Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New owner on first trip out yesterday after bringing brand new 2020 Bolt LT home a day earlier on a full charge. Was jarred by a loud and grating sound from rear of car when I turned it off at one stop. More details follow. Hope it helps others identify if anything like this has happened to them...

Car had about 15 miles total on it at time of incident. We ran some errands around town, driving in L. Drove one mile following other three to four mile drives. After dropping off spouse to run into a store, I drove into parking lot and stayed in car facing downhill on a grade of 5-10 degrees. I sat for a minute, maybe two, examining car screen menus, turning off auto heated seats for example, and realized I heard the drive tone, which I thought was odd. Now I realized must have left car in L. Before I realized that though, I turned off the car and immediately heard what sounded like grinding or chattering at rear of car, loud enough to really startle me. It was over in about a second as car powered down. I think it was mechanical but don’t know enough about the car to swear it wasn’t whatever generates the audio drive tone. Don’t recall if I felt any vibration. The sound jarred me more than anything. Car started back up and made trip home a mile or so just fine.

I wish I was surer that I had my foot on the brake while I sat there, but wonder if my unfamiliarity with L led me to think I was in P if the car didn’t move when I stopped and maybe never had my foot on brake or took it off brake at some point. I doubt it though. I may be overthinking this, wondering if L confused my subconscious. I’m pretty sure I had foot on brake entire time. I’m quite sure I did when I turned off vehicle, since I do that out of habit and it may even be required by car. I’ll go back this morning and see if L holds still on the grade to know more.

I don’t want to repeat entire scenario though, fearing I’ll damage something. Anxious to hear from others, thanks.

I’ll likely take car on a 50 mile round trip to/fro work today as long as nothing suspicious happens.

·
Registered
2019 Chevy Bolt LT, Tesla Powerwall2
26 Posts
New owner on first trip out yesterday after bringing brand new 2020 Bolt LT home a day earlier on a full charge. Was jarred by a loud and grating sound from rear of car when I turned it off at one stop. More details follow. Hope it helps others identify if anything like this has happened to them...

Car had about 15 miles total on it at time of incident. We ran some errands around town, driving in L. Drove one mile following other three to four mile drives. After dropping off spouse to run into a store, I drove into parking lot and stayed in car facing downhill on a grade of 5-10 degrees. I sat for a minute, maybe two, examining car screen menus, turning off auto heated seats for example, and realized I heard the drive tone, which I thought was odd. Now I realized must have left car in L. Before I realized that though, I turned off the car and immediately heard what sounded like grinding or chattering at rear of car, loud enough to really startle me. It was over in about a second as car powered down. I think it was mechanical but don’t know enough about the car to swear it wasn’t whatever generates the audio drive tone. Don’t recall if I felt any vibration. The sound jarred me more than anything. Car started back up and made trip home a mile or so just fine.

I wish I was surer that I had my foot on the brake while I sat there, but wonder if my unfamiliarity with L led me to think I was in P if the car didn’t move when I stopped and maybe never had my foot on brake or took it off brake at some point. I doubt it though. I may be overthinking this, wondering if L confused my subconscious. I’m pretty sure I had foot on brake entire time. I’m quite sure I did when I turned off vehicle, since I do that out of habit and it may even be required by car. I’ll go back this morning and see if L holds still on the grade to know more.

I don’t want to repeat entire scenario though, fearing I’ll damage something. Anxious to hear from others, thanks.

I’ll likely take car on a 50 mile round trip to/fro work today as long as nothing suspicious happens.
Might have been the emergency brake setting itself. To avoid that noise, try shifting into Neutral before putting it in Park.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
The sound jarred me more than anything.
Your post showed up from 13 days ago? Or maybe just missed it. If you sit too long in L on an incline it will automatically set the electronic parking brake. But the real noise maker is if you hit park before coming completely to a stop. The ensuing grinding noise is from the automatic braking system. That will get your attention.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts