Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m a recently retired electrical engineer. I’ve been enthusiastic about EVs for over 30 years, but knew they wouldn’t catch on without better batteries. Ever since that problem was solved, I’ve been dreaming of my first EV. My wife is a teacher, and has two more years to retire. Was hoping to wait until then to upgrade to EV, hoping for more choices, and keeping our 98 Toyota Avalon alive until such time. My son, home for the summer from college, changed our plans when he totaled the Avalon. I did an exhaustive comparison of small ICE and hybrid SUVs, the Volt, and (just for comparison) the Bolt, which I was sure I couldn’t afford. Among other cars, I contemplated 2014 Hondas with about 80,000 miles for about $14K … frustrating. Teslas were for folks with lots more cash than I had. I was just about decided on a Volt, since we live in a small town far from the big city, and thus I had range anxiety. In no way did I think I had enough for a Bolt, but one day, poring over the ads, I saw a ‘17 Bolt listed for $17,999. My daughter saw it too, and said “Dad, you’ve wanted one for your entire life!” How could I ignore her! It squeaked in just below my absolute top end budget. I figured that long trips wouldn’t be a problem, since retired, I can now afford to stop and charge for 3 hrs on the way to Denver, some 250 miles away. So … here I am!

·
Registered
2017 Chevy Bolt EV Premium - Metallic Grey
59 Posts
I’m a recently retired electrical engineer. I’ve been enthusiastic about EVs for over 30 years, but knew they wouldn’t catch on without better batteries. Ever since that problem was solved, I’ve been dreaming of my first EV. My wife is a teacher, and has two more years to retire. Was hoping to wait until then to upgrade to EV, hoping for more choices, and keeping our 98 Toyota Avalon alive until such time. My son, home for the summer from college, changed our plans when he totaled the Avalon. I did an exhaustive comparison of small ICE and hybrid SUVs, the Volt, and (just for comparison) the Bolt, which I was sure I couldn’t afford. Among other cars, I contemplated 2014 Hondas with about 80,000 miles for about $14K … frustrating. Teslas were for folks with lots more cash than I had. I was just about decided on a Volt, since we live in a small town far from the big city, and thus I had range anxiety. In no way did I think I had enough for a Bolt, but one day, poring over the ads, I saw a ‘17 Bolt listed for $17,999. My daughter saw it too, and said “Dad, you’ve wanted one for your entire life!” How could I ignore her! It squeaked in just below my absolute top end budget. I figured that long trips wouldn’t be a problem, since retired, I can now afford to stop and charge for 3 hrs on the way to Denver, some 250 miles away. So … here I am! View attachment 31091
Your daughter is right. Listen to your heart.

·
814 Posts
Welcome fellow Coloradoan. You will find the Denver route pretty easy these days. I actually don’t mind the Sunday return to front range any more, the slower speeds + gravity are an awesome bonus for extending range.

I did a trip to Ouray in 2018 when the only DC charging between Denver and Grand Junction were 20kW at Glenwood (Mtn. Chevy) and GJ Library.

Today, add Frisco, Edward’s, Eagle, Gypsum, Glenwood, Grand Junction (2 new sites), Delta, Montrose (soon). All 50kW or better. Plus Meeker, Dinosaur, Paonia and a few more ChargePoint DC sites coming soon and Western CO is getting lots of great options for travel.

Enjoy you new Bolt!

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Welcome to the forum. We too knew a BEV would be perfect for a retired couple. The savings never penciled out, but when the Bolt came along, it was just such a hoot to drive, we just spent the money and have been smiling ever since.

jack vines

·
Registered
2017 Chevy Bolt EV Premium - Metallic Grey
59 Posts
The savings never penciled out, but when the Bolt came along, it was just such a hoot to drive, we just spent the money and have been smiling ever since.

jack vines
Can you elaborate on what you mean when you say "The savings never penciled out?"

·
Registered
902 Posts
You did the right thing by skipping the Volt and going full BEV. I made that mistake and while the Volt is a great car, it left me wanting for just pure electric without having to live with the gas engine's maintenance. I kept the Volt 2 years and went to the Bolt.

I should add... I did opt for the 0% financing instead of discounts and they gave me about $1500 more than dealer trade on my Volt. But I still paid over $40k.

Mike

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One of the many considerations before the purchase was the fact that I would no longer have to crawl underneath the car for maintenance: oil changes, replace brake shoes, leaky radiator, water pump, timing belt, air filter, spark plugs, exhaust system, etc. etc. I've always done the work myself, but never really enjoyed it!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome fellow Coloradoan. You will find the Denver route pretty easy these days. I actually don’t mind the Sunday return to front range any more, the slower speeds + gravity are an awesome bonus for extending range.

I did a trip to Ouray in 2018 when the only DC charging between Denver and Grand Junction were 20kW at Glenwood (Mtn. Chevy) and GJ Library.

Today, add Frisco, Edward’s, Eagle, Gypsum, Glenwood, Grand Junction (2 new sites), Delta, Montrose (soon). All 50kW or better. Plus Meeker, Dinosaur, Paonia and a few more ChargePoint DC sites coming soon and Western CO is getting lots of great options for travel.

Enjoy you new Bolt!
Thanks! I typically drive "the back way" (US 50/ CO285) because it's shorter and lower speed. Stop in Salida to "top up" the battery.

·
814 Posts
Thanks! I typically drive "the back way" (US 50/ CO285) because it's shorter and lower speed. Stop in Salida to "top up" the battery.
I recall Gunnison is on Chargepoint’s list for Charge Ahead CO grant DC chargers. And Montrose should be open soon as well.

I would have taken that route to Ouray, but it was a charging desert in ‘18. Much quicker from my home base in Monument.

·
Registered
75 Posts
If you’re not in a hurry, there are quite a few free L2 chargers in salida. The L3 charger is reasonably priced though, I want to say about .25/kWh

·
814 Posts
I too am in western Colorado, and am buying a 2017 for about the price you’re paying. Delivery in about five days.
Welcome fellow Coloradoan!

Maybe we need to do a Bolt EV meetup somewhere next summer with all the Bolts in the state. CO Springs EV Club (CSEVC) and Denver (DEVC) went to the GJ car show last month and had good interest. But with CV, many shied away from the event. Maybe next summer will be a better turnout.

The Denver and COS EV Clubs generally have several summer events and welcome other EV clubs. The Western CO EV Club is also fairly active and is dialed in to the DEVC and CSEVC clubs. I highly recommend joining your local club, great way to meet other EV owners, share tips and tricks, and opportunities to participate in events to share your story with the public.

·
Registered
6 Posts
ARob, thanks for your warm welcome :).

I’d enjoy the meetup you suggest. Imagine a Bolt caravan!

I’ll check out the the Western CO EV club, thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Welcome to the group! Im new around these parts too having just bought my 2020 in Alabama and drive it home to FLA. You will spend perhaps 45 minutes-ish at the DC Fast chargers getting up to about 80%. Thats what I did returning to Florida. Since the chargers "Taper" above 80% why spend the additional hour paying the per minute rate getting to 100%?

Craig

1 - 15 of 15 Posts