Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
We've had ours for about the same period of time - it really is the best car we've ever owned to date I think. As far as the driving and ownership experience it is the most fit for purpose car I could imagine to replace our aging hybrid, which in turn replaced our TDI. We went Premium for the safety features as well, probably a common upsell for the next couple years until they become standard.

Congratulations on the car, I think (and hope) it will be great long term!

·
Super Moderator
2,580 Posts
a good high quality L2 charger in your home will complete the EV ownership experience - nothing better than to wake up to a full battery every morning - and knowing you can fully charge the car in a reasonable amount of time!
In the mean time, set your home location to the 12 amp setting for the L1 EVSE you already have. This will keep you from having to manually select 12 amps every time you plug in at home. Sometimes you forget and you end up getting an 8 amp charge and it can be disappointing. I know, I've been using the L1 the last several weeks. :laugh:

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV Ioniq 5 reservation
1,729 Posts
I agree with the above comments on Level 2 charging. For me, it is a must. I do not "top it off" on a daily basis, but only once or twice each week. But it is nice to know that at any time, I can "fill the tank" in 8 hours, rather than 16-20 hours.

·
Super Moderator
2,580 Posts
Who cares? Meter increase minus pump decrease still leaves much in my pocket. And the minimal savings (if any) from using 120 volts instead of 240 volts cannot offset the convenience/flexibility of more rapid home charging!
To my knowledge, there is zero savings by using a L1 over a L2. Kwhs is Kwhs.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Who cares? Meter increase minus pump decrease still leaves much in my pocket.
You're not in California. The US average power usage is 30kWh/day per household. PG&E baseline is 20kWh which is what they are encouraging you to use. Only in Hawaii where all electricity is generated from oil is the average usage 20kWh. Once you go above 20 you get into tiered rates which rise significantly, up to 42 cents/kWh and beyond if you get into the dreaded last tier, where they throw the book at you.

Ironically this encourages Californians to load up on natural gas, but guess how most of our kWh are generated from? Natural Gas plants in Southern California! What a joke, and NG is rather dangerous as we found out recently, and has become quite a bit more expensive due to the gas explosions.

I have a home office/lots of computers and a water distiller and will run up to 70kWh on some days. That doesn't even include the EV which I mostly charge for free at work. The only mitigation is solar, I put in 10kW of panels and fortunately California also has the most generous NEM in the world as far as I can tell. My bill would be north of $600/month without this. I tell people that you don't even need to zero out your bill, all you need is to stay out of the tiers.

To my knowledge, there is zero savings by using a L1 over a L2. Kwhs is Kwhs.
Operating at a higher voltage has better efficiency, since we're inverting to 350VDC.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts