Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Historically, when gas prices go down, so do the sales of electric vehicles. This time around things are going a bit differently though.

EVs and hybrids appear to be affected differently by the lowering of gas prices. Hybrids are going down in sales (this includes the Prius). On the other hand, EVs are seeing their sales remain stable (in some cases they are even going up.)

Vehicles like the BMW i3, VW e-Golf, and Tesla Model S are all doing quite well. The Chevy Volt and Nissan Leaf have seen sales dip a bit, but are expecting solid sales in 2016.

In Europe, both EVs and hybrids are seeing sales increase with an 80 percent increase recorded for the combined green car market. This may be due to higher fuel prices in Europe. It also explains EVs selling at a record pace in China where high fuel prices are also a reality.

...while fuel prices will fluctuate, the price of installing a charger system at home is expected to maintain, and as battery technology progresses, the prices of EVs are expected to continue to fall. In short, gas might be the “right now” and gas might be around for a long time to come, but the price of a gallon of regular will surely go back up, and when that comes, there will be a group of smart owners who bet big on EVs when everyone else as burning fossils.
http://news.boldride.com/2016/02/ev-fuel-prices/98839/

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
And gas is going to go back up at some point. I think there was a gas price dip like this around 2008 but it went right back up. People are rushing to buy trucks because of the low gas prices but they're gonna feel it later on.

·
Registered
52 Posts
It does indeed appear that sales of plug-in cars are relatively insensitive to the price of gas. Last month was a record January for plug-in sales in the US, up 4%, despite lower gas prices than the year earlier.

·
Registered
639 Posts
And gas is going to go back up at some point. I think there was a gas price dip like this around 2008 but it went right back up. People are rushing to buy trucks because of the low gas prices but they're gonna feel it later on.
The smart ones will be those getting in for a short term USED purchase. Rather not buy brand new, suffer that initial loss of it rolling out the dealer and then another big hit from what gas prices will do.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, that particular dip in gas prices was actually due to decreased demand because so many businesses and, consequently, individuals did not have the money for gas or simply did not need the gas because they were driving or delivering or producing less.

But I do agree that gas prices will go back up in a few years. if anyone doesn't think that they are delusional (in my opinion).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts