Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sharing here, not knowing if anyone else has this experience.

I'm finding that when I head out in the morning after the car has been on the charger all night that low gear regenerative braking is very slight (kw return confirms this) and that the paddle to increase regenerative is not responding. 5-10 minutes into the drive, the issue goes away.

Has anyone else had this experience?

·
Registered
929 Posts
When the battery is topped off it cannot accept much regen. You can see this on the dash as the green regen symbol will be greyed out. Also there is a line on the watt meter showing where the cut off point is on max regen ability. The thin white line gradually lowers down as you drive until it drops off the bottom when all is normal. Then your green regen symbol will return.

You can prevent this from happening if you wish by turning on hilltop reserve mode.

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Cherry Red
118 Posts
Usually happens when I am fully charge on hills, like here in the mountains, I usually start out in D drop only to L after I've driven enough miles to start to start a good regen, often only 5-10 miles and only on the down slope, then the regen can really kick in.
that is in MHO.

Sharing here, not knowing if anyone else has this experience.

I'm finding that when I head out in the morning after the car has been on the charger all night that low gear regenerative braking is very slight (kw return confirms this) and that the paddle to increase regenerative is not responding. 5-10 minutes into the drive, the issue goes away.

Has anyone else had this experience?

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Yes, here's my experience with no-brake-pedal regenerative braking force, using L+paddle when battery virtually "full".

The regen icon towards the right side of the 8" inch screen is grayed out all during this time. This may be accompanied by a light line below 0 kw's indicating the restricted level of regen-braking kw's available. At slow speeds the braking force seems pretty good regardless.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Usually happens when I am fully charge on hills, like here in the mountains, I usually start out in D drop only to L after I've driven enough miles to start to start a good regen, often only 5-10 miles and only on the down slope, then the regen can really kick in.
that is in MHO.
Ahhhhh.....I think I realized what's happening. With the car battery topped off, there's really nowhere for the scavenged energy to go, so the electronics override my input. I'll play with it a bit more to see if it's happening at any other time, i.e., less than full charge.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
This is totally normal. 100% charge means little regenerative braking at first. This is even documented in the manual. Page 213 of the 2017 manual.

Want full regenerative braking? Turn on Hill Top Reserve.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.