Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
50 Posts
So far been going great with my daily commutes the last 3 weeks. No issues at all View attachment 47082
I've had my 2022 Bolt EUV Premier for almost four months and I'm getting conflicting information about my efficiency, but my car shows a number similar to yours (4.3 mi./kWh) over the 10,000-plus miles I've driven. The MyChevrolet app shows 3.8 mi./kWh though, so I'm not sure which one is closer to accurate. I've tried as best as I can to track my actual usage as well, but I'm just basing my home charging on the number of miles of range added back and doing the math as to how many kWh that equates to. Not super accurate.

I also tend to reset the trip odometer every time I charge up (usually only to 80-90%), and I've seen numbers as high as 6.0 mi./kWh on my regular drive (usually pretty free-flowing and maxing out at 55 mph). I do a lot of city driving too in Chicago and it's not unusual to still be in the area of 5.0 mi./kWh over the course of a night of driving downtown. It's only those pesky interstate trips that bring my average mi./kWh back down to reality ;-P

I wish there was a way to see actual kWh used and/or added over the course of time, such as with a lifetime count as well as maybe a "Trip A" and a "Trip B" like many ICE vehicles have. Does anyone else know how to address this?

· Registered
4,132 Posts
I wish there was a way to see actual kWh used and/or added over the course of time, such as with a lifetime count as well . . . .
FWIW, we've owned our 2017 for five-and-a-half years. During the six months of winter, we precondition on the grid, year-round use HVAC @ 72 degrees on auto, heated seats and steering wheel as needed. The majority of our use is local, with maybe 10% at freeway speed. We've never reset the GOM and our average is dead on 3.5. Isn't that pretty close to what GM predicted?

jack vines

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've had my 2022 Bolt EUV Premier for almost four months and I'm getting conflicting information about my efficiency, but my car shows a number similar to yours (4.3 mi./kWh) over the 10,000-plus miles I've driven. The MyChevrolet app shows 3.8 mi./kWh though, so I'm not sure which one is closer to accurate. I've tried as best as I can to track my actual usage as well, but I'm just basing my home charging on the number of miles of range added back and doing the math as to how many kWh that equates to. Not super accurate.

I also tend to reset the trip odometer every time I charge up (usually only to 80-90%), and I've seen numbers as high as 6.0 mi./kWh on my regular drive (usually pretty free-flowing and maxing out at 55 mph). I do a lot of city driving too in Chicago and it's not unusual to still be in the area of 5.0 mi./kWh over the course of a night of driving downtown. It's only those pesky interstate trips that bring my average mi./kWh back down to reality ;-P

I wish there was a way to see actual kWh used and/or added over the course of time, such as with a lifetime count as well as maybe a "Trip A" and a "Trip B" like many ICE vehicles have. Does anyone else know how to address this?
I also wish there were a trip A and trip B, it would be helpful. most of my driving have been on city streets vs any highway. When i went from Fl to TN and back, i was at 3.9.

· Registered
2022 Bolt - Silver Flare Metallic- LT1
453 Posts
The majority of my driving is below 65 mph and I’m looking at 4.5 miles per kWh. The 40-50 mph range with occasional stop lights really seems to help efficiency. Highway speeds above 65 mph sucks the juice right out of that battery pack in no time.

· Registered
327 Posts
I'm interested to see how the bolt will do this winter in Michigan. The weather app says 38 degrees Fahrenheit tonight.
Also the handling in snow. I'm not changing the tires, I like them so far.
I have a 105 mile trip every weekend one way but I can charge. I want to drive the bolt like my other vehicles and run the heat etc and see how bad it is compared to running the air conditioning and cooled seats the whole time.

· Registered
2022 Bolt - Silver Flare Metallic- LT1
453 Posts
I'm interested to see how the bolt will do this winter in Michigan. The weather app says 38 degrees Fahrenheit tonight.
I have a 105 mile trip every weekend one way but I can charge. I want to drive the bolt like my other vehicles and run the heat etc and see how bad it is compared to running the air conditioning and cooled seats the whole time.
I’ve only had my Bolt for 4 months now, and I’m very curious to see the hit that cold weather will bring. With autumn starting today, I guess I’ll find out real soon.

· Registered
4,132 Posts
Good luck with the OEM tires in Michigan winters. For us in northeastern Washingon winters, they are not suitable for real winter driving. Your results may vary, but FWIW, we run 16" Nokians on steel wheels.
I’ve only had my Bolt for 4 months now, and I’m very curious to see the hit that cold weather will bring. With autumn starting today, I guess I’ll find out real soon.
FWIW, we have six months of winter. Most trips are preconditioned on the grid, leave the HVAC set at 72 degrees on Auto, use heated seats and steering wheel about eight months of the year and our five year average is 3.5. In January-Feburary, we see range drop 40%; hilltop reserve as low as 125 mile estimate.

Bottom line - batteries are not as efficient in very cold weather and the resistance heater uses a lot of juice. By comparison the AC and cooled seats are almost unnoticeable consumption. I'll often lock our Bolt and leave the AC on when running errands on 100-degree days. The GOM range usually will not drop. Leave the heater on the same length of time and there will be a noticeable drop in range.

The little toy readout usually gives us a -5 score on Climate and -3 on Terrain; hey, we live in a hilly city in a cold climate.

jack vines

· Registered
2023 Bolt EUV
141 Posts
Speed makes a big difference. My 60 mile commute is almost all interstate highway with a 70mph speed limit. I generally have my cruise set somewhere around 79-82 where I average 3.2-3.3 with AC on.

· Registered
327 Posts
Good luck with the OEM tires in Michigan winters. For us in northeastern Washingon winters, they are not suitable for real winter driving. Your results may vary, but FWIW, we run 16" Nokians on steel wheels.

FWIW, we have six months of winter. Most trips are preconditioned on the grid, leave the HVAC set at 72 degrees on Auto, use heated seats and steering wheel about eight months of the year and our five year average is 3.5. In January-Feburary, we see range drop 40%; hilltop reserve as low as 125 mile estimate.

Bottom line - batteries are not as efficient in very cold weather and the resistance heater uses a lot of juice. By comparison the AC and cooled seats are almost unnoticeable consumption. I'll often lock our Bolt and leave the AC on when running errands on 100-degree days. The GOM range usually will not drop. Leave the heater on the same length of time and there will be a noticeable drop in range.

The little toy readout usually gives us a -5 score on Climate and -3 on Terrain; hey, we live in a hilly city in a cold climate.

jack vines
What temperature range brings on losing 40 percent?
The tires don't look that great for snow but I know they will work for the area and conditions I will be driving in. But I know if a huge freak snow storm hits it will mean trouble for the bolt and every other vehicle I own except my GMC four wheel drive truck if I don't know it's coming. I'll be driving the truck some this winter. I've been in some hairy situations on two tracks in the national forest areas.
But I know GM will come and rescue me if I'm in trouble it says in the written literature. Lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts