave her the example of me leaving for work every morning and how having my corn horn chirp would wake the rest of the family! But she insisted this was a vehicle feature. But I said if that was true, why does this happen only happen once in a blue moon and not every single time--as she just described. She suggested I take car to dealer.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Download the PDF version of the car manual, so that you can search the manual for terms.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts