Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While driving about 45, our bolt EUV begins to make a loud noise. Almost like an engine running. It only has 2,700 miles on it. We have taken it in. They have heard the noise but have no idea because it’s not doing it while “ idling“ or under 45 mph. Any ideas?

·
Registered
12/16 build, 2017, white LT
12,009 Posts
While driving about 45, our bolt EUV begins to make a loud noise. Almost like an engine running. It only has 2,700 miles on it. We have taken it in. They have heard the noise but have no idea because it’s not doing it while “ idling“ or under 45 mph. Any ideas?
Can you take a video with good audio for us? Some shops have mics they can place around the car to figure out where the noise is coming from.

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Nov build
7,636 Posts
Did you sign up for GM Beta program? Maybe it's the upcoming EV 'engine sound' to compete with the other mfg.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
1,179 Posts
I have a freeway trip in mine tomorrow, so I'll keep an ear out. Although I was on the freeway this morning for about 5 miles and don't recall hearing anything but wind and tire noise, along with a bit or powertrain hum.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt Premier
4,230 Posts
Unbalanced wheel/tire or alignment out? Sounds like a resonance at a particular vibration frequency associated with a particular rotational speed.

·
Registered
5,959 Posts
Oh great! When u find it, please let me know!
could be a rock or a loose front axle nut.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Most likely thing is a tire issue. After that, could be a wheel bearing, which would sound like a hollow roar, or rotational “Whoo-hoo-hoo-hoo” ... but it would be awfully strange to have a failure this soon. I’ve driven three newly-bought vehicles past 222,222 miles and never replaced a single bearing on any of them!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wondering if this noise has been identified. I have exactly the same issue with my ‘22 EUV that started at about 3500 miles - not there before then. On smooth asphalt at 45 mph a loud hum/howl starts that seems aerodynamic related (Starts like someone threw a switch.). I’m pretty certain it’s not a cv joint or wheel bearing. I’ve had those issues on other small cars and it does not sound like that. Slight steer angle or accelerator movement does not change this annoying howl. Faster speed and road noise will eventually drown it out. I’ve not yet had time to take it to my dealer and really don’t want to until I think they will really do something useful. This exact problem has been discussed on the Bolt Facebook group and one owner ended up satisfied with a “radiator support clip” repair/replacement that was causing a wind noise. Anyone else had this issue and was able to fix it?

·
Premium Member
2018 Bolt Premier
587 Posts
Wondering if this noise has been identified. I have exactly the same issue with my ‘22 EUV that started at about 3500 miles - not there before then. On smooth asphalt at 45 mph a loud hum/howl starts that seems aerodynamic related (Starts like someone threw a switch.). I’m pretty certain it’s not a cv joint or wheel bearing. I’ve had those issues on other small cars and it does not sound like that. Slight steer angle or accelerator movement does not change this annoying howl. Faster speed and road noise will eventually drown it out. I’ve not yet had time to take it to my dealer and really don’t want to until I think they will really do something useful. This exact problem has been discussed on the Bolt Facebook group and one owner ended up satisfied with a “radiator support clip” repair/replacement that was causing a wind noise. Anyone else had this issue and was able to fix it?
Does it sound like a reed type of noise like when you were a kid and blew through your hands with a blade of grass in your hand?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Does it sound like a reed type of noise like when you were a kid and blew through your hands with a blade of grass in your hand?
Yes, maybe it does. This is a new issue in the last couple weeks, I don’t think it’s tires because the sound pitch is not affected by vehicle speed. Really seems to be aero related. Do you have an idea?

·
Premium Member
2018 Bolt Premier
587 Posts
Yes, maybe it does. This is a new issue in the last couple weeks, I don’t think it’s tires because the sound pitch is not affected by vehicle speed. Really seems to be aero related. Do you have an idea?
I used to own a Leakpro franchise and fixed this problem often. It’s caused by the windshield reveal moulding at the top of the windshield vibrating but the harmonic could make it sound like it was coming from anywhere in contact with the windshield. A quick test is to run a strip of painters tape all the way across the top.
Let me know if the noise is gone and I’ll tell you how to fix it easily

1 - 20 of 123 Posts