Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my Bolt this weekend and I'm in love. Is there anyone else driving one in upstate NY? The only thing that I don't like so far is how long it takes to recharge using the stock charger. Does anybody have any suggestions/tips on faster charging options? There's only 3 DC chargers around me and they cost about $20 per charge... thankfully most of the level 2 chargers around here are free but 20 EVmiles per hour is still pretty slow...

cheers!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just got my Bolt this weekend and I'm in love. Is there anyone else driving one in upstate NY? The only thing that I don't like so far is how long it takes to recharge using the stock charger. Does anybody have any suggestions/tips on faster charging options? There's only 3 DC chargers around me and they cost about $20 per charge... thankfully most of the level 2 chargers around here are free but 20 EVmiles per hour is still pretty slow...

cheers!
Congrats, welcome to the EV Renaissance! Most Bolt owners are charging at home with a 240-volt level 2 charger. Lots of good info here on the form to help you get started and ask questions lots of good EV help here.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Welcome to the PermaGrin!

Yep, if you get set up to charge on 240V at home, it won't matter how long it takes to charge, because you'll be sleeping. And waking up to a full tank will just add to your grin factor.

Your concerns about kW/hour will matter only on trips further than the 125 mile radius you get each morning. For me, those times are infrequent. I'm planning to rent an ICE for any major road trips.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yep, if you get set up to charge on 240V at home, it won't matter how long it takes to charge, because you'll be sleeping. And waking up to a full tank will just add to your grin factor.
I concur. Having my own home Level 2 makes EV ownership so much simpler. I could not imagine having to slow charge with the 120V charger, or having to worry about finding a public Level 2 charger all the time.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
Does anybody have any suggestions/tips on faster charging options?
If you have a 240V outlet or panel close enough to where you park the car then the least cost option to improve charging speeds is to use the standard "charge cord" that came with the car (the official name for it is EVSE - Electric Vehicle Service Equipment) on 240V instead of 120V. The EVSE can run on either, but it's a bit of a challenge to get it to run on 240V because it comes with a plug that only fits into a 120V socket. You have to either make a short adapter cable with the appropriate 240V plug on one end and a 120V socket on the other, or wire up a 240V breaker to a 120V socket that you can plug the EVSE into.

When the EVSE is connected to 240V, it will charge the Bolt at 12A (ignoring the 8A/12A setting which only applies to 120V). 12A at 240V will charge the car twice as fast as 12A at 120V, so you double your charging speed for a very low cost.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you Sean,

I have access to a 240v plug but its in the back of my house and unfortunately I can only park on the street. The ESVE states on it not to use with an extension cord... I had to use a 12' extension to reach the car as is. do you think I could get away with using a 50-100' cord so that I could run it with 240v or do you think this would be asking for trouble?

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
Thank you Sean,

I have access to a 240v plug but its in the back of my house and unfortunately I can only park on the street. The ESVE states on it not to use with an extension cord... I had to use a 12' extension to reach the car as is. do you think I could get away with using a 50-100' cord so that I could run it with 240v or do you think this would be asking for trouble?
An extension cord should be OK as long as the gauge is large enough to handle the load and the plug and socket are in good shape to make a solid connection. I'm not that familiar with what would be required for 100 feet at a continuous 12A, but it might be something like 10 gauge (the smaller the gauge number, the larger the wires - so 10 gauge can handle more current than 12 gauge can).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi Aepoc,

Rochester, NY area here. We installed a level 2 EVSE in our home so the charge time isn't really a big deal because it's charged overnight. NY offers a 50% credit for the infrastructure costs of a EVSE. Glad you like your Bolt!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts